News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Bring On The Singularity

Started by Arafelis, June 20, 2009, 07:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomenter

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 23, 2009, 08:56:56 PM
you talking about Arafelis?

I stopped reading his stuff
Just like DK, Bhode and other pompous asses he feels the need to write a fucking novel to say.. absolutely nothing of any interest

QED
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Arafelis

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 23, 2009, 11:12:39 AM
on the whole, how often do you resolve a conversation making your point, versus some party losing interest because the topic has drifted off into some insignificant detail of an insignificant detail without one ever getting to state their main point?

Often.  My responses to tangents rapidly decrease in substance.

Quotehile having a passing knowledge of the terminology and methods of philosophy are of some value (many if not most pd'rs have such a passing knowledge ) what works is ideas and forms of communication that have real world application most of us have been out in the real world working, living, fucking, surviving (many for longer than you have been living) and have developed a way of thinking and communicating that reflects it,

I have not said anything about philosophical terminology, nor do I often use it.  Again, this attributes something to me that isn't actually the case.  Nor does precision require lots of technical terms, run-on sentences, or specific obscure definitions; heavy use of these is the opposite of clear.  I use such sparingly, unless the conversation has already engaged topics with jargon.
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

I haven't read the OP, but I am pretty sure it could be, you know, re-written.

Or words to that effect.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Arafelis

Sub-thread over.  Cain's sig won.   :lulz:
"OTOH, I shook up your head...I must be doing something right.What's wrong with schisms?  Malaclypse the younger DID say "Discordians need to DISORGANIZE."  If my babbling causes a few sparks, well hell...it beats having us backslide into our own little greyness." - The Good Reverend Roger

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am unsure whether or not this has already been touched on. I imagine most of the past few pages have been a threadjack, so I skipped. However, this article may be interesting and on-topic. Tl;dr version: the singularity already happened, just not the way we thought, and so nobody noticed.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Fuquad

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 24, 2009, 05:32:38 PM
I am unsure whether or not this has already been touched on. I imagine most of the past few pages have been a threadjack, so I skipped. However, this article may be interesting and on-topic. Tl;dr version: the singularity already happened, just not the way we thought, and so nobody noticed.
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I dunno if the article makes a very good case... but I think its more reasonable to discuss from this angle than humans growing gills or turning into batteries ;-)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I agree.

I also think the image is illustrative. Who would have expected a hot petite asian girl making facial expressions to be the optimal illustration of a discussion of the singularity? That in of itself is illustrative of a singularity, since it cannot be predicted to be illustrative, and is therefore illustrative. That or he picked an image at random.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Arafelis

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 24, 2009, 09:05:40 PM
...since it cannot be predicted to be illustrative, and is therefore illustrative. That or he picked an image at random.

Write a mini-paper that ends with this sentence so they can put it in Intermittens.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Arafelis on June 25, 2009, 01:43:46 AM
...since it cannot be predicted to be illustrative, and is therefore illustrative. That or he picked an image at random.

Write a mini-paper that ends with this sentence so they can put it in Intermittens.

I believe we are part of the Universe.  Mass collaboration will bring  a new culture of mass collaboration on track to experience the hard take off in the 2012 presidential race. I think the Ron Paul presidential campaign and the Campaign for Liberty are perfect examples of the unimagionable centralized planning,   businesses, marketing, and funding online communities do for free. Google Wave will replace bloated corporate structures, and likewise bloated government beuarocracies. Communities will fund the creation open source hardware and electricity. Using the Singularity, communities, cities, states, nations, will design the circuits which run our world. I do believe we are on track to experience the hard take off in the next few years as people really begin to imagine new ways of using the Internet. Imagine business like Walmart or Target being bought by online communities, coordinated buyouts by shareholders with an agenda.  I've always heard the singularity defined as the point at which technological advancements occur so quickly no one can imagine the outcome. Take a look at what has happened over the last few years. If super-intelligence is an intelligence greater than one human, any online community would bring super-human intelligence to new levels. I also think the image is illustrative. Who would have expected a hot petite asian girl making facial expressions to be the optimal illustration of a discussion of the singularity? That in of itself is illustrative of a singularity, since it cannot be predicted to be illustrative, and is therefore illustrative. That or he picked an image at random.

Incoherent enough?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 25, 2009, 02:15:57 AM
Quote from: Arafelis on June 25, 2009, 01:43:46 AM

I believe we are part of the Universe.  Mass collaboration will bring  a new culture of mass collaboration on track to experience the hard take off in the 2012 presidential race. I think the Ron Paul presidential campaign and the Campaign for Liberty are perfect examples of the unimagionable centralized planning,   businesses, marketing, and funding online communities do for free. Google Wave will replace bloated corporate structures, and likewise bloated government beuarocracies. Communities will fund the creation open source hardware and electricity. Using the Singularity, communities, cities, states, nations, will design the circuits which run our world. I do believe we are on track to experience the hard take off in the next few years as people really begin to imagine new ways of using the Internet. Imagine business like Walmart or Target being bought by online communities, coordinated buyouts by shareholders with an agenda.  I've always heard the singularity defined as the point at which technological advancements occur so quickly no one can imagine the outcome. Take a look at what has happened over the last few years. If super-intelligence is an intelligence greater than one human, any online community would bring super-human intelligence to new levels. I also think the image is illustrative. Who would have expected a hot petite asian girl making facial expressions to be the optimal illustration of a discussion of the singularity? That in of itself is illustrative of a singularity, since it cannot be predicted to be illustrative, and is therefore illustrative. That or he picked an image at random.

Incoherent enough?

It's crap.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Seal of approval then, I guess.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 25, 2009, 05:31:45 AM
Seal of approval then, I guess.

No.  You and Arafailus deserve each other.  Piss off.

Ok, I skipped past two pages of people chiding this guy... for, Well, I dont know. A long post? Doesnt matter, its not relevant to my interests. I just wanted to say, that I'm ALL FOR the technological singularity, feel that its inevitable (barring global cataclysm), and will GLADLY accept my cerebral implant.

Ok, I think I see everyones point, but I kind of like his writing style.