News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Putting #iran tags on your "Tweets" doesnt make you a revolutionary

Started by Cain, June 22, 2009, 02:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Wonderful article:

http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/2009/06/20/the-revolution-will-not-be-twittered/
The revolution will not be brought to you in 140 characters or less from anonymous sources half-a-world away and repeated as the whole truth by talking heads with an agenda. It will not star your internet friends or make you vicariously courageous.

And what business is it of ours in any case? If you're so excited about freedom on its bloody march, then start walking. But my best honest guess is that the majority of Americans now weighing in on a contested election in a country that a good many of them can't find on a map don't even understand what's happening in Iran.

That's the problem.

Don't look at me. My knowledge of Iranian politics is not enough to choose sides. Because Mousavi opposed Ahmadinejad does not mean that he's a beacon of hope and freedom. This is not a revolution to bring down the Iranian system anymore than the candidacy of President Obama was a revolution. Elections are merely refined power struggles of the elite.

Fitting, then, that a group of people who make a living at such power struggles should weigh in on the matter. The US House of Representatives - that august body of a good many personages who voted "yea" on such bold initiatives in freedom as the USA PATRIOT Act - is inserting itself into the domestic politics of a foreign nation in the name of the downtrodden yearning to be free. Bitter irony, anyone? (Except Ron Paul, who may be the only sane one of the lot.)

Bloggers are proudly proclaiming their acts of what the US Government would define as cyber-terrorism if it were done to a government website.

You are not a part of the revolution.

Is the situation interesting? Yes. It's tense and the stakes are high. But this isn't our nation, nor is it the great push for freedom and democracy that we're pretending it is. It seems that we like to believe that we chipped at the Berlin Wall. We believe that we stood in front of the tanks in Moscow. Or at least we believe that people do things like that because they want to be like us.

We've got it backwards. We don't have the guts to take to the streets like the Iranians...or even the French. And we know we don't have the guts. That's why we take such vicarious pride in these events.

A socio-economic elite has pilloried the majority of Americans for decades now with barely a whimper. It hasn't always been that way, and once upon a time "This Land is Your Land" was a song about revolution. But you'd never know it unless you heard Pete Seeger slip the last two verses in as they were originally written. (I'd twitter it, but there are too many characters.) Now if it was those old-time Wobblies standing vicariously with the people on the streets of Tehran, then it might be worth something.

It's not.

Nor would the US have erupted in a similar way if the organs had announced a McCain landslide. We would have gone to work; paid our taxes; and bitched a lot. We like our stepping out of line with others taking the police beatings. If anyone in the US might do it it would be the rabid right, but at the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit.

Unless, of course, it's someone else's revolution. You may not know this yet, but what the rest of the world hates about us is that we have a nasty habit of sticking our noses in everyone's business and telling them what to do, what's right and what's wrong. And it was not only George W. Bush; it's also the guy who's so proud of his cyber warfare conquests.

Wear the green. Follow the tweets breathlessly. Cheer on the brave souls willing to get their skull kicked in for something. But if you want a revolution you'll have to get your own.

And you don't, so you won't.

LMNO

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Nomination for newsfeed.

Faust

Fuck you i want to be a revolutionary, about 30 people including me managed to goatse over two million people.
Being an armchair revolutionary is quite hard, being an armchair terrorist on the other hand is quite rewarding.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

The American media have really latched on to the storyline of how most of the information we are getting out of Iran is from Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.  In fact I was watching John McCain blather on about it on Face the Nation and turned it into a masturbation session with the American Flag.  Saying how important America has been in this revolution because all of those bits of technologies are American Made. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Cain

I disagree with his point on this not being a revolution.  Last I heard out of Tehran was the ruling clerics were considering offering up Khameini and Ahmadinejad as sacraficial lambs, and if they did that, the changes to the Iranian system would not stop there (since they were talking about abolishing the role of Supreme Ayatollah entirely).  They might not even get the choice, if elements of the army or secret police come out in favour of the reformists.  Mousavi sure as hell aint no revolutionary, but some of the people backing his cause are, and if they have to use him as a foil to cause the Iranian regime to crumble, so be it.

That aside, the writer is pretty much 100% right.  All that stuff is happening in Iran, and virtually anything being done by anyone who isn't sending money or arms to democracy activists in the country is just so much hot air.  Oh, and maybe some of the hacktivists, who are targeting Iranian government communications.  But if its not having a physical effect within the borders of Iran, then its just feel-good wankery, safe revolutions for middle class liberals and wannabe tough guy Neocons.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on June 22, 2009, 05:03:26 PM
I disagree with his point on this not being a revolution.  Last I heard out of Tehran was the ruling clerics were considering offering up Khameini and Ahmadinejad as sacraficial lambs, and if they did that, the changes to the Iranian system would not stop there (since they were talking about abolishing the role of Supreme Ayatollah entirely).  They might not even get the choice, if elements of the army or secret police come out in favour of the reformists.  Mousavi sure as hell aint no revolutionary, but some of the people backing his cause are, and if they have to use him as a foil to cause the Iranian regime to crumble, so be it.

That aside, the writer is pretty much 100% right.  All that stuff is happening in Iran, and virtually anything being done by anyone who isn't sending money or arms to democracy activists in the country is just so much hot air.  Oh, and maybe some of the hacktivists, who are targeting Iranian government communications.  But if its not having a physical effect within the borders of Iran, then its just feel-good wankery, safe revolutions for middle class liberals and wannabe tough guy Neocons.

