News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

So, where have all the armchair Twitter revolutionaries gone?

Started by Cain, July 01, 2009, 10:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Hey, um, a democratic leader in a country not too far from the USA was ousted in a coup earlier this week.  You guys gonna...um, change the colours on your profiles and Tweet endlessly about this?  Anybody?  Or don't Hondurans count now?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 10:45:36 PM
Hey, um, a democratic leader in a country not too far from the USA was ousted in a coup earlier this week.  You guys gonna...um, change the colours on your profiles and Tweet endlessly about this?  Anybody?  Or don't Hondurans count now?

Well, its not like they're a real country anyway, besides the news media isn't all abuzz about it so it must not be important.

Right?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Also, the now ex-president is an ally of Chavez, which seems to be a big motivating factor in this. 

According to the Wall Street Journal, military coup's strengthen and defend democracy, by keeping it in a safe bunker deep underground, with many armed guards:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124623220955866301.html

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 10:53:46 PM
Also, the now ex-president is an ally of Chavez, which seems to be a big motivating factor in this. 

According to the Wall Street Journal, military coup's strengthen and defend democracy, by keeping it in a safe bunker deep underground, with many armed guards:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124623220955866301.html

Yeah liked that damned democratically elected guy in Bolivia. He needs overthrown to protect our interests their democracy!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the last yatto

I'm still waiting to see if the attorney general is going to charge him with drug trafficking and treason like he said he would
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2009, 10:53:46 PM

What the fuck is wrong with the media?  Washington post has been doing the same kind of BS with its foreign coverage, are the neocons taking them over or something?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Yeah, they're going downhill.

The Post was always a little too defensive of the powers that be in Washington, especially on the right.  Their actual field reporters are great - people like Tom Ricks for example, who have extensive knowledge and sound judgement on their topics of choice (incidentally, read Rick's Fiasco and The Gamble if you want a political-military history of the run-up to the war in Iraq and the surge, highly recommended).

The problem is the editorial team, and especially the people around Fred Hiatt.  They're very much pro-Neocon in their worldview.  In addition to this, they have used financial cuts at the Post to get rid of reporters they ideologically disagree with.  I can't remember the name of this one in particular, but he wrote the third most popular story, in terms of links, in 2008, and yet they junked him recently because...well, they don't like his opinions.  Great reporter, brought the punters in...but none of that mattered.

Triple Zero

my avatar has had a yellow/purple swirl behind it for MONTHS already to show my support for the poor people in Hondaria

but did you see anyone else do it?

it's like people dont even care anymore.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.