News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Links in Discordian works to "established" philosophies

Started by NWC, May 27, 2010, 11:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

NWC

There was mention of Deleuze in a thread I made about mentions of chaos in different philosophies, but now this makes me really want to read him. Especially seeing as he's French, I won't have to read a translation(my number 1 motivation for learning German - translated philosophy can be a headache, especially from German).

A quick search shows me it was you, Cain, who mentioned him in that thread. Any reccomendations for starting off? I have a decent sized reading list already for the summer, I'd probably only have time for one more book. The three you mentioned were Capitalism and Schizophrenia, What Is Philosophy?, and Difference and Repetition.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Cain on June 19, 2010, 05:14:00 PM
Deleuze is about the most Discordian philosopher I've read.

Cool.  :)  I've been wondering about that.  I'm a bit of nut about Deleuze and Guattari (not an expert by any stretch - i just like thinking with them), and have been reading the PD, BIP, etc (all new to me) mainly through their writing.  Wondered a little over the past few months if I was imposing coherence/Lo5ing.

NWC - Other than any suggestions cain or others might have, if you'd like something short to add to your list, there's a quick 4 page essay (1992) - "Postscript on the Societies of Control" by Deleuze.  I found it here

- off to click lings and crib notes from the rest of this thread  :)
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

NWC

I started l'Anti-Œdipe today. The style takes some getting used to, but I like it so far. I'm only 20 pages in, but I'm excited to read the rest.

Cain

That's one of the more stylistically unusual books, but I do like the introduction to it by Foucault (I'm still digesting the rest).

I do have a folder full of all of Deleuze's books and major papers on my HD...somewhere.  In English, no less.  If I find it, I'll upload and pass on the link to anyone interested.

NWC

Found something interesting while reading a Stanford Encyclopedia Article on Wittgenstein. This quotation refers to his book Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. 

Quote[...]the Tractatus has gone over its own limits, and stands in danger of being nonsensical.

The "solution" to this tension is found in Wittgenstein's final remarks, where he uses the metaphor of the ladder to express the function of the Tractatus. It is to be used in order to climb on it, in order to "see the world rightly"; but thereafter it must be recognized as nonsense and be thrown away. Hence: "whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent".

[...]

More recent readings tend to take nonsense more seriously as exactly that — nonsense. This also entails taking seriously Wittgenstein's words in 6.54 — his famous ladder metaphor — and throwing out the Tractatus itself. The Tractatus, on this stance, beyond telling the reader about the ineffable (metaphysics, ethics, aesthetics, logical form, pictorial form, etc.), is a part of the ineffable as well, and should be recognized as such. An accompanying discussion must then also deal with how this can be recognized, what this can possibly mean, and how it should be used, if at all.

This of course reminded me of the Pentabarf, specifically the 5th rule: A discordian is prohibited of believing what he reads. I get a similar vibe from this quote from Wittgenstein, talking about the Tractatus:

QuoteMy work consists of two parts, the one presented here plus all that I have not written. And it is precisely this second part that is the important point. For the ethical gets its limit drawn from the inside, as it were, by my book; ... I've managed in my book to put everything firmly into place by being silent about it.

I don't really have any thoughts on all of this, but it rang a bell so I thought I'd share. I'm on an analytic philosophy kick right now, and it's rare to see an analytic philosopher as rigorous as Wittgenstein get all nonsensical. It's pleasant though, I find.

Cain

Wittgenstein was probably the last good analytic philosopher.  Well, the last one who didn't make me want to slap someone.