Agreed. Digital warfare in this sort of situation should probably involve boots on the ground and direct interference with their key internal government communication systems. To do it right, you'd need access beyond what you get in your dorm room at UCLA.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Jenne

#-tags DO do one thing, though, they do keep Iranians who are out of country informed of stuff like this:

http://threatswatch.org/rapidrecon/2009/06/unimaginable-horror-in-tehran/

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6XiGeYcNV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=4KE-PRl8cKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7J_cqVhmA&feature=related

(Warning...these are sort of graphic, (like this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmund6y_Eik&feature=related) and some images may not be safe for work) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdISZUtdmU&feature=related (very graphic)

The # tag dot org site is a good one that shows how people are disseminating info--both on those they suspect are spies, websites that are viral and spread lies about the protests (i.e. viewpoints they don't share), as well as outing institutions that support the uprisings and are supporting those who are against them.

The images are of the "really real" revolutionaries, and we may see a generation of Persians hitting the shitter as a consequence of this sham election.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMxFa6-6gJ4&feature=related (while pretty slick in its execution, it's still a pretty powerful statement)

Jenne

Woah--a "how-to" for resisting the riot police:

http://www.iranian.com/main/node/69429

Quoteby Shorts
23-Jun-2009

This is a document that a friend of mine who is an Iranian-American police officer has put together. He is the member of the SWAT team and he's an expert on anti riot tactics. he has been watching and studying the videos and the tactics that basij has been using and he put the document together. It would be great to spread this document and pass it on to the kids in Iran. It might save their lives. -- SB

Here are some simple ways of defending yourself when attacked by Basij or Security forces.

Anti riot attacks

Once caught by security forces, the best way to break free is by swinging relentlessly in all directions. Keep in mind that security forces have to hold on to you, which means they only can use one hand to deflect the blows. Brass Knuckle is extremely effective when trying to break loose from the grip of security forces. Wooden brass knuckle is strong and simple to make. The image above is a sample of a basic wooden brass knuckle that can be made with a piece of wood, a cutter and a drill. It should not take more than 30 minutes to make a wooden brass knuckle. Wooden brass knuckle is extremely strong, light weight and versatile. Make sure that the top edges are sharp and round.

Motorcycle attacks

Iranian Basij motorcycle units use attack and retrieve tactics which is meant to create fear more than anything else. The same tactic was used by US police forces on horsebacks when confronting the civil right protestors. The advantage of utilizing motorcycles in urban environment is obvious: motorcycles can go places that cars can't. However, motorcycles have disadvantages which can handicap the force that uses them.

The most effective way of disabling motorcycles is using tire spikes. Though made of carbon cratnor material, the Basij motorcycle tires cannot withstand multiple punctures. The easiest way to spike Basiji's tires is by using a simple tire spike system called Iron Caltrop. This simple device can be made in a matter of minutes by wrapping two pieces of nail together in a 65 degree angle. By dropping a handful of Iron Caltrop on the ground, you can deflate the tires of Basijis' motorcycles in a matter of minutes. If you ride, you know how difficult it is to steer a motorcycle with two flat tires.

Tear gas

A fabric socked in vinegar can very well protect you against tear gas. Cover your nose and mouth with the fabric and keep plenty of water around to wash your eyes if you come in direct contact with tear gas. Urban Legend: burning tires will reduce the effect of tear gas. Not true, it actually increases the effect and it smells bad too.

Batons

Riot police is trained to use batons. They understand that it's easy to hit a stationary target and much easier to hit a target that is running away. Hitting somebody with baton is a matter of timing. The worst thing you can do is to run away from baton whirling security guards because it allows them to time the strike perfectly. The most effective way to counter a security guard with baton is to throw off his timing by going directly at him. That's right. Run away and turn and go directly at him. When you go directly at the guard and close the distance, you completely screw up his timing. A boxer cannot hit a person that is standing 2 inches away from his face. That's why boxer bounce around. A baton whirling guard is just like a boxer, he needs to time his strikes. By going directly at the guard and closing distance you mess-up his timing and might even be able to take him down.

Riot formation

Basij and police security guardsmen perform best when crowd disperses and becomes separated. The worst scenario for the riot police is when the crowd is together and inseparable. South Korean labor protestors in the 90s were the best organized units in history of rioting. Thousands of them held on to each other (locked arms) and no matter what, they did not let go. It made it impossible for the riot police to disperse them.

Just a few tips. Please translate and send it back to the youth in Iran. This can save their lives.

Corvidia

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Darth Cupcake

Ain't that the goddamn truth. I sigh when I see another userpic on Twitter turn green or another person start talking about Iran's liberation... What is turning your userpic green DOING? What is posting a tweet that you really feel just, like, OMG, so STRONGLY actually DOING?

Nothing.

But go ahead, pat yourself on the back that you've paid enough lip service to your faux revolutionary ardor that you can return to sitting on the couch and ignoring EVERYTHING GOING ON WHERE YOU ACTUALLY FUCKING LIVE and being a sack of meat and potatoes for another ten years before there's some new social media for you to opine vacuously on about some distant issue for a few days before again sinking into your torpor. It must feel good, to be changing the world. Congratulations.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.