News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Why Fundies Love Palin

Started by Iason Ouabache, July 03, 2009, 05:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/07/the-core-of-palins-appeal.html

QuotePart of Sarah Palin's irresistible appeal to her fundamentalist base is her ability to look at the camera with utter conviction and declare black to be white.

The ability to lie well is a valuable part of the fundamentalist psychology. My son isn't gay, he just hasn't found the right woman! Those rocks aren't 50 million years old, they just look like it as a test of our faith! My sexless marriage isn't foundering, it is filled with God's spirit! The minister isn't molesting little Maria, they're just very close! It isn't torture, it is being tough on terrorists!

Fundamentalists can recognize a truly audacious and talented liar from miles away. Instead of running the other way, as you might expect, they gather around the powerful liar, for they know that their own lies will be respected and protected by a leader who understands the paramount importance of preserving their whole system of denial.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Good Reverend Roger

Actually, the fundies like her for the same reason they are fundies in the first place:  She says that there are really very simple solutions to complex problems. 

This is all you have to offer stupid people.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Squid Diddimus

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Um...while Sullivan is pretty sensible, for a conservative, I have to point out he is a member of a group who condemn people like him to burn in hellfire for all eternity on the basis of his sexuality.

I mean, if we want to talk about denial and lying here...

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 03, 2009, 06:57:45 PM
Quote from: Squid on July 03, 2009, 06:56:05 PM
fundies=  :argh!:

Fundies =  :lulz:

I will admit I have some respect for fundies on two things
1) honesty - i already wrote a bit about that
2) sometimes they are the only ones that seem to act on their ideals
there's too many people on the opposite end I talk to where you ask them if they care about the fact that political life is more and more invading private life, and then when you ask what they do about it... you get eating Cheetos and watching the comedy network
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 03, 2009, 07:08:18 PM

Yeah, when they're not fucking off to Argentina to see the mistress or playing the "stall game" in airport restrooms.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 03, 2009, 07:10:05 PM

Yeah, when they're not fucking off to Argentina to see the mistress or playing the "stall game" in airport restrooms.

I usually try not to associate most of the politicians with the people, cause I'm never sure if they actually believe this shit or if they believe in the votes it gets them.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 03, 2009, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 03, 2009, 07:10:05 PM

I usually try not to associate most of the politicians with the people, cause I'm never sure if they actually believe this shit or if they believe in the votes it gets them.

Both.

Thurnez Isa

Ok then repressed sexuality FTW

it also gives them the opportunity to go on camera a few years later and cry about "being a sinner" and getting endless brownie points
You can't lose

Dante

Iason Ouabache

fundies=  :argh!:

Fundies =  :horrormirth:

Too bad their ideals suck and could very easily get us all killed.
    \

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Gayle on July 03, 2009, 07:48:03 PM
fundies=  :argh!:

Fundies =  :horrormirth:

Too bad their ideals suck and could very easily get us all killed.

Still funny.

Iason Ouabache

Hey, speaking of Palin. She just quit her job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8133964.stm

QuoteFormer Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin has anounced she will resign as governor of Alaska on 26 July and not run for re-election.

Mrs Palin's term of office was due to end in 2010.

There has been speculation that Mrs Palin, who is very popular with the Republican Party base, might make a bid for the White House in 2012.

Commentators have also suggested Mrs Palin could be considering a run for one of Alaska's Senate seats.

Polls indicated she was very popular in Alaska during the first few years of her governorship, and although her approval ratings have dipped somewhat since her vice-presidential run, she still enjoys widespread popularity in her home state.

In a statement announcing her intention to step down, Mrs Palin said she had asked her family for their opinion before making her decision.

Mrs Palin did not reveal what she intended to do after leaving office.

Her resignation means Alaska's Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell will take over as state governor.
    \

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit