News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

An experiment with Babylon and LMNO

Started by LMNO, July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I don't have his predictions, and I'm going away for the weekend.

So, results on Monday!

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: LMNO on July 02, 2009, 08:02:43 PM
I don't have his predictions, and I'm going away for the weekend.

So, results on Monday!

I sent them to Cram and Fomentor.  Didn't know if I was supposed to send them to you too or not.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

LMNO

BabylonHoruv

predictions, including the actual numbers predicted, just for fun

6,1,2,2,6,5,1,2,1,5,4,1,5,1,4,6,1,2,3,2,5,1,1,3,4,2,2,5,6,3,1,3,1,5,3,3,6,3,4,3,3,1,3,2,6,4,6,3,2,3,3,3,1,1,2,5,2,4,2,3,2,5,1,2,5,1,5,3,4,5,1,2,4,1,6,5,1,6,5,1,6,5,1,6,1,3,2,3,4,5,5,2,3,2,3,5,2,3,5,1

H,L,L,L,H,H,L,L,L,H,H,L,H,L,H,H,L,L,L,L,H,L,L,L,H,L,L,H,H,L,L,L,L,H,L,L,H,L,H,L,L,L,L,L,H,H,H,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,H,L,H,L,L,L,H,L,L,H,L,H,L,H,H,L,L,H,L,H,H,L,H,H,L,H,H,L,H,L,L,L,L,H,H,H,L,L,L,L,H,L,L,H,L
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Iason Ouabache

BTW, has anyone contacted James Randi yet? If Babylon actually does have something going here then we might be eligible for a million bucks.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Iason Gayle on July 02, 2009, 08:40:52 PM
BTW, has anyone contacted James Randi yet? If Babylon actually does have something going here then we might be eligible for a million bucks.

You're just trying to evoke skeptic energy to mess with the results.

SPERIMENT ROONT.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2009, 11:40:26 AM
Quote from: Cainad on July 02, 2009, 05:32:10 AM
This shouldn't be interesting. But I will have plenty to think about if it is.

Also: this experiment should be done at least twice, to ensure that the results can be reliably replicated. Not necessarily immediately after this one, but at some point.

I would suggest at least three times, and with a sceptic doing the guessing once.

Also, someone with statistics experience (NIGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!) should look at the results, because there is a particular test (chi-squared?  I can't remember) which you can apply to tell you if deviations in answers fall within a reasonable range or if they indicate something else is going on.

What? Oh hi. What am I supposed to do? Interpret the statistical deviation of the results if they fall outside of the expected range of probability?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on July 02, 2009, 09:01:50 PM

Also: this experiment should be done at least twice, to ensure that the results can be reliably replicated. Not necessarily immediately after this one, but at some point.

I would suggest at least three times, and with a sceptic doing the guessing once.

Also, someone with statistics experience (NIGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!) should look at the results, because there is a particular test (chi-squared?  I can't remember) which you can apply to tell you if deviations in answers fall within a reasonable range or if they indicate something else is going on.

What? Oh hi. What am I supposed to do? Interpret the statistical deviation of the results if they fall outside of the expected range of probability?

I think the first question was about the existing probabilities:

So Babylon picks L or H (low or high) and 1234=L 3456=H

What is the statistical likelihood that he will randomly pick the right one, we're looking for 66% or something near there. LMNO thinks this boils down to 50/50 and I'm inclined to agree.

WHAT DOES THE NIGEL THINKS?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on July 02, 2009, 09:01:50 PM

Also, someone with statistics experience (NIGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!) should look at the results, because there is a particular test (chi-squared?  I can't remember) which you can apply to tell you if deviations in answers fall within a reasonable range or if they indicate something else is going on.

Yes. And also to generally correct any grievous mistakes made on our part about statistics and probability (of which I personally see none, but I don't know much about this sort of thing and I am also kinda dumb).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's pretty much a binary question, so yeah, it boils down to 50/50 if we're just looking at a high/low ration and not sorting his guesses by accuracy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

The problem, if there is one, I think lays Nigel is that both 3 and 4 are both high and low
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, if we're throwing away the threes and fours, and the fives and sixes count the same and the ones and twos count the same, what's the point of this exercise? It's just a complicated way to use a die as a coin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Unless I am missing something really crucial in the interpretation...

bds

I don't think so, Nigel. Seems that way to me too...