News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Everyone's a winner baby

Started by Cain, June 13, 2009, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Well, in the Iran election at least.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8098305.stm

QuoteThe two main candidates in Iran's presidential election have claimed victory after voting closed in a poll that has drawn a large turnout.

State media said hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had won, and officials said he had got 67% of the 15 million votes so far counted.

But reformist challenger Mir Hossein Mousavi told a news conference that he had won by a substantial margin.

Mr Mousavi also complained of a number of voting irregularities.

He said there had been a shortage of ballot papers and millions of people had been denied the right to vote.

His election monitors were not allowed enough access to polling stations, he added, saying he would deal seriously with any fraud.

"[We] are waiting for the counting of votes to officially end and explanations of these irregularities to be given," Mr Mousavi said.

Chairman Risus

Weird.

I thought I had won the Iranian elections.

Cain

Clearly am I the real winner here.

I demand a recount!

Suu

Should this come as a surprise to anyone?

Did we REALLY think Ahmadinejad would just up and say, "Okay my term's over. Later guys!" ?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

It really depends (as always) on who the Supreme Ayatollah prefers more.  And that canny old bastard knew claims from both of them would muddy the waters, allowing him to exert his influence, probably via the courts and media, to crown whichever one he has decided he likes more.

As to which one that actually is...its hard to say.  It'll reveal a lot about his stance towards the USA since Obama came to power though.

Cain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8098305.stm

QuoteMahmoud Ahmadinejad has been re-elected as president of Iran with a resounding victory, the electoral commission says.

With more than 80% of results in, the commission said he won 63% support in an election marked by high turnout.

Reformist Mir Hossein Mousavi also claimed victory, calling the result a "dangerous charade", as supporters vowed to appeal for a re-run.

Police have sealed off Mr Mousavi's campaign HQ, preventing his supporters from holding a news conference.

One opposition newspaper has been closed down and BBC websites also appear to have been blocked by the Iranian authorities.

Adios

One of them needs to hire Al Gore as a recount consultant.  :lulz:

Cain

Mousavi's supporters seem to be contesting the vote with bricks and pieces of 2x4.

Naturally, I approve.

Also, North Korea is annoyed that it has been upstaged by Iran as a threat to international security again, so its doing its Starscream impersonation as best as it can.  Its quite funny actually, once you realize launching a nuke is literally the last thing in the world they want to do.  Every time attention is taken away from them to another international incident, they try to grab it back.