News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

[IDEA] Deconstructing Discordianism

Started by Cain, June 09, 2009, 08:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on June 12, 2009, 07:05:34 AM
Quotei still don't follow this, why do books and society end because people think for themselves? are you saying TFYS means every body must invent there own language and stop all communication with others? that the wheel and all human creations/advancements would be invalid to use unless you dissect it rebuild it for yourself?

I think that they're taking it not to it's logical conclusion but to a hypothetical extreme. Where TFYS is so dominant in everyone that they refuse to take in any information that they didn't think up themselves. Or at least that's what I think is the idea.

Now that's rather interesting. One interpretation of TFYS,S! taken to a rational* extreme results in solipsism. It's the BIP without the Barstool.

*btw, I prefer the term "rational" over "logical" in this context for reasons that I can't quite remember because my coffee hasn't kicked in yet

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cainad on June 12, 2009, 03:18:07 PM
*btw, I prefer the term "rational" over "logical" in this context for reasons that I can't quite remember because my coffee hasn't kicked in yet

Okay, I think I've got it now. "Logical" tends to suggest an undeniable conclusion based on the information present. Applying that to deconstructionism sort of seems like Vulcan Logic to me. "Rational" tends to suggest a train of thought that, when explained, seems to make sense, but is not necessarily irrefutable.

This, however, is probably just a personal thing based on the connotations I associate with the words. So this can all be ignored.

The Wizard

Fair enough. But back to the original discussion...how else might TFY'S end up?
Insanity we trust.

Arafelis

It occurs to me that I have not seen any mention of "V" in this thread, and yet, it does at least one form of almost exactly what we are looking for... just extend the probable outcome of anarchy to the situation described in the novel.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Triple Zero

how about if you combine the ultra-skepticism of extreme TFYS with Discordian Pranksterity?

you could have citations-checking, logical-conclusion-making, for-themselves-thinking Discordians form complicated networks of AWS-style disinfo cabals, trying to outwit the other disinfo cabals, in order to put up tests to see if they're Really Real enough and Think through the disinfo, or have fallen for the fake news. Partly like a competition, partly for control of the "infosphere" (or whatever) and also partly out of religious duty, because the holy Operation Mindfuck is what keeps everybody on their toes, after all they have to be constantly wary that they are not tricked.

But little do they know (of course) that the longer O:MF is going on, the more reality is breaking down, nobody knows what's true anymore, and it doesn't really matter shitfuck anymore if you think for yourself or not, because everything is false, nothing is true :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 15, 2009, 10:19:38 AM
how about if you combine the ultra-skepticism of extreme TFYS with Discordian Pranksterity?

you could have citations-checking, logical-conclusion-making, for-themselves-thinking Discordians form complicated networks of AWS-style disinfo cabals, trying to outwit the other disinfo cabals, in order to put up tests to see if they're Really Real enough and Think through the disinfo, or have fallen for the fake news. Partly like a competition, partly for control of the "infosphere" (or whatever) and also partly out of religious duty, because the holy Operation Mindfuck is what keeps everybody on their toes, after all they have to be constantly wary that they are not tricked.

But little do they know (of course) that the longer O:MF is going on, the more reality is breaking down, nobody knows what's true anymore, and it doesn't really matter shitfuck anymore if you think for yourself or not, because everything is false, nothing is true :lulz:

But, then, how does this differ from today? Well, other than the intent, perhaps, on the part of FOX, CNN, etc.  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I posit that FOX news is in fact an extremely lucky OM project gone out of hand, like Perl.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 15, 2009, 04:08:49 PM
I posit that FOX news is in fact an extremely lucky OM project gone out of hand, like Perl.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Triple Zero

:mittens:

also, Rat, if the end result is like today or not doesnt matter. the point is the mechanics and reasons of the discordians behind it. unless I got the wrong idea, pushing stuff to their extreme conclusions, in this case pranksterism and skepsis, is the point? and if this conclusion happens to (superficially) resemble the current world, well, I would personally say that sounds like a very interesting find.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 16, 2009, 02:54:07 AM

:mittens:

also, Rat, if the end result is like today or not doesnt matter. the point is the mechanics and reasons of the discordians behind it. unless I got the wrong idea, pushing stuff to their extreme conclusions, in this case pranksterism and skepsis, is the point? and if this conclusion happens to (superficially) resemble the current world, well, I would personally say that sounds like a very interesting find.

I agree....

Prehaps there has been a long running Discordian infiltration of the System...

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Here's what I want to know from this thread:
Are we looking for a Deluze style deconstruction, or a TvTropes style deconstruction? Because one is an analysis, and the other is a narrative based on/creating the analysis. Both is fine with me; I just don't want to be posting one while everyone else is thinking of the other.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 16, 2009, 04:27:43 AM
Here's what I want to know from this thread:
Are we looking for a Deluze style deconstruction, or a TvTropes style deconstruction? Because one is an analysis, and the other is a narrative based on/creating the analysis. Both is fine with me; I just don't want to be posting one while everyone else is thinking of the other.

:pax:

Good luck sir.

I think there are more ways to deconstruct discordia than I could shake a baby at.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Eater of Clowns

Want to see Discordianism deconstructed?  Read this thread from beginning to end, following the concept from its formation and into its various interpretations, detractions, and elaborations.  That is Discordianism deconstructed.

Apply to whichever facet of the religion you wish.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cainad (dec.)

That interpretation certainly makes me feel better about our efforts ITT :lulz: