News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Is it just me or is distaste for Libertarianism contradictory to discordianism?

Started by navkat, July 01, 2009, 02:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:27:19 PM
Here's the thing. Out of 100% of the voting public, maybe 20% actually think before they press the button. (Numbers straight from my ass). Now, that 20% aren't gonna be able to outvote stupid.

However, if 100% of the public are given the option of specifying where their funds go... maybe only 20% would choose to itemize their funding. That 20% won't bee able to stop ALL bad projects, but they would be able to feel better about their taxes not being wasted, or them having no say.

The other 80% will do whatever Bill O'Reilly or Keith Olberman tell them.

Government by demagogue.  Outfuckingstanding.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

It might destroy the country, but at least we'll feel "empowered".   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

If our country requires 100 idiots to make our decisions for us... then it should be destroyed.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:30:44 PM
If our country requires 100 idiots to make our decisions for us... then it should be destroyed.

All spending bills (including taxes) start in the house, which has 435 members.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2009, 05:34:24 PM

Whoo Hoo 435 more idiots... except these guys tend to be more crazy, partisan, manipulated and whacko than the Senate.

Makes me feel much more comfortable in how our money is being spent.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 05:36:06 PM

Whoo Hoo 435 more idiots... except these guys tend to be more crazy, partisan, manipulated and whacko than the Senate.

Welcome to the republic.  Please keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times. 

AFK

Then what does that say about the 100 million or so of us who put them there?  I don't want any idiot who thinks Michele Bachmann is qualified to be a Congresswoman anywhere near a piece of legislation. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 10, 2009, 05:40:09 PM

Then what does that say about the 100 million or so of us who put them there?  I don't want any idiot who thinks Michele Bachmann is qualified to be a Congresswoman anywhere near a piece of legislation. 

I want the people that elected Harry Reid to do it!  UNNNNNNNNNNG!

AFK

Kai

Do you have a better idea that will actually work?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

I say, let's let the average dumbfuck decide the fate of the NEA and NES.

TGRR,
All guns, no butter.

Kai

Let me clarify Ratatosk. Obviously you think that a republican system of government is fatally flawed in some way. I'm personally under the impression that for the size of population in this country and the diversity of opinions and levels of education, a republican system is the best thing we can manage at the moment as flawed as it may be. If you think there is a better system that would work for our current conditions, I'd like to hear it.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on July 10, 2009, 05:52:42 PM

Do you have a better idea that will actually work?

Well I think there are several opportunities to improve the current system. One idea, as I stated earlier is to let citizens have some self-determination in how their taxes are spent. Another option, now that its possible, is to have some sort of interactive solution between the representative and the constituents, where the representative can see in real time (as can the constituents) how the people being represented feel about the issue being voted on and then people could see if their representative was really listening to his people, doing whatever he wanted or maybe voting in line with some back room deal rather than in line with the people he represents.

Any system which provides more input from the populace, more accountability to the representative etc. would be fantastic.

Quote from: Kai on July 10, 2009, 06:00:55 PM
Let me clarify Ratatosk. Obviously you think that a republican system of government is fatally flawed in some way. I'm personally under the impression that for the size of population in this country and the diversity of opinions and levels of education, a republican system is the best thing we can manage at the moment as flawed as it may be. If you think there is a better system that would work for our current conditions, I'd like to hear it.

I think a republican system could work, if most of the issues were dealt with at a state level and the Republic only dealt with serious issues of national impact... rather than Terri Schivo's feeding tube, marijuana usage by cancer patients etc. IF the republic tried to govern as little as possible, mostly acting to step in when a State couldn't find a solution, or when someone's civil/human rights are being violated... then I think it would be great.

However, thats not what we have today. What we have today is a House/Senate that would love to have their fingers in every pie and do so at any opportunity.

If MOST issues were handled at a State level, if MOST taxes were paid at a State level  then I think individuals would have a lot more say in how money gets spent, in how issues get settled and overall more control of their own government.

Kai

I don't know if the house and senate are the biggest problems really. Somehow I feel like the executive branch, not the POTUS directly, but all the executive organizations underneath, is a bigger issue. Theres only so much that congress can do (ie produce legislation). The follow through is up to the executive bureaus and associated organizations.

AFK

One of the fundamental issues is that you have a bunch of citizens who want to live together as one, in happy harmony, and take care of one another.

Then you have a bunch of citizens who want to live in the middle of the woods and be left alone.

Some one has to be an arbiter to bridge those two, sizable and substantial camps. 

If you simply left it to the citizens, you might have even more gridlock than you already have.