News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

I'm making a religion based on Emergence.

Started by Kai, July 04, 2009, 04:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:12:48 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:12:20 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:07:29 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:06:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:03:58 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 02:56:26 AM
I'm one of those weird carbon based proteinaceous beings with dioxyribonucleotide storage of genetic material. Don't know if that makes me living or not, but I'm going with "living" anyway.

Beats the alternative.   :lulz:

Yeah. I mean, crystalline latticeworks are pretty and all, but try BEING one for a while. Must be boring as fuck.

Well, that's not what I meant, but sure.  My first wife was like that.

Just sitting around, undergoing nucleation process....eating salts and silicon....

Well, it's an excuse to sit on the beach.

I guess so...

Anyway, no, I'm not one of those. Definitly. I mean, if you gave me one of those DoT worksheets and it had the check boxes "Are you: Living? Non-living? Deceased? Undead?" I'd definitely check the "Living" box.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:17:47 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:12:48 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:12:20 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:07:29 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:06:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:03:58 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 02:56:26 AM
I'm one of those weird carbon based proteinaceous beings with dioxyribonucleotide storage of genetic material. Don't know if that makes me living or not, but I'm going with "living" anyway.

Beats the alternative.   :lulz:

Yeah. I mean, crystalline latticeworks are pretty and all, but try BEING one for a while. Must be boring as fuck.

Well, that's not what I meant, but sure.  My first wife was like that.

Just sitting around, undergoing nucleation process....eating salts and silicon....

Well, it's an excuse to sit on the beach.

I guess so...

Anyway, no, I'm not one of those. Definitly. I mean, if you gave me one of those DoT worksheets and it had the check boxes "Are you: Living? Non-living? Deceased? Undead?" I'd definitely check the "Living" box.

Me?  Depends?  Is there an "other" box?  Actually applies in my case.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:24:15 AM
Oh geez, I forgot!  :oops:

Forgot what?  I'm in the same condition as any other human.  It's just that I have a better idea of the how and the when.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:25:10 AM

Forgot what?  I'm in the same condition as any other human.  It's just that I have a better idea of the how and the when.

Well, rain gods need to fill out their DoT forms too. And profits prophets. Standard bureaucratic procedure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:29:38 AM

Well, rain gods need to fill out their DoT forms too. And profits prophets. Standard bureaucratic procedure.

Yep.  But that's not what I thought you were talking about.   :lulz:

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:30:28 AM

I always thought you'd go out in a fiery blaze of exploding toilets and propane while laughing and cursing at the same time. And then the earth would be covered by darkness for three days.

And then, rain would be different once in a while, smelling faintly of urine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 03:33:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 03:30:28 AM

I always thought you'd go out in a fiery blaze of exploding toilets and propane while laughing and cursing at the same time. And then the earth would be covered by darkness for three days.

And then, rain would be different once in a while, smelling faintly of urine.

You know, that's not a half-bad idea...

LMNO

And thus, another apocalypse story is born...

...Getting back to the OP, and TGRR's request for a short synopsis:  I'm fairly good at condensing information; I'll try to really sit down with your material and see what I can do, if that's all right with you, Kai.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on September 01, 2009, 01:22:32 PM
And thus, another apocalypse story is born...

...Getting back to the OP, and TGRR's request for a short synopsis:  I'm fairly good at condensing information; I'll try to really sit down with your material and see what I can do, if that's all right with you, Kai.

Sure. I'd appreciate that. :)

Brotep

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 02:41:34 AM
Quote from: Anton on September 01, 2009, 01:37:06 AM
Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 01:35:42 AM
Quote from: Anton on September 01, 2009, 01:32:39 AM
Shouldn't an emergence-based religion occur on its own?  :P
It is.

Is it?

Unless Kai isn't a biological life form.  Is that the position you wish to take?

Actually, if one is arguing from the standpoint of Kai as a plurality, this is easily done.

However, emergence is not specifically limited to biological (or non-biological) systems.

The position I wish to take is that "I'm making a religion based on Emergence" is contrary to the spirit of Emergence, in that it posits an independent self that is acting on the world to construct a religion.

Kai

Quote from: Anton on September 01, 2009, 10:02:05 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 02:41:34 AM
Quote from: Anton on September 01, 2009, 01:37:06 AM
Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 01:35:42 AM
Quote from: Anton on September 01, 2009, 01:32:39 AM
Shouldn't an emergence-based religion occur on its own?  :P
It is.

Is it?

Unless Kai isn't a biological life form.  Is that the position you wish to take?

Actually, if one is arguing from the standpoint of Kai as a plurality, this is easily done.

However, emergence is not specifically limited to biological (or non-biological) systems.

The position I wish to take is that "I'm making a religion based on Emergence" is contrary to the spirit of Emergence, in that it posits an independent self that is acting on the world to construct a religion.

1. We don't talk about that here.

2. I don't give a shit. You're getting annoying with your "cleverness".

Captain Utopia

No, it posits that we are not independent selves, but pawns of emergence. As all religions are constructed, I'm not sure how else you expect a religion to come into existence.

Are you suggesting a more appropriate construction would be for an "Emergent Bible" to appear fully formed, printed and bound, without any human interaction? That's mythical, not emergent.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 10:13:55 PM
No, it posits that we are not independent selves, but pawns of emergence. As all religions are constructed, I'm not sure how else you expect a religion to come into existence.

Are you suggesting a more appropriate construction would be for an "Emergent Bible" to appear fully formed, printed and bound, without any human interaction? That's mythical, not emergent.

No, it would gradually come together out of the work of many individuals, in such a way that you could not predict that the Emergent Bible was occurring by looking at affairs at the level of the individual, only by looking at the societal or cultural level.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Kai

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 10:13:55 PM

Can you please quit telling people what MY religion posits and doesn't posit? PLEASE? Nowhere did I say anything about "not independent selves" or of being pawns of anything. You're putting words in my mouth.