News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Dok, the monkeys have no integrity.

Started by Kai, May 05, 2010, 02:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 06, 2010, 10:20:52 PM
Quote from: MMIX on May 06, 2010, 08:45:35 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2010, 08:09:33 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on May 06, 2010, 07:52:52 PM
Hoarding against lean times is not very common for primates, monkeys, or humans in a hunter gatherer society.

Not trying to be pedantic, I think you made a really good point, just that that sort of greed behavior seems like it comes from somewhere else.

Really?

no not really - just one example - squirrels store nuts - and while food storage [calling it hoarding drags in a whole pile of irrelevant baggage like the greed thing] is not practiced by simple hunter gathering societies it is very common in Complex Forager Societies. So just let Nigel's post stand as it is - a damn  fine point.

Squirrels aren't monkeys, or primates.  Neither are ants (another animal that stockpiles)  primates mostly don't, aside from human beings.  So it's human behavior, rather distinct from monkey behavior.

It's not that it isn't instinctive, just that we can't blame our furry cousins when that particular instinct makes us act fucked up.

What the hell are you talking about? I was talking about our primate behavior; ie. basic drives that we, this kind of primate, will default to, which can run unchecked and cause damage if we don't make choices to consciously manage them. It has nothing to do with other kinds of primates, and if you think it does you are missing the point entirely.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: MMIX on May 06, 2010, 10:25:22 PM
INTEGRITY you fuckers - do you stockpile it???

Can't stockpile that, you either have it or you don't.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

MMIX

Quote from: BadBeast on May 07, 2010, 12:59:31 AM
Quote from: MMIX on May 06, 2010, 10:25:22 PM
INTEGRITY you fuckers - do you stockpile it???

Can't stockpile that, you either have it or you don't.

. . . drags rhetorical question out back and shoots it . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Kai

Today was a network of relationships more interwoven than the cast of Rent that needed a flowchart to map out the "who sent who what" and "who stole who from what".

In the end, they got wake up calls suited to their offenses. And I didn't feel bad.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

MMIX

Quote from: Kai on May 07, 2010, 03:41:24 AM
Today was a network of relationships more interwoven than the cast of Rent that needed a flowchart to map out the "who sent who what" and "who stole who from what".

In the end, they got wake up calls suited to their offenses. And I didn't feel bad.

You sound satisfied - that's good. Are you finished for this session now?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber