News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

An experiment with Babylon and LMNO

Started by LMNO, July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: TSosBR! on July 01, 2009, 11:50:17 PM

What happens if Babylon "wins"...  is science broken?

no but it lends some validity to his claim
science's job is not to say a certain claim is crap
its to test the claim
that's what all those anti-science new age magic freaks don't understand
if they could perform a certain task
IT IS SCIENCE
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Correct.

I think there is a difference between skepticism and pseudo-skepticism. Scientists need to be skeptics, they assume X is unknown and look to see if they can find data that may prove or disprove. Pseudo-skeptics though start from the assumption that X is false, unless data proves otherwise.

I think this is one of the key bits that some people label 'fundie'.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Iason Ouabache

Really Real Skeptics start with the null hypothesis and then try to prove that wrong. Start with the assumption that there is nothing there and then try to find evidence that there is.

http://www.null-hypothesis.co.uk/science//item/what_is_a_null_hypothesis

QuoteIn statistics, the only way of supporting your hypothesis is to refute the null hypothesis. Rather than trying to prove your idea (the alternate hypothesis) right you must show that the null hypothesis is likely to be wrong – you have to 'refute' or 'nullify' the null hypothesis. Unfortunately you have to assume that your alternate hypothesis is wrong until you find evidence to the contrary.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

LMNO

Ok, i'm going to do this at noon, EST.  Be prepared.

Fuquad

1-4 low 5-6 high.

of course that gives you roughly 66.6..% but sometimes you must make do.

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on July 02, 2009, 03:05:34 AM
1-4 low 5-6 high.

of course that gives you roughly 66.6..% but sometimes you must make do.

No, High is 3-6.  Which means roughly one third of the results will be both High and Low.  Babylon's magic apparently works best if he has a 2/3rds chance of getting it right anyway.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

You must have seen my pre-edit post.

So, I will roll the die, and record the number.

For example, if I roll

It can be scored in the following ways:

1 L
2 L
3 L,H
4 L,H
5 H
6 H

We will be matching the numbers v. the predictions.

what's interesting with this is that while in one sense he gets a 66% chance of being correct, in another sense, he can be RIGHT 33% of the time, and LUCKY 33% of the time.

I'd really like to figure another way to get a 2/3 probability much more cleanly.

Fuquad

On a roll from 1-4 is low
on a roll from 5-6 is high.

He should average 2/3rds merely by picking low.

However Long Walk statistics lets us know that this is not the case. He will most likely not reach the target goal of +25% percent using that technique, and he will definitely not make it if the Long Walk goes against his favor. He will most likely have to mix up his guesses in order to make the goal.
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

BabylonHoruv

My predictions are sent to Cram and Fomenter.

I included numerical predictions as well as High Low, to see how close those are.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 10:19:03 PM
I think you should just challenge him to 10 games of Blackjack.

Card counting > magic, every single time.

THIS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BabylonHoruv

would it be cheating to also send my prediction to LMNO prior to him rolling the dice?  I don't wanna step outside the established rules, I just think that might make it more likely he'll roll the way I predicted.

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 02, 2009, 05:04:51 AM
would it be cheating to also send my prediction to LMNO prior to him rolling the dice?  I don't wanna step outside the established rules, I just think that might make it more likely he'll roll the way I predicted.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

This shouldn't be interesting. But I will have plenty to think about if it is.

Also: this experiment should be done at least twice, to ensure that the results can be reliably replicated. Not necessarily immediately after this one, but at some point.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM
:lmnuendo:

Ok, honestly now.

The basics of the experiment: I will roll a six-sided die 100 times, recording the sequence of the results: 1-4 (L), or 3-6 (H).  I will then PM those results to Rat and Cain.  I will also PM 000 and Nigel, and tell them my expectations and assumptions of this experiment.

huh what? do I need to do anything?

here's 100 dice rolls: http://bit.ly/trips-secret-stash-of-random-numbers knock yourself out. it's my prediction.

if they are not correct, then maybe the gods messed it up and this is actually the correct prediction for that sports picks game thingy I did a while ago when I used a coin and failed horribly.

In which case the coin from back then is the correct prediction for today.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 02, 2009, 08:04:28 AM
Quote from: LMNO on July 01, 2009, 10:17:23 PM
:lmnuendo:

Ok, honestly now.

The basics of the experiment: I will roll a six-sided die 100 times, recording the sequence of the results: 1-4 (L), or 3-6 (H).  I will then PM those results to Rat and Cain.  I will also PM 000 and Nigel, and tell them my expectations and assumptions of this experiment.

huh what? do I need to do anything?

here's 100 dice rolls: http://bit.ly/trips-secret-stash-of-random-numbers knock yourself out. it's my prediction.

if they are not correct, then maybe the gods messed it up and this is actually the correct prediction for that sports picks game thingy I did a while ago when I used a coin and failed horribly.

In which case the coin from back then is the correct prediction for today.

You need to reveal his expectation afterwards.

-Dok Howl