PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

An experiment with Babylon and LMNO

Started by LMNO, July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

:lmnuendo:

Ok, honestly now.

The basics of the experiment: I will roll a six-sided die 100 times, recording the sequence of the results: 1-4 (L), or 3-6 (H).  I will then PM those results to Rat and Cain.  I will also PM 000 and Nigel, and tell them my expectations and assumptions of this experiment.

BabylonH will them attempt to use magic to determine each roll. He will send those results to Cram and Fomenter.

We will then compare my rolls to his predictions.  As far as my math can determine, he has a 66% chance of getting each roll correct purely by chance.  We will see if by magic we can predict with a 25% better accuracy; 25% of 66% is 16.5%, so we are looking for about 82 correct guesses out of 100.

Details:

1. BabylonH, do you want to predict before, during, or after I roll 100 times?

2. What should be the timeframe for this experiment?

3. Do you want any additional safeguards to assure I will be fair and impartial?

Cain

I think you should just challenge him to 10 games of Blackjack.

Card counting > magic, every single time.

Thurnez Isa

I think we still think we need two controls
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

bds

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 01, 2009, 10:19:30 PM
I think we still think we need two controls

In that case, I'll predict it 100 times, and PM the results to two other people?

LMNO

Ok, Thurnez and TBS will also make 100 predictions, and I'll throw in 100 coin flips, as well.

That is to say, I will flip a coin 100 times.  Heads will be (L), tails will be (H), to randomize the prediction.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM
:lmnuendo:

Ok, honestly now.

The basics of the experiment: I will roll a six-sided die 100 times, recording the sequence of the results: 1-4 (L), or 3-6 (H).  I will then PM those results to Rat and Cain.  I will also PM 000 and Nigel, and tell them my expectations and assumptions of this experiment.

BabylonH will them attempt to use magic to determine each roll. He will send those results to Cram and Fomenter.

We will then compare my rolls to his predictions.  As far as my math can determine, he has a 66% chance of getting each roll correct purely by chance.  We will see if by magic we can predict with a 25% better accuracy; 25% of 66% is 16.5%, so we are looking for about 82 correct guesses out of 100.

Details:

1. BabylonH, do you want to predict before, during, or after I roll 100 times?

2. What should be the timeframe for this experiment?

3. Do you want any additional safeguards to assure I will be fair and impartial?

To get the best mindframe I need to have a slightly different physical environment than I have at the moment, but what time you roll vs when I predict is irrelevent for me, so you can roll and record the results whenever you like.  I plan to do the predictions a bit later tonight (between 8 and 10 hours from now).

I trust in your fairness, I don't think you'd rig the results, and you have enough safeguards built in that I don't see any other measures that need to be taken.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

This is starting to sound like an episode of Hustle, only without Jaime Murray as eye candy.

bds

Right. I'll PM my results to Cainad and Suu, when I make them, which should probably be in a few hours.

Sounding good?

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 10:26:25 PM
This is starting to sound like an episode of Hustle, only without Jaime Murray as eye candy.

:lol:

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

Cain

She can act quite well, you know.  Actually, really well.  You'd never guess, from watching the series.

Thurnez Isa

Ok I sent my guesses to Jenne and BRIS to keep it fair

Dante

Bu🤠ns

Roaring Biscuit!

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 10:32:14 PM
She can act quite well, you know.  Actually, really well.  You'd never guess, from watching the series.

i thought she was pretty ace in Dexter, if you've ever watched that, but um..  to be on topic...

What happens if Babylon "wins"...  is science broken?

x

edd

Cain

Quote from: TSosBR! on July 01, 2009, 11:50:17 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 10:32:14 PM

i thought she was pretty ace in Dexter, if you've ever watched that, but um..  to be on topic...

I've only seen a few episodes actually, so I didn't know she was in it.  But yeah, when given a decent role and good lines, she is excellent.

bds