News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

I'm making a religion based on Emergence.

Started by Kai, July 04, 2009, 04:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 21, 2009, 06:57:47 PM
Without delving too deeply into the text (sorry Kai.  I swear it's in the queue), I understand it to be that if a large amount of one-process "things" get together, a new process will spontaneously emerge.

Sort of like the Department of Motor Vehicles?  That's when you smash 300 functionaries into one building, and they spontaneously generate new and largely undocumented processes?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I'm gonna say, "kinda", but since I'm not the expert on this, I'll leave it to Kai to spit his coffee on his keyboard.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 21, 2009, 07:48:16 PM
I'm gonna say, "kinda", but since I'm not the expert on this, I'll leave it to Kai to spit his coffee on his keyboard.

You have to examine these sorts of things.  People like Jesus and James Madison counted on common sense, and we all know the results.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

I just sorta want to let the thread die a quiet death at this point.

I get these ideas sometimes. I bring them here and run with them. People here are good at what they do, which is tearing things apart to see how they work.

Then I walk away with a better understanding of what I was talking about.

Maybe I'll actually get the courage to make an Emergence religion someday.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cramulus

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 22, 2009, 03:51:29 AM

I get these ideas sometimes. I bring them here and run with them. People here are good at what they do, which is tearing things apart to see how they work.

Cowboy up, Kai.  You aren't going to let MONKEYS shove you around, are you?

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 04:34:28 PM

Cowboy up, Kai.  You aren't going to let MONKEYS shove you around, are you?

The monkeys around here are a bit more imposing than the majority of the population.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 22, 2009, 05:27:12 PM

Cowboy up, Kai.  You aren't going to let MONKEYS shove you around, are you?

The monkeys around here are a bit more imposing than the majority of the population.

So what?  It's still just chest thumping.

It's only a bit louder here.

Wake the fuck up.  Their opinions are not your reality.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 05:28:44 PM

This is the correct monkey motorcycle.

We have good and loud opinions here, but they're still just opinions.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Pope Pixie Pickle

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 05:28:44 PM

They aren't. Reality however is that I like it around here, and the more contentious and contradictory I get (or unwillingness to put up with certain "stupid" questions) the more likely someone is to take the piss and then all the bullshit drama starts up.

I have enough drama here in South Carolina to keep me busy.

Oh fuck it. THIS IS WHAT I MENTALLY FAP TO (IE BELIEVE/RELIGION) AND IF YOU GIVE ME SHIT I'LL YOU IN THE NADS. THE /NADS/!  8)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 22, 2009, 11:09:15 PM
Oh fuck it. THIS IS WHAT I MENTALLY FAP TO (IE BELIEVE/RELIGION) AND IF YOU GIVE ME SHIT I'LL YOU IN THE NADS. THE /NADS/!  8)

This.

Criticism is a good thing, in cases like this, because it can point out flaws that you might have missed.

Also, it's good training for your PhD defense, which will make this place look like a veritable paradise.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 11:11:25 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 22, 2009, 11:09:15 PM

This.

Criticism is a good thing, in cases like this, because it can point out flaws that you might have missed.

Also, it's good training for your PhD defense, which will make this place look like a veritable paradise.

Gotta get through my master's defense before I can ever consider a PhD.  :x

Telarus

I've been following this thread, Kai, and I see some real potential in the metaphors you are shaping this belief system out of.

I'd have more to say, but I got fired today for barely missing a sales quota for 2 weeks, so I'm not exactly thinking straight.   :kingmeh:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!