Main Menu

Samsara

Started by Arafelis, June 11, 2009, 05:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 23, 2009, 07:32:05 AM
Eris goes nuts cause she doesn't get invited to a party
Mohammad beheads infidels who draw his ugly mug
Jesus appears at the end of the book dripping in blood and throwing swords out of his mouth
and
Buddha... makes dogs happy
:|

On the whole, I sympathize most with Eris.  In fact, I would have done worse.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Honey

I like the Egyptian? Arabic? expression, "Not all fingers are the same."  When you say it, it's also nice to wiggle or wave your fingers.   :wave:

QuoteIf the mind is happy, not only the body but the whole world will be happy.  So one must find out how to become happy oneself.  Wanting to reform the world without discovering one's true self is like trying to cover the whole world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones & thorns.  It is much simpler to wear shoes.
-Ramana Maharshi

Make mine spiked!

Pan is not dead.  Neither is Eris.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Kai

Quote from: yhnmzw on June 25, 2009, 02:55:37 AM
Quote from: Kai on June 23, 2009, 06:06:25 PM
Sounds like Karma is the first four circuits out of control.

Maybe just operating in a closed system without input.  Or, "doing exactly what they're built to do."  One "wise man" I read a few paragraphs of said that wise men had to manufacture their own karma to survive (remain in contact with the lower circuits).  I'd classify that as providing new input.

Also, RAW suggested in Illuminatus! a forcible process with end result of schizophrenia or illumination.  (Read: the survival instinct is shut down, what replaces it, if anything?)  It's just a plot point, I guess, but a viable illustration nonetheless.

Also, it's why you can't escape the machine alive.

Antero Alli (Cf. Angel Tech) suggests that when one of the first four circuits is overloaded (or shut down), it leads to insanity, rather than wisdom. The first four are needed to ground the individual. Only when that occurs can you take on the upper circuits.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

I kind of agree, but at a different angle: When weird shit happens, you need to be able to understand what your circuits are doing; otherwise, they just run their default programs.

However, I also thing that attempting to deliberately overload one of your circuits is a great way of "re-imprinting" (Leary), or "Reverse engineering the robot" (me) -- That is, when you analyze how your body and mind freaked out, you can understand how that circuit or program works, and then you can begin to get control of it.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2009, 02:58:49 PM
I kind of agree, but at a different angle: When weird shit happens, you need to be able to understand what your circuits are doing; otherwise, they just run their default programs.

However, I also thing that attempting to deliberately overload one of your circuits is a great way of "re-imprinting" (Leary), or "Reverse engineering the robot" (me) -- That is, when you analyze how your body and mind freaked out, you can understand how that circuit or program works, and then you can begin to get control of it.

Well yeah, shock puts you in an experience of the self that is a defeat for the ego, getting into a state where you can reprogram. However, it works best if you reprogram your lower circuits before you work on the programming of your higher circuits.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

LMNO

True dat.  But keep in mind that I'm dubious of anything above the 5th circuit.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2009, 03:25:42 PM
True dat.  But keep in mind that I'm dubious of anything above the 5th circuit.

Rapture is as far as you go, eh?

LMNO

As far as I've experienced/gained glimpses. Ok, maybe 6th circuit, as it seems to deal with reprogramming.* 

Genetic memory, ESP, quantum consciousness?  Eh, the jury's still out.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2009, 03:32:52 PM
As far as I've experienced/gained glimpses. Ok, maybe 6th circuit, as it seems to deal with reprogramming.* 

Genetic memory, ESP, quantum consciousness?  Eh, the jury's still out.

I think those latter things are just different names for other things. I'm not sure what those other things are yet, or how they work, but I'll let you know when I get there.

LMNO

Whoops.  Forgot to add my footnote.

* If the 6th circuit is metaprogramming, then how the hell do you re-program the lower circuits so you can get tho the 6th circuit in the first place?

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2009, 03:54:13 PM
* If the 6th circuit is metaprogramming, then how the hell do you re-program the lower circuits so you can get tho the 6th circuit in the first place?

I thought the 6th circuit was an extention of the emotional circuit, a realization of the relativity of life, or the equality of value?

I guess I fudged a bit above. Alli talks about not the reprogramming of your robot at the lower circuit work, but rather the awareness of it and of cementing yourself in some sort of map (at least for a time). The idea is, you have to have some sort of reality to start with, you can only change whats already there. If you're stuck in existentialism without a clear reality from which to work, you can't really change anything cause you don't have anything to change.

Or maybe its supposed to be contradictory.

LMNO

No, it makes sense.  If all your circuts are freaking out, it's like a blank piece of paper and no pencil.  Everything is possible, so nothing can be done.  Immobilized by infinite perception.  Since humans are pattern makers, they cannot function without a pattern.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on June 25, 2009, 04:03:45 PM
No, it makes sense.  If all your circuts are freaking out, it's like a blank piece of paper and no pencil.  Everything is possible, so nothing can be done.  Immobilized by infinite perception.  Since humans are pattern makers, they cannot function without a pattern.

Yeah, you gotta have a pattern to start with  :) Then you can change it.

Cain

And I thought psychoanalysis was a bullshit magnet.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on June 25, 2009, 04:14:51 PM
And I thought psychoanalysis was a bullshit magnet.

Oh, you.