News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Im nearly done Illuminatus

Started by ekimdrachir, June 12, 2009, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekimdrachir

I read Principia Discordia last year. I actually felt whole new levels of awareness snapping in my brain this last week as I am learning new things, and its all cascading, or compounding, or compressing, or something. Its pretty tough stuff to handle, and this world is more complicated than anyone dares to face. Im a bit confused on some levels. So you have the Scientists, the Freedom group ( which is the discordians, fighting against the scientists ) and theres also a nothingness group in there somewhere. Is everything else pretty much just offshoots of those three, or is there an alternative to the apple/pentagon options? Also, are humans 'cursed' to know "good and evil" because of our physiology? aka no way to escape it? maybe this question is dumb because I havent finished illuminatus already, but the last two weeks have been fucked, and this whole year has been fucked, and what the fuck!!

Cain

I would highly suggest you re-read Illuminatus! after you finish it.  Give it a few days to sink in and try again.  If you're not used to the writing style, certain details will escape you.

Almost everything is answered within the text, you just have to pay attention.  A notebook may also be useful.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I agree with Cain. Bob and Bob wrote the book in a style that in theory should force your brain to find patterns in the text in ways different than normal books. It can take some time to get used to. But in short the answer to all of your questions are "Yes", "No", "Maybe" in whatever order you would like.  :wink:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

ekimdrachir

hooplala

I second the second reading.  I understood a lot more the second time around.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Kai

Must be a good book then, if it deserves a second reading.

Maybe I should actually read it sometime.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 12, 2009, 09:32:20 PM
I would highly suggest you re-read Illuminatus! after you finish it.  Give it a few days to sink in and try again.  If you're not used to the writing style, certain details will escape you.

Almost everything is answered within the text, you just have to pay attention.  A notebook may also be useful.

Also, make sure to read the appendices.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Oh yeah, for sure.  That's where most of the explanatory information is, IMO.

Elezar th Apostate

I find that Illuminatus is best understood by not reading it at all.  Instead, one should tear out each page of the book and order them alphabetically by the first word(s) on each odd page, excluding titles and such.  Then flip it all over as a bundle and write down the first letter of the first word on each even page one by one.  Next, develop a simple letter-for-letter exchange decryption to translate the chaotic jumble of letters from even pages into actual words.  This is the part that tests you for at least some modicum of intelligence.  Follow the directions to the designated location and make the indicated inquiry at the service counter.  This works with the fifth printed edition of the paperback version, although I can't say I have tried any others.

Once you hear it all from someone who really understands it, it's all just so clear, so obvious, so frightening.

Elezar the Apostate

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I read 2/3 of it and then stalled out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Elezar th Apostate on June 14, 2009, 09:51:25 AM
I find that Illuminatus is best understood by not reading it at all.  Instead, one should tear out each page of the book and order them alphabetically by the first word(s) on each odd page, excluding titles and such.  Then flip it all over as a bundle and write down the first letter of the first word on each even page one by one.  Next, develop a simple letter-for-letter exchange decryption to translate the chaotic jumble of letters from even pages into actual words.  This is the part that tests you for at least some modicum of intelligence.  Follow the directions to the designated location and make the indicated inquiry at the service counter.  This works with the fifth printed edition of the paperback version, although I can't say I have tried any others.

Once you hear it all from someone who really understands it, it's all just so clear, so obvious, so frightening.

Elezar the Apostate

I thought everyone knew this?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on June 15, 2009, 05:06:51 PM
Quote from: Elezar th Apostate on June 14, 2009, 09:51:25 AM

Elezar the Apostate

I thought everyone knew this?

I think I saw a nearly identical statement about Joyce once before....

ekimdrachir

I can tell I am going to have to start at the beginning again as soon as I finish first reading. Im nearly finished the fourth trip, Hagbard and Malik are talking about whether or not they are saving the world.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: ekimdrachir on June 16, 2009, 04:59:45 PM
I can tell I am going to have to start at the beginning again as soon as I finish first reading. Im nearly finished the fourth trip, Hagbard and Malik are talking about whether or not they are saving the world.

See, that book is so froody that even the characters aren't sure what they're doing. Once you get enough of TIT, you can aim for Schroedinger's Cat. It will warp your brain in entirely new and different ways, leaving you looking for Flying Rehnquist and overall, a smell of fried onions.

hooplala

And, of course, No Wife No Horse No Mustache.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman