News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Is it just me or is distaste for Libertarianism contradictory to discordianism?

Started by navkat, July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 07:33:46 PM
So, abolish all medical insurance, then?

And when someone's grandmother gets bone cancer and can't afford treatment, they die, yes?

It's either that or let the smokers and fat people have public healthcare too.  Everything in between is a pretty shitty compromise that the insurance companies get rich off of.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

And when someone's grandmother gets bone cancer and can't afford treatment, they die, yes?

Well, she's gonna die anyway at some point. Likely she won't have a very good time with the chemo and will waste away slowly while paying for the Doctor's kids to go to college and watching her family struggle to deal with their lives and her constant needs.

Personally, I'm all for optional government sponsored health care... as long as it doesn't come with mandates about what legal activites one can and cannot be involved in (smoking, fornication, gluttony etc). Educate people as to the dangers, sure... make any demands, hell no.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

navkat

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 01, 2009, 07:23:50 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 01, 2009, 07:09:23 PM

all that would be against your constitution

Uh, what? I am pretty sure that smoking, abortion, STD and national healthcare aren't covered by the Constitution.

No, she's technically right. I mean: we're supposed to have the right to be secure in our persons and possessions in this country under the Fourth, and the Tenth precludes the Federal Government from being allowed to assume powers not specifically granted in the original Bill of Rights and that all other matters should default to the States and The People. The Tenth was effectively abolished with the Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson administrations otherwise "National Healthcare" would be off the table entirely.

LMNO

I think we're wandering away from the point.

Nav thought smoking doesn't affect anyone but the smoker.

Smokers who need expensive medical treatment rely on either taxpayers or people belonging to the same insurance company.

The medical costs of all the people smoking in the us each year add up to about $90 billion.  Smokers are not the only people who ultimately pay these costs.

Therefore, smoking affects other people.

navkat

Medical Insurance is a product.

National Healthcare is a policy.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 07:44:06 PM

Smokers who need expensive medical treatment rely on either taxpayers or people belonging to the same insurance company.

The medical costs of all the people smoking in the us each year add up to about $90 billion.  Smokers are not the only people who ultimately pay these costs.

Therefore anything you do that might possibly risk your health affects other people. Bunjee Jumping, Driving a Car, not getting proper rest, drinking alcohol, sitting on your ass at PD.com rather than getting good daily exercise...

To tie smoking effects through healthcare seems a bit disingenuous.

fomenter

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 07:44:06 PM

don't smokers pay higher amounts for insurance and more in taxes with the cigarette tax ? i would think between the two the extra cost would almost be negated?
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

LMNO

My point exactly, Rat.

In a society, everything we do can be connected to a large amount of other people.

The notion of "what I do to myself doesn't affect anyone else" is a specious argument.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 07:51:01 PM
My point exactly, Rat.

In a society, everything we do can be connected to a large amount of other people.

The notion of "what I do to myself doesn't affect anyone else" is a specious argument.

Well, sure I mean if we back it up far enough every electron interacts with other electrons so were all one living creature the size of the universe. I'm pretty sure the initial comment was talking about direct effects, not artificially created effects due to insurance companies.

LMNO

So, then a libertarian government would allow a person's pocketbook to determine their health?

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 08:04:29 PM
So, then a libertarian government would allow a person's pocketbook to determine their health?

No.  It would allow it to determine everything.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 08:08:31 PM

:rimshot:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 01, 2009, 07:06:11 PM
Quote from: Nigel on July 01, 2009, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: Requia on July 01, 2009, 06:54:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 04:05:30 PM
2) Adam, when someone is diagnosed with cancer due to smoking, it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat.  The individual smoker doesn't pay that entire cost.  The rest of the public does.

Yes but it also costs hundreds of thousands if you die from something not related to smoking too.  Pretty much everyone will rack up a massive hospital bill towards the end.

While it's true that the overall cost of healthcare is about the same (possibly a little more for nonsmokers because they incur more costs over the span of their longer life) nonsmokers live longer and are productive for more years, paying more into the healthcare system over their life spans.

The argument about health costs for smoking is stupid, particularly now in light of the current administration's plans. Either healthcare is something everyone chips in on and helps out with, or people fund their own. You don't get to say "Well, I would like everyone to pay for healthcare together... also, you can't smoke because it will waste my money!"

I mean, hell what happens when some Christian fundie gets into office and decides that premarital sex is unacceptable because it costs too much in STD treatments, abortions, pregnancies etc? Or abortions aren't covered, or the Pill or ...

If universal healthcare is the goal, then it needs to be universal for all citizens, however they desire to spend their time. If thats not acceptable, then don't stick your money in the group kitty.

I wasn't arguing whether anything is acceptable or consistent. I was only saying that overall, nonsmokers contribute more... if you don't have a cigarette tax, which is a recent introduction here in Oregon.

Stating a fact does not require taking a position.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 08:08:31 PM

Libertarianism defeats the purpose of civilization and, indeed, society itself.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO