News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

I'm making a religion based on Emergence.

Started by Kai, July 04, 2009, 04:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: GA on September 01, 2009, 10:15:53 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 10:13:55 PM
Quote from: Anton on September 01, 2009, 10:02:05 PM
The position I wish to take is that "I'm making a religion based on Emergence" is contrary to the spirit of Emergence, in that it posits an independent self that is acting on the world to construct a religion.
No, it posits that we are not independent selves, but pawns of emergence. As all religions are constructed, I'm not sure how else you expect a religion to come into existence.

Are you suggesting a more appropriate construction would be for an "Emergent Bible" to appear fully formed, printed and bound, without any human interaction? That's mythical, not emergent.

No, it would gradually come together out of the work of many individuals, in such a way that you could not predict that the Emergent Bible was occurring by looking at affairs at the level of the individual, only by looking at the societal or cultural level.

Who says it hasn't come together out of the work of many individuals? I'm not working in a vacuum here.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jesus Christ, 2000 years ago

Can you please quit telling people what MY religion posits and doesn't posit? PLEASE?

It's deja vu all over again!   :lol:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 10:19:34 PM

Can you please quit telling people what MY religion posits and doesn't posit? PLEASE?

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 10:21:42 PM

My only mistake last page was assuming it would take 300 years for this to happen.  :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 10:23:13 PM

My only mistake last page was assuming it would take 300 years for this to happen.  :lulz:

To be fair, it IS fictionpuss.

MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEMEMEME MEME MEME MEME

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 10:17:17 PM
The position I wish to take is that "I'm making a religion based on Emergence" is contrary to the spirit of Emergence, in that it posits an independent self that is acting on the world to construct a religion.
No, it posits that we are not independent selves, but pawns of emergence. As all religions are constructed, I'm not sure how else you expect a religion to come into existence.

Are you suggesting a more appropriate construction would be for an "Emergent Bible" to appear fully formed, printed and bound, without any human interaction? That's mythical, not emergent.

Can you please quit telling people what MY religion posits and doesn't posit? PLEASE? Nowhere did I say anything about "not independent selves" or of being pawns of anything. You're putting words in my mouth.
Fine! Then I'm making an offshoot religion based upon your religion based upon emergence. Religious Schism FTW.

:jihaad:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 10:25:10 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 10:23:13 PM

To be fair, it IS fictionpuss.

MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEMEMEME MEME MEME MEME MEME MEMEMEME MEME MEME MEME

And Anton.  Either one could be the next Paul of Tarsus.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 10:25:47 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 10:17:17 PM

Can you please quit telling people what MY religion posits and doesn't posit? PLEASE? Nowhere did I say anything about "not independent selves" or of being pawns of anything. You're putting words in my mouth.
Fine! Then I'm making an offshoot religion based upon your religion based upon emergence. Religious Schism FTW.

Sounds like we need an inquisition to put a stop to these heretical offshoots.

Brotep

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anton on September 01, 2009, 10:27:28 PM
I laugh at your emergent inquisition.

You'll be laughing out the other side of your neck, heretic.

Remember the Gnostics?  Neither do I.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 01, 2009, 10:29:14 PM

Precisely - inquisitions were the brainchild of the heretical offshoots.

Kai

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 10:25:47 PM

Okay. Except everything I've written about Sustaining is copyright. Where reference to previous sources is due, I have given it. That means you can't use The Process of Sustaining, The Progenitor, or Emergence as the creative metaforce without my permission.

Good luck trying to come up with different material as coherent, whole and fulfilling as mine.

Kai,

Knows Jesus wishes he had copyright.

Brotep

Ha!  I will launch an attack upon the Orthodoxy with an army of Jeff Goldblum clones before it has its emergent pants on!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 01, 2009, 10:32:03 PM

Precisely - inquisitions were the brainchild of the heretical offshoots.

WTF?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 01, 2009, 10:34:47 PM
Knows Jesus wishes he had copyright.

History class would have been boring, though.