News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Samsara

Started by Arafelis, June 11, 2009, 05:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arafelis

(k) me, except quotes, which belong to their copyright holders (probably Audioslave and WB or DC).
-----

a bullet is a man
from time to time he strays
i compare my life to this;
to this i relate

What's the proof of a bullet?

Some people say it's the hole.  Others say it's around 120%.  Someone said it was ideas.

Me, I'm inclined to go with the last one.  It's certainly the proof of me.

Billions of minds have preceded my own.  Each of those people left a legacy; material, genetic... memetic.  And they all have died or will die, just like I'm going to some day.  Some folks believe that the mind stops at death.  Some folks believe the spirit persists; that there's another life afterwards.  In paradise or purgatory, in hell or on earth.  Sometimes people worry about what's going to happen to them after they're dead... some because the infinite gulf of nothingness that comes, the unimaginability of which bears down on their living mind now.  Others because they fear very sensual tortures at the hands and hooves of beasts or other damned souls.  I ain't worried.  I believe in reincarnation.

Some Buddhists call the cycle of reincarnation "samsara."  To them, it's a Wheel to be escaped -- a messy thing of unending causality, of aversions and attractions and confusion.  Of the pain of having or not having, pain that is to be purely transcended.  I'm with them right up until the transcendence part... life is messy and painful.  But I wouldn't want it any other way.

Of course, I don't really know or much care if I've got a "soul."  If that's all that lasted after my death, what's the point?  It's not like you get to take anything with you.  The people who claim otherwise are, in my experience, a pile of hucksters and frauds and their dupes.  The best "argument" I've heard suggests that there's some utopian kingdom we all (or some of us) get to go to, where we're with our families (the ones who make it) and a bunch of other dead people, and get fed spiritual Prozac by being thigh-high in the Almighty Presence.  What's the point?  If Heaven's so much like heroin, what's all the fuss of waiting for death about?

No.  Besides, I know who I'm the reincarnation of.  I'm the reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln and Socrates, Charles Babbage and Jesus, Ayn Rand and Marx.  I may not be the whole package, but I've got pieces of each of them -- everyone I've respected or despised enough to study.  Little pieces of their minds that got ground off in the Wheel and floated down the stream to me, mutated and recombined by strange ages.  It's almost a sure bet that someone who lived before me felt a lot of what I've felt, believed a lot of what I've believed.  Whoever that shithead was: I hope I make him or her proud.

And when I die, I may not leave behind much, but I've got faith that nothing that made me up is lost.  I don't believe in a universe that wastes.  Entropy, sure, but that ain't the same animal.

When the next shithead down the line puts this all together, I hope they think this next part, too:  Do good.  Do well.  Do better.  I'm dead, shithead.  It's your turn now.

So kill me.

Die!
Die!
Why won't you die?... Why won't you die?

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.  
And ideas are bullet-proof.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

I give this a 1/9.

Because you're a randite swine.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Arafelis

Always with pigs the past few days.  There must be something going -----

That was creepy.  I didn't even realize what I was about to say.

Anyway, Rand's not on the 'respected' list.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Arafelis on June 12, 2009, 05:49:59 AM
Always with pigs the past few days.  There must be something going -----

That was creepy.  I didn't even realize what I was about to say.

Anyway, Rand's not on the 'respected' list.

Rand was a half wit and more than a bit of a hypocrite.  She wrote like a 3rd rate romance novelist, and had the political ideology of a college-aged Nazi.

Great example.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Arafelis

QuoteRand was a half wit and more than a bit of a hypocrite.  She wrote like a 3rd rate romance novelist, and had the political ideology of a college-aged Nazi.

Third rate?  I think you're selling her a bit too highly.  Unless you share some of her fetishes.

She was also a major influence on the 20-year chairman of the Fed.  She could've been Barney the fucking Dinosaur and I would've tried to understand her philosophy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Arafelis on June 12, 2009, 06:03:16 AM
QuoteRand was a half wit and more than a bit of a hypocrite.  She wrote like a 3rd rate romance novelist, and had the political ideology of a college-aged Nazi.

Third rate?  I think you're selling her a bit too highly.  Unless you share some of her fetishes.

She was also a major influence on the 20-year chairman of the Fed.  She could've been Barney the fucking Dinosaur and I would've tried to understand her philosophy.

Don't look at me, I'm not the one that claimed to be her reincarnation.   :lulz:

Arafelis

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2009, 06:08:22 AM
Don't look at me, I'm not the one that claimed to be her reincarnation.   :lulz:

It would be a shame if you were only the reincarnation of people that you liked.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Arafelis on June 12, 2009, 06:12:55 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2009, 06:08:22 AM

It would be a shame if you were only the reincarnation of people that you liked.

I wouldn't exist.

However, there is no Ayn Rand in me.  A little Phyllis Diller, maybe.

So, how's Objectivism working out for you, Ayn?

Arafelis

Pretty shittily, I gotta say.  Recently the most famous one admitted that he might have accidentally misunderstood humanity and could be potentially responsible for the downfall of Western society.

However, the Jesus part keeps saying, "toldja so!".

Dickweed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Arafelis on June 12, 2009, 06:19:36 AM
Pretty shittily, I gotta say.  Recently the most famous one admitted that he might have accidentally misunderstood humanity and could be potentially responsible for the downfall of Western society.

However, the Jesus part keeps saying, "toldja so!".

Dickweed.

Naw, you're supposed to be all about why it's okay for John Galt to rape women, as long as he is that woman's ideal man.

Arafelis

Fuck Galt.  And men!  She's bouncing around in my head with Salome.

Now there's a ship.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Arafelis on June 12, 2009, 06:26:42 AM
Fuck Galt.  And men!  She's bouncing around in my head with Salome.

Now there's a ship.

Doin' it wrong.

The Wizard

Huh. So are you actually saying that you're the literal reincarnation of those people, or that by studying them, they kind of live again through how you use their ideas?
Insanity we trust.

Arafelis

Closer to the second one.

The Wizard

Okay. Now this makes a lot more sense. Sorry about Marx more than the Rand. Both were idiots, but Marx led to Rand.
Insanity we trust.