News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Rev Roger Heresy #4: Rejecting Malaclypse the Younger.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 01, 2004, 07:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Orrin is just .....ummm.....Orrin.

The Hatches are actually pretty nutz.
Completely rebellious, discordian type jack Mormons. Orrin's the white sheep of the family.
I haven't a clue where he came from or how he manages to be so stuffy coming from a family like ours.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomOrrin is just .....ummm.....Orrin.

Completely rebellious, discordian type jack Mormons. Orrin's the white sheep of the family.
I haven't a clue where he came from or how he manages to be so stuffy coming from a family like ours.

Double recessives kicking in?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bella

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomOrrin is just .....ummm.....Orrin.

Double recessives kicking in?
Yup, we're from Utah, remember?

Lots of double cousins in the family trees in Utah.
just like in a dream

Guido Finucci

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerLet me start off by stating that Malaclypse the Younger is ... alive and well, and living in Cleveland, Ohio.

Second, his book, Principia Discordia is gibberish.  Utter rot.

Okay. (Mr. Thornley is dead and well cold by now, just BTW.) I'm still a happy rule-following weekend Discordian wannabe stuck in the pages of the Principia who still has problems eating hot dog buns because I don't know any better.

Sure, I could fake the rhetoric and even convince myself to walk the talk so I could get with the 'in' crowd.

Fact is, I'm just some kid raised by New Age dusk-squeezers who deeply desires to hug a tree, be nice to everyone and curl up with a tasty drink somewhere where the nasty monsters won't get him.

I don't think I had a point.

Guido Finucci

Oh yeah - I did have a point and it wasn't to do with hippie existential angst.

<ahem>

Since when did opposition equal discord? For that matter, since when did destruction equal discord? When did entropy equal discord?

DJRubberducky

Quote from: Guido FinucciWhen did entropy equal discord?
Heh - since the rest of the world naturally tends toward entropy, does that mean the "real discordians" need to start spreading rejuvenation? :twisted:
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Prince Tao Jones

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerBeware, O ye of little faith, for the things I am about to say will piss thee off to no fucking end.  

Let me start off by stating that Malaclypse the Younger is, and always has been a fraud.  That's right.  Bogus.  Phoney.  His real name is Kerry Thornley, and he did NOT "walk into the ocean" thirty years ago.  He is alive and well, and living in Cleveland, Ohio.

Second, his book, Principia Discordia is gibberish.  Utter rot.  It has two or three good jokes in it, and one (1) good idea.  It's basically an acid rant that reads like the end of a Robert Anton Wilson novel...which is to say, it's garbage.  The one good idea, of course, being that you should think for yourself.  Obviously, some backsliders like to quote it and/or insist that people act according to its "teachings" if they want to be a "true" Discordian.

Obviously bullshit.

In fact, this false prophet and his teachings have led countless Discordians astray.  They have been led to believe that, to be a discordian, one must act as if one was tripping, even when NOT under the influence of psychadelic drugs.  It has led people to believe that Eris is some demented aspect of Bacchus, where we all focus on having a good time.  Poetry, games, inebriation, etc.

Sorry, wrong Gawd.

Eris is the goddess of DISCORD.  Take a minute, and look that word up.  I'll wait.

Back now?  Good, we'll continue.

DISCORDianism.  The adherence to, and spreading of, DISCORD.  Tear the filthy thing down.  Smash it, and drive the survivors into the wasteland...and it doesn't really matter what "it" is.  We are the adherents of OPPOSITION.  We oppose for the sake of opposition itself.  We don't take sides, we don't play favorites, and it's a wonder that we are a "we" at all.

We are the proxies of entropy, not a fucking coffee house poetry club.  We back the wrong horse, in the sheer hope of clogging up the guts of the machine, and it really makes no difference if the "machine" is malevolent or benign...Because, to us, NO organization is "benign".

You simply aren't going to gain the favor of the goddess by playing "three word game".  She'd rather see you shoving chewing gum in the coin slots of the subway entrance stiles, or simply playing "let's you and him fight".

The higher up in an organization that you can cause chaos, the more Eris will shower you with her blessings.  Avoid being caught (so you can do it again), and she'll even take them out of the big, heavy can first.

So spare me the quotes and the anecdotes from Principia.  Forget that old fraud, Malaclypse, because Eris already has.  

Or kill me.

This Is The Kind of Shit We Have To Put Up With Department

Thanks for the confession, yet the big question is why do you post on a forum that is based on what you consider gibberish?

You neglect to address the different types of chaos.

Also if you study the goddess there are two Eris'

"It was never true that there was only one Eris. There have always been two on earth. There is one you could like when you understand her. The other is hateful. The two Erites have separate natures. There is one Eris who builds up evil war, and slaughter. She is harsh; no man loves her, but under compulsion and by will of the immortals, men promote this rough Eris (Strife).
But the other one was born the elder daughter of black Nyx. The son of Kronos, who sits on high and dwells in the bright air set her in the roots of the earth and among men; she is far kinder. She pushes the shiftless man to work, for all his laziness. A man looks at his neighbour, who is rich: then he too wants work; for the rich man presses on with his ploughing and planting and ordering of his estate. So the neighbour envies the neighbour who presses on toward wealth. Such Eris (Strife) is a good friend to mortals." -Works and Days 11f

"One [Eris] is Trouble and Fighting. But the other is only Healthy Competition." -Works and Days 11

http://www.theoi.com/Khaos/Eris.html

Some of us find the principia not gibberish, rather a mock philosophy that's a methaphor to wake people up from gibberish.

So, my probing proved true.

I was criticized and personally attacked for saying the posts here reflect heretical opinions, and you 3 have all admited you think the principia is a bunch of crap.

I find it a clever metaphor for the state of society on the planet, and  the most productive way of actively working against it for change. I find it a funny way to dispell gibberish as apposed to being gibberish itself.

I also find it a way of bringing Taoism into the 20th century.

Most people feel Monty Python did more for social change than the hippies, and I tend to agree, with their mindfucking skits and films.

I believe that there is positive and negative order and chaos and believe in the promotion of the positive.

I believed these things prior to reading the principia, yet find it well articulated in the principia.

I belive there are enlightened and cabbages, saint-like jakers and greyfaces, people who want social norms and who get angry when they see people being free and happy, or having harmless fun.

Even if all the mindfucking and jaking doesn't change anything, it still made people think.

Even if all doesn't make people think, I still had fun, and on my death bed, I will leave with a good conscious knowing I didn't spend my life in fear of what other's thought nor lived my life based on it.

So, as others have mentioned the spiritual aspect, sticking gum in the subway gates, I being part gnostic part prankster, find that destructive chaos, and yielding nothing but bad karma.

So the big point is I think you're opinion corrupts the impressionable or people here checking out what principia discordianism is all about and I'm trying to point out the contradictions between those here and the actual principia, which you find crap.

If you believe in the negative Eris as being a positve and destructive chaos as a positve, then I will challenge it and hope those who just come here for some pseudo social acceptance's little brain nuerons may start firing in the right side of their brains.

The big contradiction is that you say you want people to think for themselves, yet you attack anyone who doesn't think like you regardless of if what the?? say is true or not.

True following Greg Hill and Kerry Thornley's opinions isn't thinking for yourself, except if you follow the part of thinking for yourself. Which is what I think the whole point of them comming up with all this was about. Of course they weren't the first for saying think for yourself, but did it in a very creative way.

So, I think all this is great actually.

I thought the board needed to be redefined and clarified and it has been by some, and I encourage others to as well.

I'm very proud to have initiated it as well.
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common.  Locke, John

"It is by acts and not ideas that people live" - Anatole France

"Our wretched species is so mad that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road" - Voltaire

"The people to fear are not those who disagree with you, but those who disagree with you and are too cowardly to let you know" - Napoleon

"Everyone wishes to have truth on his side, but not everyone wishes to be on the side of truth." - Richard Whately

The way we live is the evidence of what we really want in life, no matter what we may say.
Charles Templeton

I GOT PINKED!!!!

Abolish the Atlantic in 2004

~~~~Closed~~~~

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerBeware, O ye of little faith, for the things I am about to say will piss thee off to no fucking end.  

Let me start off by stating that Malaclypse the Younger is, and always has been a fraud.  That's right.  Bogus.  Phoney.  His real name is Kerry Thornley, and he did NOT "walk into the ocean" thirty years ago.  He is alive and well, and living in Cleveland, Ohio.

Second, his book, Principia Discordia is gibberish.  Utter rot.  It has two or three good jokes in it, and one (1) good idea.  It's basically an acid rant that reads like the end of a Robert Anton Wilson novel...which is to say, it's garbage.  The one good idea, of course, being that you should think for yourself.  Obviously, some backsliders like to quote it and/or insist that people act according to its "teachings" if they want to be a "true" Discordian.

Obviously bullshit.

In fact, this false prophet and his teachings have led countless Discordians astray.  They have been led to believe that, to be a discordian, one must act as if one was tripping, even when NOT under the influence of psychadelic drugs.  It has led people to believe that Eris is some demented aspect of Bacchus, where we all focus on having a good time.  Poetry, games, inebriation, etc.

Sorry, wrong Gawd.

Eris is the goddess of DISCORD.  Take a minute, and look that word up.  I'll wait.

Back now?  Good, we'll continue.

DISCORDianism.  The adherence to, and spreading of, DISCORD.  Tear the filthy thing down.  Smash it, and drive the survivors into the wasteland...and it doesn't really matter what "it" is.  We are the adherents of OPPOSITION.  We oppose for the sake of opposition itself.  We don't take sides, we don't play favorites, and it's a wonder that we are a "we" at all.

We are the proxies of entropy, not a fucking coffee house poetry club.  We back the wrong horse, in the sheer hope of clogging up the guts of the machine, and it really makes no difference if the "machine" is malevolent or benign...Because, to us, NO organization is "benign".

You simply aren't going to gain the favor of the goddess by playing "three word game".  She'd rather see you shoving chewing gum in the coin slots of the subway entrance stiles, or simply playing "let's you and him fight".

The higher up in an organization that you can cause chaos, the more Eris will shower you with her blessings.  Avoid being caught (so you can do it again), and she'll even take them out of the big, heavy can first.

So spare me the quotes and the anecdotes from Principia.  Forget that old fraud, Malaclypse, because Eris already has.  

Or kill me.

This Is The Kind of Shit We Have To Put Up With Department

SUmmary. post. haste.

DJRubberducky

Roger is trying to simultaneously tell us to think for ourselves, and command us to abide by his definition of Discordianism.

Funny shit, actually.
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Bella

Quote from: DJRubberduckyRoger is trying to simultaneously tell us to think for ourselves, and command us to abide by his definition of Discordianism.

Funny shit, actually.
Exactly! That's the very reason it's funny.
just like in a dream

DJRubberducky

- DJRubberducky

chaosgraves:agentoferis

wait a minute here... a discordian is not to believe what they read and yet when one dosent believe what they read they are being heritics ?!?!?

some one please explain this lunacy.
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Colonel Failure

Well, well, well...

Where do I begin?

Quote from: TaoSome of us find the principia not gibberish, rather a mock philosophy that's a methaphor to wake people up from gibberish.

True. I happen to agree with that characterization. BUT ITS NOT DOGMA. IT IS NOT THE AUTHORITY TO WHICH ALL ARGUMENTS MAY BE DIRECTED FOR A DEFINITVE RESOLUTION. Unless you wanna. But personally, I have greater respect for the man who makes his own arguments, as opposed to quoting a book and saying, "Because it says so here."

And Rog's sermon is half a joke.... You know that, right?

QuoteI believe that there is positive and negative order and chaos and believe in the promotion of the positive...

...sticking gum in the subway gates, I being part gnostic part prankster, find that destructive chaos, and yielding nothing but bad karma.

Agreed. See my comments on Sermon 26 vis a vis the toothbrush thingy. I'll take issue with you on one (admittedly minor) semantic point. I believe there is positive and negative (or better yet, creative/destructive) order and disorder... CHAOS is the universe itself. CHAOS=ERIS=THE UNIVERSE. Order and disorder are merely manifestations of chaos, or as it's phrased in the Book of Eris (props to the Rev. Verthaine), Order and Disorder are opposite sides of the coin. CHAOS *is* the coin. Anyway, i'm not really disagreeing with you here, I just felt like being contrary.

So the big point is I think you're opinion corrupts the impressionable or people here checking out what principia discordianism is all about and I'm trying to point out the contradictions between those here and the actual principia, which you find crap.

Bullshit. Anybody who is so impressionable that they log on here, read the principia, read the Right Rev's Ranting, and immediately get the 'wrong' idea about Discordianism (as if there could be such a thing) isn't a Discordian and wasn't ever going to be one - they're a cabbage who wondered into the wrong corner of the web and got stuck like a deer in our headlights.

QuoteThe big contradiction is that you say you want people to think for themselves, yet you attack anyone who doesn't think like you regardless of if what the?? say is true or not.

And you're just as guilty of this. Antagonism breeds antagonism. That Shrub for St. thread got downright mean (though it seems to have settled down), and nobody who was participating is blameless. Point is, if we all want the same thing in the end, (namely, more freedom, less unneccessary order, and a general enlightenment of the masses), and we all agree that it's a huge undertaking that none of us can do alone, then we should all realize that we're the only help we're gonna get. This wouldn't be a Discordian forum if we all agreed on anything, and regardless of whether we think Bush should be a saint (I vote no, he's an Avatar, and that's it, but that doesn't mean somebody else can't cannonize him - we're all infallable Popes, remember?), there's no reason to go name-calling or implying that 'my' Discordianism isn't as 'true' as 'your' Discordianism.

The only thing that makes 'your' Discordianism 'true' is the fact that 'mine' is different. And vice versa.

That's the point.

QuoteI thought the board needed to be redefined and clarified and it has been by some, and I encourage others to as well.

As well you should be.

Hail ERIS!

-CF
All I knew, all I believed
Are crumbling images
No longer comforting me.
Scramble to reach higher ground,
Order and sanity,
Something to comfort me.

I take what is mine, and hold what is mine,
Suffocate what is mine, and bury what's mine.
Soon the water will come
And claim what is mine.
I must leave it behind,
And climb to a new place now.

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.

Tool, Flood

----------------
Do you believe
In the lies, the lies, the lies that shape your world?
Do you believe
In your own, your own, fictitious immortality?

The world won't end while you walk the earth
And when you realize that your life don't matter
You'll turn to something to help you forget
That you're only young once, old forever

And we become what we hate
(Don't think of us)

-Screeching Weasel, What We Hate[/size][/color]

Guido Finucci

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: DJRubberduckyRoger is trying to simultaneously tell us to think for ourselves, and command us to abide by his definition of Discordianism.

Funny shit, actually.
Exactly! That's the very reason it's funny.

Gah! I have been trolled. Time to stop being an Eris-fanboy again. I hate it when that happens.

Prince Tao Jones

Quote from: Colonel FailureWell, well, well...

Where do I begin?

Quote from: TaoSome of us find the principia not gibberish, rather a mock philosophy that's a methaphor to wake people up from gibberish.

True. I happen to agree with that characterization. BUT ITS NOT DOGMA. IT IS NOT THE AUTHORITY TO WHICH ALL ARGUMENTS MAY BE DIRECTED FOR A DEFINITVE RESOLUTION. Unless you wanna. But personally, I have greater respect for the man who makes his own arguments, as opposed to quoting a book and saying, "Because it says so here."

And Rog's sermon is half a joke.... You know that, right?

QuoteI believe that there is positive and negative order and chaos and believe in the promotion of the positive...

...sticking gum in the subway gates, I being part gnostic part prankster, find that destructive chaos, and yielding nothing but bad karma.

Agreed. See my comments on Sermon 26 vis a vis the toothbrush thingy. I'll take issue with you on one (admittedly minor) semantic point. I believe there is positive and negative (or better yet, creative/destructive) order and disorder... CHAOS is the universe itself. CHAOS=ERIS=THE UNIVERSE. Order and disorder are merely manifestations of chaos, or as it's phrased in the Book of Eris (props to the Rev. Verthaine), Order and Disorder are opposite sides of the coin. CHAOS *is* the coin. Anyway, i'm not really disagreeing with you here, I just felt like being contrary.

Bullshit. Anybody who is so impressionable that they log on here, read the principia, read the Right Rev's Ranting, and immediately get the 'wrong' idea about Discordianism (as if there could be such a thing) isn't a Discordian and wasn't ever going to be one - they're a cabbage who wondered into the wrong corner of the web and got stuck like a deer in our headlights.

QuoteThe big contradiction is that you say you want people to think for themselves, yet you attack anyone who doesn't think like you regardless of if what the?? say is true or not.

And you're just as guilty of this. Antagonism breeds antagonism. That Shrub for St. thread got downright mean (though it seems to have settled down), and nobody who was participating is blameless. Point is, if we all want the same thing in the end, (namely, more freedom, less unneccessary order, and a general enlightenment of the masses), and we all agree that it's a huge undertaking that none of us can do alone, then we should all realize that we're the only help we're gonna get. This wouldn't be a Discordian forum if we all agreed on anything, and regardless of whether we think Bush should be a saint (I vote no, he's an Avatar, and that's it, but that doesn't mean somebody else can't cannonize him - we're all infallable Popes, remember?), there's no reason to go name-calling or implying that 'my' Discordianism isn't as 'true' as 'your' Discordianism.

The only thing that makes 'your' Discordianism 'true' is the fact that 'mine' is different. And vice versa.

That's the point.

QuoteI thought the board needed to be redefined and clarified and it has been by some, and I encourage others to as well.

As well you should be.

Hail ERIS!

-CF

Colonel, fair post.

