News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Damned things and boxes

Started by Cain, June 26, 2009, 06:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Um...  I think you've completely sailed past the point here.

To put it plainly: My post was a mocking finger-pointing at anyone who believe that confirmation bias in such a grotesque manner no longer exists.

Bias as blatant as the OP is as strong today as it ever was, in all walks of life, including Discordianism.

I hope I made that as plain as possible.

Honey

Fine sailing here!

QuoteI hope I made that as plain as possible.

Hope I did the same.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 06:51:54 PM

To put it plainly: My post was a mocking finger-pointing at anyone who believe that confirmation bias in such a grotesque manner no longer exists.

Bias as blatant as the OP is as strong today as it ever was, in all walks of life, including Discordianism.

Yes, this is the correct motorcycle... and I think Honey is riding the same one. On some topics, I find some Discordians rather dogmatic and closed minded, on other topics I find other Discordians rather dogmatic and closed minded. The difference between Discordians and the rest of the spags running around dogmatically hanging on to this or that idea... is that they can occasionally mock themselves.

... in some sense!

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Honey

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 01, 2009, 07:01:11 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 06:51:54 PM

Yes, this is the correct motorcycle... and I think Honey is riding the same one. On some topics, I find some Discordians rather dogmatic and closed minded, on other topics I find other Discordians rather dogmatic and closed minded. The difference between Discordians and the rest of the spags running around dogmatically hanging on to this or that idea... is that they can occasionally mock themselves.

... in some sense!

:lulz:

I agree with this, however imho, Discordians have an extra hurdle to leap because they often factor in the ever present Chaos (ie life) rather than ... .

Starting with something simple, ok?  Rigid, literalist, dogmatic thinking is NOT compatible with the ever present Chao.

Not absolutely against mind altering substances however in my experience, people addicted to anything are the most rigid, literal thinking, dogmatic people I have ever encountered.  'nuff said?

Exceptionalism.  2 different notions here:

When someone mentions a theory, concept, idea, notion (makes an off-the cuff remark) or whatever, there's the irresistible (on HERE it seems) urge for some (black sheep) to come up with sort of scenario which is the exception.  Fine & dandy.  How unusual too.  Being different just to differ.  A whole herd of black sheep (or headless dancing chickens).  NOT talking about peer review.  Talking about the kind of stuff that makes some people too anxious to even mention one goddamn sentence for fear of the .0001% scenario that will invariably bring your original thought to its knees.   :roll:  Similar to the notion of the lazy pessimist that I've mentioned before.

Exceptionalism in the historic sense:  Americans use this friggin' one to this very day.  When YOU (they) do it, it's (fill in the blanks) fr'instance, terrorism, blankism, whatever-the-hell you wanna say-ism.  HOW-THE-FUKKIN'-EVER when WE (I) do it, IT'S A (waaay) DIFFERENT STORY.  Why so?  WE (I) are/am exceptional!  :roll:   

I could say more but who even reads?  & I have go now. 

So long.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Kai

I read, btw.

Some people look for the exception here, IMO, partially because they don't want to settle for what someone just told them as reality without poking and prodding it to figure out if it works or not, and partially because its fun to throw wrenches into the works just to see what happens. The former is intelligent tinkering, the latter is a spanner in the works for curiosity's sake. And theres also the times when some like to fuck with people.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Honey

Sigh. 

Kai?  I didn't mean people cannot read, I meant people most likely will not read what I'm posting here anyway, so why bother? 

& I did specify there is a difference between something approaching peer review & tedious pettiness (here in this thread & in others). 

This is getting tiresome for me.  I'm losing interest in this whole forum.  I'm not trying to be nasty here (god knows there's enough people here with that area of expertise), just trying to express how I feel.

I know you're familiar with Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi?  I'll try to express what I sometimes feel here by using flow metaphor?  Conversation, dialogue, communication, etc. (to me) is like the element of water.  Water has different forms, freely flowing water (rivers, streams, etc), all types of wavy, jumpy water (Oceans, waterfalls, etc.), stagnant water (ponds, swamps), blocked water (dammed & pressured), forced water (made to go through conduits, etc.) ice (frozen water, etc.), snow (similar to ice,), steam (hot, moist, steamy).  All of these forms & still the same substance.  What makes them different?  Lots of things, temperature, the way the molecules are "stacked" & more.  For me the most important is the movement or motion.

Comparable (to me) to conversation, dialogue, communication, etc.  Some flow & some don't.  Some types appeal to some & some types appeal to others, & maybe this is dependant upon the individual's nature & innate preferences, etc.

I find the control quotient & OCD quality to some of the discourse here to be oppressive.  Makes me want to bolt.
Fuck the status quo!

-Bertrand Russell

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Honey on July 01, 2009, 06:43:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 01:34:18 PM
Hence, the use of what was intended to be heavy sarcasm.

Well.  Lemme put it this way.  There seems to be certain *buzz words* on this very forum (oh my!).  Start talkin' about magic (any fukkin' way you spell it) & all the blood sucking (not to mention attention whoring) ensues.  Magic is just one of the buzz words.  It is a safe subject however.

Question a neo-confederate about their Orwellian double speak, sophistry & rhetoric?  Wo ho ho!  & THIS becomes an untouchable subject.  Too fukkin' close to the American home base.

& I thought it was pretty much well understood the main purpose of the Sub Genus offshoot was to make Discordia more palatable for rednecks?   

(While I'm at IT) the obsession with the bloody idiotic internet traditions?  I thought that was for assholes who worship the internet as a god?  THAT fukkin' notion is even more stupid than the Sub fukkin' genius rednecks.

Oh & Robert Anton Wilson et al are not gods (nor do I think they set themselves up to be).  There's a difference between the writings of the Principia Discordia & the Illuminati/world-domination conspiracy jokes of the Illuminatus written (again I thought THIS was pretty much well understood?) to separate people who "get it" from the gun toting, neo-confederates, right-wing assholes et cetera (who don't).

Just call me baffled.  (Please understand I've been called a lot worse & right here on this forum as a matter of fact & easily discovered upon exploring the terrain.)

Chaos is everywhere.

Optimus Pinecone?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Honey, I don't read most of what you write anymore because I think you're kind of unintelligent and you miss people's points 40% of the time, misconstrue them another 40% of the time, and are throwing some kind of hissy-fit at least 50% of the time. Why should I waste my time with your dull, contrarian shrewing? If you're just here to complain about the status quo and other users, at least do it interestingly.

Every once in a while you write something insightful and worth reading. Hasn't happened lately though. In fact, lately your posts have seemed increasingly disorganized and disconnected, and you've been pitching a lot of fit-throwing hell-rides based on complete misreadings of other people's posts, and then never bothering to apologize. Frankly it's made me wonder if you have some sort of mental illness flaring up.

There you go. You've been hunting desperately for some sort of secret subtle put-down in people's posts; I just gave you some you don't have to invent.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

The last post of Honey's I bothered to read was some sort of epic brown-nosing.   :kingmeh:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 03, 2009, 09:02:40 PM
The last post of Honey's I bothered to read was some sort of epic brown-nosing.   :kingmeh:

It's often this, but lately I've been seeing a lot more of what Nigel is describing.

Honey, there has been a significant downturn in the readability of your posts lately. I have a harder time understanding what you're saying than I used to, and I'm pretty good at parsing people's writing.

Kai

Quote from: Honey on July 03, 2009, 04:51:37 PM
Sigh. 

Kai?  I didn't mean people cannot read, I meant people most likely will not read what I'm posting here anyway, so why bother? 

& I did specify there is a difference between something approaching peer review & tedious pettiness (here in this thread & in others). 

This is getting tiresome for me.  I'm losing interest in this whole forum.  I'm not trying to be nasty here (god knows there's enough people here with that area of expertise), just trying to express how I feel.

I know you're familiar with Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi?  I'll try to express what I sometimes feel here by using flow metaphor?  Conversation, dialogue, communication, etc. (to me) is like the element of water.  Water has different forms, freely flowing water (rivers, streams, etc), all types of wavy, jumpy water (Oceans, waterfalls, etc.), stagnant water (ponds, swamps), blocked water (dammed & pressured), forced water (made to go through conduits, etc.) ice (frozen water, etc.), snow (similar to ice,), steam (hot, moist, steamy).  All of these forms & still the same substance.  What makes them different?  Lots of things, temperature, the way the molecules are "stacked" & more.  For me the most important is the movement or motion.

Comparable (to me) to conversation, dialogue, communication, etc.  Some flow & some don't.  Some types appeal to some & some types appeal to others, & maybe this is dependant upon the individual's nature & innate preferences, etc.

I find the control quotient & OCD quality to some of the discourse here to be oppressive.  Makes me want to bolt.

Sometimes its good to take a break, especially if you've got other things going on in your life that are giving you trouble. I don't know if you do, but it might be good to examine that. I find when I'm doing really well, the things that happen on here don't affect me so much.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish