News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Bridge Deconstruction Ahead

Started by Arafelis, June 10, 2009, 07:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I can actually think of four members who are grad students or, were, or will be very soon, off the top of my head.  Most of the rest have either gone to University, are still attending or have the equivalent level of intelligence to have gone, other circumstances permitting.

We're not quite the brain factory that, say, the xkcd forums are, where the vast majority of their sizeable membership are sciences or computing grad students, but we're not shabby.  Unfortunately, I chose to study a topic nearly everyone thinks they know something about, but do not, which means I don't like to discuss it since I'll then have to spend my time refuting idiots.  Not here, just generally.  I'm starting to feel a lot of sympathy with the scientists who keep rebutting creationists.

Kai

Yeah, several people here with masters degrees, currently in graduate school or will soon be going to graduate school. Many others have at least a BA or BS, and the vast majority of people who don't are very intelligent folks so nobody gives a shit.

Those who wander in used to being the smartest person in the room are probably going to make a fool of themselves.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: Arafelis on June 26, 2009, 05:21:42 AM
Hehehe.  That'd be a good newsfeed:

PD.com: Equivalent to a room full of grad students!

Yes, because you are somehow so much above those who partake masters study and beyond because you have a BA IN PHILOSOPHY! AMAZING! Those learned individuals of great intelligence have nothing on you.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

LMNO

I dropped out of school when I was 16.

Luckily, I read a lot.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on June 26, 2009, 12:58:26 PM

Yes, because you are somehow so much above those who partake masters study and beyond because you have a BA IN PHILOSOPHY! AMAZING! Those learned individuals of great intelligence have nothing on you.

Better yet, I didn't actually get the impression that he finished his BA. So he's a philosophy dropout.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on June 26, 2009, 01:32:06 PM
I dropped out of school when I was 16.

Luckily, I read a lot.

I dropped out when I was 8. Depending on who you ask.

Like you, I read a lot.

LMNO

Actually, I was lying.

I have a PhD in AWESOME.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I have a sexy learning disability. I call it, sexlexia.
        \

Roaring Biscuit!

LMNO

Roaring Biscuit!

mines from oxford.

EDIT:  just to clarify that was a joke  I in fact do not have any sort of degree from oxford university.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My friend just got her doctorate from Oxford. I should get her on here so that Arafelis can talk down to her.  :lulz:

Cain

Our deputy PM studied in Oxford.

Note: not at Oxford University, he studied at a technical college located in the outskirts of Oxford.

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on June 26, 2009, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: Kai on June 26, 2009, 12:58:26 PM

Better yet, I didn't actually get the impression that he finished his BA. So he's a philosophy dropout.

:lulz:

Don't we have a MA in Philosophy/Religious Studies floating around here somewhere? He did his thesis on Discordia IIRC.

Also, in clarification, I wasn't thumbing my nose at any members (besides Arafelis). I don't mean to imply anything like education = intelligence in any way shape or form, seriously. I know no one suggested I said that; I I'm just putting it out there as a preemptive measure.