News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Is it just me or is distaste for Libertarianism contradictory to discordianism?

Started by navkat, July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on July 10, 2009, 05:00:50 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 04:58:51 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 10, 2009, 04:53:19 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 04:47:23 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 10, 2009, 04:45:23 PM
Can I play?

I overpaid my taxes during the year, so I got a refund in April.

I suppose that means I paid my tax bracket exactly.  Since I'm married, and it's combined income, that puts us in the 26% bracket.

Yeah, so what was your actual net tax burden?  Betcha it wound up being a hell of a lot less than 26% of your combined yearly income.

Ok, you lost me.  I guess I have to add up my payroll taxes, condo tax, excise tax, etc, right?

No.

Your income tax burden.  It's the net amount after all payments, then credits for children, marriage, medical, etc.

Oh, you mean after I try to weasel out of paying taxes with deductions, credits, donations, and the like?

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Where's the weaseling?  I have 4 dependents, and that eats the crap out of my pay.  Should I be paying the same tax rate as someone who has no dependents?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

I don't know what my exact tax burden is percentage wise, but I do know it isn't any amount that causes me any kind of restrictions on how I live my life.  And I kind of like my nice smooth ride on the highways anyway.  And also, I have more money in my paycheck now thanks to Obama reducing the tax burden on my income.  I don't remember that happening under Mr. Bush.  It's hard for me to complain really. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 05:02:16 PM

Where's the weaseling?  I have 4 dependents, and that eats the crap out of my pay.  Should I be paying the same tax rate as someone who has no dependents?

I was joking.  

If it's in the tax rules, it's fair play.  

Yeah, I save my reciepts from when I donate to goodwill, and I look for things that will reduce how much I have to pay.  I don't go so far as offshore tax shelters, though.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 10, 2009, 05:06:06 PM
I don't know what my exact tax burden is percentage wise, but I do know it isn't any amount that causes me any kind of restrictions on how I live my life.  And I kind of like my nice smooth ride on the highways anyway.  And also, I have more money in my paycheck now thanks to Obama reducing the tax burden on my income.  I don't remember that happening under Mr. Bush.  It's hard for me to complain really. 

can you imagine how smooth those highways would be if your government would stop giving huge amounts of money to large corporations and defense contracts which make weapons that are all but useless in modern strife
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 05:01:22 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:00:11 PM
I pay about 28% since I'm single. They take out about 33% so I don't have to pay at the end of the year... 28% is a pretty decent chunk and based on the extra work I'm doing I'll probably get no refund this year.

At the end of the day, I don't mind paying taxes. I do, however, dislike having no control over where those taxes go.

Then you're going to have to propose an entirely different form of government.

Maybe... Remember, the existing government wasn't designed to deal in taxes to the extent it is now. In fact, the original intent was that income was NOT taxable. Only under Lincoln, during the war was income first taxed and that was supposed to be temporary.

Personally, I would prefer a series of categories or something similar as part of the tax system. That way the individuals can assign their taxes to the categories they support. Idiotic pork projects would simply never get funding (I would hope) and other projects would get funding based on the number of citizens that supported the category that project was in.

From a tax standpoint, the only issue I have is that so much of the money is wasted on crap. If the People had some say in where their money was to be used, it would be much better, IMO.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:10:38 PM
Maybe... Remember, the existing government wasn't designed to deal in taxes to the extent it is now. In fact, the original intent was that income was NOT taxable.

What, article I, sec 8, clause 1 was just added last week?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

They do have a say.  They vote out the ass-bags who waste money.  

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 10, 2009, 05:12:35 PM

I think his argument is that the same people who drive television ratings should be allowed to determine where federal money goes.

Take heart, Bill O'Reilly fans!  Your day is coming!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 05:12:26 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:10:38 PM
Maybe... Remember, the existing government wasn't designed to deal in taxes to the extent it is now. In fact, the original intent was that income was NOT taxable.

What, article I, sec 8, clause 1 was just added last week?

Taxes on INCOME (note key word) were NOT in Article 1 Sec 8. The Income tax was created as part of Article 16 in the early 1900's. Before that Lincoln just forced the issue through via the Revenues Act during the Civil War. That got repealed, later the Federal government made a flat income tax which was ruled unconstitutional. The 16th Amendment was in response to that, and since then we've had our income taxed.

Before that, we had taxes on goods, imports and property, not on income.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Uhhhh, what country do you live in? Cause the country I live in seems to focus a lot more on the letter after the name, than on the actual skills/values/etc of the person.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 05:17:07 PM

I think his argument is that the same people who drive television ratings should be allowed to determine where federal money goes.

Take heart, Bill O'Reilly fans!  Your day is coming!

Yeah, I can see it now.  

"Hey everyone, Ryan Seacrest here, it's time to vote on the Ominus Spending Bill!  To vote Aye send your text to..."

AFK

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:18:58 PM

Uhhhh, what country do you live in? Cause the country I live in seems to focus a lot more on the letter after the name, than on the actual skills/values/etc of the person.

And you expect them somehow to be able to focus on a 125 page spending bill? 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:17:59 PM
Taxes on INCOME (note key word) were NOT in Article 1 Sec 8.

Article I, sec 8 allows any taxes for any reason on any funds or income, provided any taxes have the same rate schedule for all 50 states.

QuoteSection 8
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and
Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general
Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be
uniform throughout the United States;

That includes income.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 10, 2009, 05:20:00 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:18:58 PM

And you expect them somehow to be able to focus on a 125 page spending bill? 

Mind the gap.

:lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Here's the thing. Out of 100% of the voting public, maybe 20% actually think before they press the button. (Numbers straight from my ass). Now, that 20% aren't gonna be able to outvote stupid.

However, if 100% of the public are given the option of specifying where their funds go... maybe only 20% would choose to itemize their funding. That 20% won't bee able to stop ALL bad projects, but they would be able to feel better about their taxes not being wasted, or them having no say.