News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Rev Roger Heresy #4: Rejecting Malaclypse the Younger.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 01, 2004, 07:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Well, in the field of theoretical computing, the "anti library" might very well be provably unknowable.

At least, there are certain formal languages, of which their complement is not computable.

Super short explanation: You got an "alphabet" S, say S={A,B}. Very short alphabet. Now S* denotes all finite strings you can make with that alphabet. That is all possible finite strings consisting of the characters A and B.

(There are incountably infinite of these, but that's another thing)

Now S* is a formal language, but it's a really boring one, because everything is possible.

A more interesting formal language, say L, would define a bunch of rules to determine, or generate strings from this language. This would be a certain subset of S*.

Now, depending on how complex these rules are, it is either easy or very difficult or even provably impossible to determine whether a certain string X belongs to this language L.

You can prove all this stuff with logic and symbol math, but just take it from me now. You don't want to see, really.

But now comes the funny bit!

We can also define the complement of L. Let's call it not-L. This language is exactly those strings which are in S*, but not in L. Makes sense, right?

Now comes the mind boggling thing, and believe me this is true, because I had to prove it with my own pen and paper and brain:

For certain languages L, determining whether X belongs to L may be relatively easy, yet for the same language L, determining whether an X is part of not-L is obnoxiously hard or even impossible!

Fucked up right?

If this confuddles you, think about how proving a negative can be sometimes nearly impossible, while (dis)proving the positive is often trivially easy.

So to sum it up, yeah there's a bunch of shit we just can't know. And there's also a bunch of shit that's nearly prohibitively hard to know.

The good news is, it's not just monkeys we gotta worry about, reality and logic has it in for us as well.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on October 29, 2011, 06:43:53 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 29, 2011, 04:52:07 AM
Quote from: Nigel on October 29, 2011, 02:07:23 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 28, 2011, 08:34:25 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 04:57:38 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE

I couldn't help myself.  I was mesmerized with PTJ being mesmerized with his own greatness.   :lulz:

I am astonished by how often Dunning/Kruger Effect crops up.  :lulz:

I am beginning to think it is humanity's default position.  If you DON'T have it, you're sick.

I think you just nailed the shit out of it. So then, our challenge becomes... what area am I incompetent in, and don't know it?

I am incompetent in the following areas (at least):

Cooking - I am THE WORST COOK EVER.  No shit.  I'm not even allowed in the kitchen after the 3rd fire.

Auto repairs - I can fix anything in the world, except for a car.  I have no idea why.

Talking to women - My success in the romance area is strictly dictated by my ability to find women that don't want me to talk.

Knowing when something has been taken too far - Don't ask.

Dancing - OSHA has rules governing when I can attempt to dance, and what PPE everyone has to wear.

Punching - In a fight, I have to just take my lumps until I get both hands on the guy (then it's hellllooooooo, Charley!).

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 02, 2011, 12:49:07 AM
Quote from: Nigel on October 29, 2011, 06:43:53 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 29, 2011, 04:52:07 AM
Quote from: Nigel on October 29, 2011, 02:07:23 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 28, 2011, 08:34:25 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 04:57:38 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE

I couldn't help myself.  I was mesmerized with PTJ being mesmerized with his own greatness.   :lulz:

I am astonished by how often Dunning/Kruger Effect crops up.  :lulz:

I am beginning to think it is humanity's default position.  If you DON'T have it, you're sick.

I think you just nailed the shit out of it. So then, our challenge becomes... what area am I incompetent in, and don't know it?

I am incompetent in the following areas (at least):

Cooking - I am THE WORST COOK EVER.  No shit.  I'm not even allowed in the kitchen after the 3rd fire.

Auto repairs - I can fix anything in the world, except for a car.  I have no idea why.

Talking to women - My success in the romance area is strictly dictated by my ability to find women that don't want me to talk.

Knowing when something has been taken too far - Don't ask.

Dancing - OSHA has rules governing when I can attempt to dance, and what PPE everyone has to wear.

Punching - In a fight, I have to just take my lumps until I get both hands on the guy (then it's hellllooooooo, Charley!).

How did I miss this post? :lulz: I'm guessing it must have been marked "read" when my browser crashed, which it does at least once a day.

I'm glad I found it.

Now I need to think about what I'm incompetent at, besides dating.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Precious Moments Zalgo

A big one for me is singing.  People often insist that I am tone-deaf, but tone-deaf people can't hear how bad they sound.  I know that I am just alternating back and forth between the same two notes, but it's just the best I can do. 

I took chorus in 8th grade to try to get better, but it didn't help.  Our chorus class went to a state-wide competition, and my classmates pooled together and came up with about $5 to pay me to lip-sync.  I did, and our class came in 2nd place.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prince Tao Jones on June 01, 2004, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerBeware, O ye of little faith, for the things I am about to say will piss thee off to no fucking end. 

Let me start off by stating that Malaclypse the Younger is, and always has been a fraud.  That's right.  Bogus.  Phoney.  His real name is Kerry Thornley, and he did NOT "walk into the ocean" thirty years ago.  He is alive and well, and living in Cleveland, Ohio.

Second, his book, Principia Discordia is gibberish.  Utter rot.  It has two or three good jokes in it, and one (1) good idea.  It's basically an acid rant that reads like the end of a Robert Anton Wilson novel...which is to say, it's garbage.  The one good idea, of course, being that you should think for yourself.  Obviously, some backsliders like to quote it and/or insist that people act according to its "teachings" if they want to be a "true" Discordian.

Obviously bullshit.

In fact, this false prophet and his teachings have led countless Discordians astray.  They have been led to believe that, to be a discordian, one must act as if one was tripping, even when NOT under the influence of psychadelic drugs.  It has led people to believe that Eris is some demented aspect of Bacchus, where we all focus on having a good time.  Poetry, games, inebriation, etc.

Sorry, wrong Gawd.

Eris is the goddess of DISCORD.  Take a minute, and look that word up.  I'll wait.

Back now?  Good, we'll continue.

DISCORDianism.  The adherence to, and spreading of, DISCORD.  Tear the filthy thing down.  Smash it, and drive the survivors into the wasteland...and it doesn't really matter what "it" is.  We are the adherents of OPPOSITION.  We oppose for the sake of opposition itself.  We don't take sides, we don't play favorites, and it's a wonder that we are a "we" at all.

We are the proxies of entropy, not a fucking coffee house poetry club.  We back the wrong horse, in the sheer hope of clogging up the guts of the machine, and it really makes no difference if the "machine" is malevolent or benign...Because, to us, NO organization is "benign".

You simply aren't going to gain the favor of the goddess by playing "three word game".  She'd rather see you shoving chewing gum in the coin slots of the subway entrance stiles, or simply playing "let's you and him fight".

The higher up in an organization that you can cause chaos, the more Eris will shower you with her blessings.  Avoid being caught (so you can do it again), and she'll even take them out of the big, heavy can first.

So spare me the quotes and the anecdotes from Principia.  Forget that old fraud, Malaclypse, because Eris already has. 

Or kill me.

This Is The Kind of Shit We Have To Put Up With Department

Thanks for the confession, yet the big question is why do you post on a forum that is based on what you consider gibberish?

You neglect to address the different types of chaos.

Also if you study the goddess there are two Eris'

"It was never true that there was only one Eris. There have always been two on earth. There is one you could like when you understand her. The other is hateful. The two Erites have separate natures. There is one Eris who builds up evil war, and slaughter. She is harsh; no man loves her, but under compulsion and by will of the immortals, men promote this rough Eris (Strife).
But the other one was born the elder daughter of black Nyx. The son of Kronos, who sits on high and dwells in the bright air set her in the roots of the earth and among men; she is far kinder. She pushes the shiftless man to work, for all his laziness. A man looks at his neighbour, who is rich: then he too wants work; for the rich man presses on with his ploughing and planting and ordering of his estate. So the neighbour envies the neighbour who presses on toward wealth. Such Eris (Strife) is a good friend to mortals." -Works and Days 11f

"One [Eris] is Trouble and Fighting. But the other is only Healthy Competition." -Works and Days 11

http://www.theoi.com/Khaos/Eris.html

Some of us find the principia not gibberish, rather a mock philosophy that's a methaphor to wake people up from gibberish.

So, my probing proved true.

I was criticized and personally attacked for saying the posts here reflect heretical opinions, and you 3 have all admited you think the principia is a bunch of crap.

I find it a clever metaphor for the state of society on the planet, and  the most productive way of actively working against it for change. I find it a funny way to dispell gibberish as apposed to being gibberish itself.

I also find it a way of bringing Taoism into the 20th century.

Most people feel Monty Python did more for social change than the hippies, and I tend to agree, with their mindfucking skits and films.

I believe that there is positive and negative order and chaos and believe in the promotion of the positive.

I believed these things prior to reading the principia, yet find it well articulated in the principia.

I belive there are enlightened and cabbages, saint-like jakers and greyfaces, people who want social norms and who get angry when they see people being free and happy, or having harmless fun.

Even if all the mindfucking and jaking doesn't change anything, it still made people think.

Even if all doesn't make people think, I still had fun, and on my death bed, I will leave with a good conscious knowing I didn't spend my life in fear of what other's thought nor lived my life based on it.

So, as others have mentioned the spiritual aspect, sticking gum in the subway gates, I being part gnostic part prankster, find that destructive chaos, and yielding nothing but bad karma.

So the big point is I think you're opinion corrupts the impressionable or people here checking out what principia discordianism is all about and I'm trying to point out the contradictions between those here and the actual principia, which you find crap.

If you believe in the negative Eris as being a positve and destructive chaos as a positve, then I will challenge it and hope those who just come here for some pseudo social acceptance's little brain nuerons may start firing in the right side of their brains.

The big contradiction is that you say you want people to think for themselves, yet you attack anyone who doesn't think like you regardless of if what the?? say is true or not.

True following Greg Hill and Kerry Thornley's opinions isn't thinking for yourself, except if you follow the part of thinking for yourself. Which is what I think the whole point of them comming up with all this was about. Of course they weren't the first for saying think for yourself, but did it in a very creative way.

So, I think all this is great actually.

I thought the board needed to be redefined and clarified and it has been by some, and I encourage others to as well.

I'm very proud to have initiated it as well.

Ah, the good old days.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 05, 2013, 01:29:36 AM
Oh, man.

Thank fuck we got THAT sorted out.

Well, Tao was just a guru in search of a flock.

The REALLY funny posts ITT are from Trollaxe.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Phantom Trollax on June 01, 2004, 09:40:07 AM
There are also those of us who are spiritualists about the whole thing...

Some of us are firmly tied to this world and it's many idosynchrocies, others of us are intent of imbuing meaning and purpose behind our iconoclastic actions. Well hell to you that's probably a load of shit, and yes I've been really tired of your antics lately. Hell yes the Yahoo's thing was a great riot, but no... I'm not going to sign onto your trip and see the world from anywhere near your particular vantage point anytime soon.

:cry:

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Q. G. Pennyworth

Highly edited version that got handed out today in Boston. I was the only one who showed up with flyers, so a whole lot of HOLY got spread around.

The Good Reverend Roger

That's awesome.     :lulz:

But this is the wrong thread.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 06, 2013, 06:44:14 PM
That's awesome.     :lulz:

But this is the wrong thread.

Oh crapballs, requesting move to the right one?

The Good Reverend Roger

Q. G. Pennyworth