Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

<-<Link to a great fucking song>->

Started by Bu🤠ns, June 20, 2009, 07:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: General Stuart on June 28, 2009, 01:32:37 PM

It is bluegrass, yes...but:

There is no "but".  Bluegrass is unmitigated GARBAGE, recorded for assbats with green teeth.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Da6s

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 05:32:51 PM

There is no "but".  Bluegrass is unmitigated GARBAGE, recorded for assbats with green teeth.
:lulz:

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Da6s

Smashing Pumpkins - Aeroplane Flies High

Also the video is one of the best fan montages i've ever seen to a song on youtube.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

AFK

Violence by Anathema:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sThi6ndE-U

This is easily my favorite rock instrumental.  It's a building piece, slowly but surely working its way up from some soft piano, introducing some subtle e-bowed guitar, building to a climax of slightly feedbacked yet resonant guitar and blast-beat drums, before fading back into piano.  This is a short version of it, the full version with an extended piano outro is in the 10 minute range. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

rubickspoop

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 05:31:47 PM
Tuvan throat singing?  What the fuck?  Who the fuck listens to that?  Not even the fucking Tuvans, that's who.

There's nothing funnier than a pair of pretentious fuckweasels trying to out-esoteric each other.

Did you listen to the throat singing? It is a creative method of tone production that I find to be aesthetically pleasing.
Bluegrass is not garbage. Bluegrass can be shitty, just like any genre of music. But it can be simply beautiful, or fast-paced and exciting, too. There are some shitty rock bands and great rock bands; shitty DJ's and great DJ's; shitty rappers and great rappers.
There are talented and musical bluegrass players; calling their work garbage because you don't like the sounds of their instruments, don't like the vocal style, don't like the way it's presented, or don't like the people the music is associated with is narrow minded and cockish.
I'm a celebrity... Get me out of here!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rubickspoop on July 11, 2009, 08:54:19 PM
Tuvan throat singing?  What the fuck?  Who the fuck listens to that?  Not even the fucking Tuvans, that's who.

There's nothing funnier than a pair of pretentious fuckweasels trying to out-esoteric each other.

Did you listen to the throat singing? It is a creative method of tone production that I find to be aesthetically pleasing.
Bluegrass is not garbage. Bluegrass can be shitty, just like any genre of music. But it can be simply beautiful, or fast-paced and exciting, too. There are some shitty rock bands and great rock bands; shitty DJ's and great DJ's; shitty rappers and great rappers.
There are talented and musical bluegrass players; calling their work garbage because you don't like the sounds of their instruments, don't like the vocal style, don't like the way it's presented, or don't like the people the music is associated with is narrow minded and cockish.

I'm comfortable with that.

It's garbage for trailer park heroes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 11, 2009, 09:05:12 PM

I'm comfortable with that.

It's garbage for trailer park heroes.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Da6s

I hope to the gods you aren't referring to bluegrass yodeling, because that is my chief reason for hating bluegrass.

The banjo can be an amazing instrument if used by non-muppetfuckers (example: The Public Enemies bank robbery song). The problem is, the banjo and mandolin are played by this kid:

Now if someone without a history of inbreeding in their gene pool were to say, "bring it back" and reclaim the instruments normally associated with bluegrass, i wouldn't have nearly the amount of contempt i have for it.

But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Suu

No, that's what modern country is. A bastardized form of Southern Rock overly marketed in a way to weasel $150 a pop for Kenny Chesney tickets out of the pockets of the welfare-endowed white trash of the Nation.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

oh well, looks like it's back to emo for me....toasterbathtime.

Suu

I also find that Bluegrass is more instrumentally involved than rock and pop music being sung with a twang and cowboy hats, but prior to meeting General Stuart, I rarely listened to either except for when I'd go visit my friend who's a DJ at the local country station and muting the amazing callers he got.

I think that "country" as a brand name has gone way off the mark from what it used to be and should be.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

wait a minute, roger...you love bluegrass.....

rubickspoop

Quote from: Da6s on July 12, 2009, 07:06:08 PM
I hope to the gods you aren't referring to bluegrass yodeling, because that is my chief reason for hating bluegrass.

The banjo can be an amazing instrument if used by non-muppetfuckers (example: The Public Enemies bank robbery song). The problem is, the banjo and mandolin are played by this kid:

Now if someone without a history of inbreeding in their gene pool were to say, "bring it back" and reclaim the instruments normally associated with bluegrass, i wouldn't have nearly the amount of contempt i have for it.

But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Bluegrass yodeling and Tuvan throat singing are not at all related. Here is throat-singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M3YFK3sJ54 Notice that most of the time he is producing at least two pitches with his voice, one in in the normal register, one a few octaves above it.

Here are some musicians who have "brought back" some of the traditional bluegrass instruments: Bela Fleck, Tony Trischka, Pete Wernick, Sufjan Stevens, Tim O'Brien, Alison Krauss, Jerry Douglas.
Now the two people on this list who don't really play bluegrass so much, but bluegrass instruments, are Bela Fleck and Sufjan Stevens. Stevens has been known to pull out the banjo on occasion, along with 80 other instruments. Here is a sweet little ballad, one of his more popular songs, which is just him and his banjo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4tkiGvV_ek
Bela Fleck is probably the best banjo player alive, and performs with a jazz/bluegrass/folk/pop fusion group. Here is a sample of their shit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWNiFw_W3mA&feature=related
I'm a celebrity... Get me out of here!

Shibboleet The Annihilator

K'naan-
His live stuff is way better than the studio stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTh63eUnGTo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYRisbIhWM

Shibboleet The Annihilator