Although, I'm not defending philosophy because a book says so.

1. This whole thing began because people were leaving the forum, and complaining that it was dead. Instead of just heading out, gave my 2 cents why every time EVT and I read it we're bored to tears, and after a couple of weeks forget to check it all together.

The original point was that not much discordian was being discussed, and we came here to discuss the principia's outlook on discordianism, and creative extentions of it. (not contradictions to it)

I was, therefore defending a principia forum board that was based on the principia. Not that all bow to the almighty principia.

Sure everyone yaks about nonsense, so do I. But the forum looked to be becomming quite banal.

Not to mention every time something cool and discordian was brought up, it was either criticized or ignored.

Seemed people were more interested in bad puns, and pointless chat than people jaking and mindfucking.

Which seemed odd since were called a "Zen version of the Merry Pranksters"

QuoteAnd you're just as guilty of this. Antagonism breeds antagonism. That Shrub for St. thread got downright mean (though it seems to have settled down), and nobody who was participating is blameless. Point is, if we all want the same thing in the end, (namely, more freedom, less unneccessary order, and a general enlightenment of the masses), and we all agree that it's a huge undertaking that none of us can do alone, then we should all realize that we're the only help we're gonna get. This wouldn't be a Discordian forum if we all agreed on anything, and regardless of whether we think Bush should be a saint (I vote no, he's an Avatar, and that's it, but that doesn't mean somebody else can't cannonize him - we're all infallable Popes, remember?), there's no reason to go name-calling or implying that 'my' Discordianism isn't as 'true' as 'your' Discordianism

Me mean? All pointed/ taking the piss out/ commentary has been defensive as far as I can see.

You'll have to quote otherwise.

I thought it was play, yet have sinced realized people were actually taking some internet chat personally.

Again, not saying anyone's discordianism is wrong, simply incongruent to the principia, and this is a principia forum.

If one promotes destructive chaos as a positive, then I'm in open direct confrontation.

QuoteAnd Rog's sermon is half a joke.... You know that, right?

You do know that I'm nearly always half joking right?

but I do think he really believes in chaos for chaos' sake or at least that how it comes across, (I'll ask him after this) and the arguments on this board seem more designed for a contrarian forum, which if I wanted that, I'd call up my Praise the Lord watching parents.

QuoteBullshit. Anybody who is so impressionable that they log on here, read the principia, read the Right Rev's Ranting, and immediately get the 'wrong' idea about Discordianism (as if there could be such a thing) isn't a Discordian and wasn't ever going to be one - they're a cabbage who wondered into the wrong corner of the web and got stuck like a deer in our headlights.

Strongly disagree.

If I came here when that post was fresh and read it, I'd think this place was full of a bunch of nonsense spewing geeks, and never would have stayed, and never would have met EVT.

I'd hope to meet other cool open minded people while comming here in the future. I'd love it if this board got big and we could organize some pretty creative international jakes.

QuotePoint is, if we all want the same thing in the end, (namely, more freedom, less unneccessary order, and a general enlightenment of the masses), and we all agree that it's a huge undertaking that none of us can do alone, then we should all realize that we're the only help we're gonna get. This wouldn't be a Discordian forum if we all agreed on anything, and regardless of whether we think Bush should be a saint (I vote no, he's an Avatar, and that's it, but that doesn't mean somebody else can't cannonize him - we're all infallable Popes, remember?), there's no reason to go name-calling or implying that 'my' Discordianism isn't as 'true' as 'your' Discordianism.

I disagree, there's lots of people in the world that enjoy argument for argument's sake, (contrarians) because they enjoy argument, because they enjoy pissing people off, because they have small dicks, because they're on an internet chat board, and don't have any friends and can give themselves the allusion of being an authority in some cyber fantasy world because in the real world, they're affraid of their own shadow, or a million other sociopathic reasons.

I don't think these people should be banned from the forum, yet If no one challenges them, then the cool folks are all going to migrate away, and I don't want that.

in closing....

Thinking for yourself is one sign of enlightenment, yet the village idiot that thinks his shoes talk to him thinks for himself too. It's not the only sign of enlightenment.
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common.  Locke, John

"It is by acts and not ideas that people live" - Anatole France

"Our wretched species is so mad that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road" - Voltaire

"The people to fear are not those who disagree with you, but those who disagree with you and are too cowardly to let you know" - Napoleon

"Everyone wishes to have truth on his side, but not everyone wishes to be on the side of truth." - Richard Whately

The way we live is the evidence of what we really want in life, no matter what we may say.
Charles Templeton

I GOT PINKED!!!!

Abolish the Atlantic in 2004