News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

I'm making a religion based on Emergence.

Started by Kai, July 04, 2009, 04:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on August 31, 2009, 10:26:34 PM
Megatherium

QuoteThere is a common misbelief that the sabre-toothed cat Smilodon hunted Megatherium, but healthy adult sloths were far too large for Smilodon to attack. Richard Fariña and Ernesto Blanco of the Universidad de la República in Montevideo have analysed a fossil skeleton of M. americanum and discovered that its olecranon - the part of the elbow to which the triceps muscle attaches - was very short. This adaptation is found in carnivores and optimises speed rather than strength. The researchers say this would have enabled M. americanum to use its claws like daggers.

From Wikipedia.

...And it still failed vs tiny primates with sticks.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 31, 2009, 08:56:05 PM
unfortunately most of the cool life on this planet has already went extinct
:cry:

So untrue! There are four-foot-long bright turquoise earthworms! Even shit like chickens are pretty damn cool... little tiny omnivorous dinosaurs. Cool life is EVERYWHERE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

The tiny primates with sticks were unfortunately smarter. However, the people around THESE days...

I swear, the paleolithic humans probably could have taken down some of the large sauropods, T. rex and raptors of the Cretaceous, but people these days would just end up like the poor schmucks in Jurassic Park.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on August 31, 2009, 10:39:30 PM

So untrue! There are four-foot-long bright turquoise earthworms! Even shit like chickens are pretty damn cool... little tiny omnivorous dinosaurs. Cool life is EVERYWHERE.

Yes. Very yes.

I think I've written a rant about this.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

How much of it stomps around cities throwing busses around?  Huh?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

FYI my friend PIGD was raised by parents who had made up their own religion when they were young and still adhere to it. I think it's pretty cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2009, 10:45:16 PM

How much of it stomps around cities throwing busses around?  Huh?

The problem with cities is that by their very nature they protect against attacks by giant enemies.

That's why all the scary killers now are tiny.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on August 31, 2009, 10:47:28 PM

The problem with cities is that by their very nature they protect against attacks by giant enemies.

No, they protect against attack by other primates.  A gigantic fucking lizard loose in Chicago would be damn near impossible to stop.

Kai

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on August 31, 2009, 10:46:27 PM
FYI my friend PIGD was raised by parents who had made up their own religion when they were young and still adhere to it. I think it's pretty cool.

That is cool.  :)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2009, 10:48:50 PM

No, they protect against attack by other primates.  A gigantic fucking lizard loose in Chicago would be damn near impossible to stop.

The reason they protect against attacks by giant, say, lizards/bears/angry elephants/etc. is because there is no habitat here to speak of. A giant lizard in Chicago would, just like a small lizard in Chicago, end up dying of dehydration or cold within a few days. Plus it would have no reason to be near Chicago in the first place; someone would have to bring it there.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2009, 09:34:10 PM
Quote from: Kai on August 31, 2009, 09:04:59 PM

We have giant squid. And colossal squid

...Which hardly ever attack cities.

I feel ripped off.

one day hopefully we'll find a way to bring back some creatures ala Jurassic park style
and if I still have access to the DNA lab that day I'll be bringing back all sorts of weird creatures
:lulz:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Kai

This makes me want to genetically engineer some giant warmblooded carnivorous sauropods and set the loose on the great plains in family groups.

They could live on humans! Its a win-win!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on August 31, 2009, 10:54:53 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2009, 10:48:50 PM

The reason they protect against attacks by giant, say, lizards/bears/angry elephants/etc. is because there is no habitat here to speak of. A giant lizard in Chicago would, just like a small lizard in Chicago, end up dying of dehydration or cold within a few days. Plus it would have no reason to be near Chicago in the first place; someone would have to bring it there.

Please stop fucking up my dreams with your hideous reality.   :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 31, 2009, 10:56:32 PM

I feel ripped off.

one day hopefully we'll find a way to bring back some creatures ala Jurassic park style
and if I still have access to the DNA lab that day I'll be bringing back all sorts of weird creatures

http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html

QuoteAfter years spent hunting for the buried remains of prehistoric animals, a Canadian paleontologist now plans to manipulate chicken embryos to show he can create a dinosaur.

Hans Larsson, the Canada Research Chair in Macro Evolution at Montreal's McGill University, said he aims to develop dinosaur traits that disappeared millions of years ago in birds.

Larsson believes by flipping certain genetic levers during a chicken embryo's development, he can reproduce the dinosaur anatomy, he told AFP in an interview.

Though still in its infancy, the research could eventually lead to hatching live prehistoric animals, but Larsson said there are no plans for that now, for ethical and practical reasons -- a dinosaur hatchery is "too large an enterprise."

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on August 31, 2009, 11:00:07 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 31, 2009, 10:56:32 PM

I feel ripped off.

http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html

I just wanna say
that is not me
I swear

but I do wanna join his group
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante