News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

IP Freely? There's a call for I.P. Freely?

Started by Cramulus, June 16, 2009, 03:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

If by synchronicity, you mean both inspired by the same court case....

I dunno, I don't see any evidence that Stephen Colbert is reading our minds.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

It's quite possible that he or his staff are lurking on the forum. After all, Colbertgasm was a success. Continuously referencing popular threads on his show may be a method of trying to keep contact without posting -- since Colbert himself posting may bring the whole Nation upon us.

Stephen, if you can hear us, please include the following code phrase on a future show: "Klaatu barada nikto is overrated"

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

fomenter

he did that in Colbertgasm how many times does it take?
maybe its more fun to get thinly veiled references to our hot topics and inside jokes...
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is the most populous and active Discordian forum.

Discordianism has been heavily influencing counterculture for decades.

We would be foolish and naive to think that media figures that pander to a counterculture audience aren't aware of and tuned in to us. We would also be foolish and naive to imagine that they would overtly recognize or join us, for the simple reason that JOKE ROOINT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on September 17, 2009, 03:35:08 AM
This is the most populous and active Discordian forum.

Discordianism has been heavily influencing counterculture for decades.

We would be foolish and naive to think that media figures that pander to a counterculture audience aren't aware of and tuned in to us. We would also be foolish and naive to imagine that they would overtly recognize or join us, for the simple reason that JOKE ROOINT.

Frankly, I think we're farting in a tent, if you catch my drift.

And if I ever find out I'm wrong, I'm gonna troll the voyeuristic bastards into a mudhole.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

so if there was some AI that traced your ideas from IP in order to formulate a paint by numbers outline of your worth, would you buy it?

Roaring Biscuit!

if there was a sentence that didn't make sense, would you understand it?

minuspace

painting by numbers is a rigged game.  like how at camp they have you weave key-chains out of plastic, instead of cellulose, say...

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2009, 06:44:27 PM
I still don't understand how "protecting property rights" = "cramping culture".

After all, it's not like being able to rip off Kipling is going to add to our cultural achievements.

I disagree.

Pride Prejudice and Zombies is a great example of what becomes possible when copyright expires.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

It also hampers the ability of works to spread.  It's a Wonderful Life is a part of American culture to the point that even if you've never seen it you've probably heard of the plot (it's a frequent sitcom parody, or was when I was a kid), but if it's copyright had not expired networks would not have picked it up as a cheap late night christmas movie to show, and we wouldn't have that part of our culture.

There are also longevity of media issues.  At a rough estimate, about 15% of media stays in print after 28 years (based on the figures for renewal of copyrights back when we had that).  A while back a bunch of us went and hunted down a pirated copy of an old early 80s rock album, it was only ever published once on CD, without piracy it would be effectively gone (the few copies that remain cost hundreds of dollars, with no benefit to the publisher or artists).  Were its copyright allowed to expire in 2 years, or revert to the artist (contracts sometimes allowed this if the publisher chose not to renew) then that part of our culture could have been preserved legally.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BabylonHoruv

I think 2 years is a bit quick.  14 years sounds fair to me.

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

I mean two years from today, 28 years from the original publication in 1984.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 24, 2010, 03:16:47 AM
I mean two years from today, 28 years from the original publication in 1984.

Ahh gotcha.

-Dok Howl

Don Coyote

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 24, 2010, 02:42:48 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2009, 06:44:27 PM
I still don't understand how "protecting property rights" = "cramping culture".

After all, it's not like being able to rip off Kipling is going to add to our cultural achievements.

I disagree.

Pride Prejudice and Zombies is a great example of what becomes possible when copyright expires.

Everything is better when you add zombies. AMIRITE??

Still need to finish that book.