News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Go down

Started by Adios, July 06, 2009, 02:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Standing up.
Why would anyone allow another to dictate their direction?
Why would anyone surrender their personhood to another?
Why would anyone rather exist on their knees instead of living on their feet, even if it means death?
Why would anyone sheepishly follow another without putting their own effort forth to reach an opinion?
Why would anyone give up the opportunity to spit in the devils eye and laugh?
Why?

rubickspoop

fear
apathy
ignorance

some possible reasons
i hope it helps  :wink:
I'm a celebrity... Get me out of here!

MMIX

Hawk the devil wants to know why you think it is so damn funny to spit in his eye when god is a much bigger tit than he ever was . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Kai

Quote from: rubickspoop on July 06, 2009, 09:23:30 AM
fear
apathy
ignorance

some possible reasons
i hope it helps  :wink:

comfort vs discomfort too.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Faust

Love or compassion
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: MMIX on July 06, 2009, 10:16:53 AM
Hawk the devil wants to know why you think it is so damn funny to spit in his eye when god is a much bigger tit than he ever was . .
Barf

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Richter

Quote from: Hawk on July 06, 2009, 02:39:08 AM
Standing up.
Why would anyone surrender their personhood to another?
Why would anyone rather exist on their knees instead of living on their feet, even if it means death?
Why would anyone sheepishly follow another without putting their own effort forth to reach an opinion?
Why would anyone give up the opportunity to spit in the devils eye and laugh?
Why?

As much as it's pleasant to think otherwise, all meatbags are not created equal. 
Worthwhile questions to ask anyone, though. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

Quote from: Hawk on July 06, 2009, 02:39:08 AM

trust in that person

QuoteWhy would anyone surrender their personhood to another?

respect or reverence for the other

QuoteWhy would anyone rather exist on their knees instead of living on their feet, even if it means death?

love of those that would also die

QuoteWhy would anyone sheepishly follow another without putting their own effort forth to reach an opinion?

apathy, lack of confidence

QuoteWhy would anyone give up the opportunity to spit in the devils eye and laugh?

self-preservation

Faust

Quote from: MMIX on July 06, 2009, 04:30:07 PM
Quote from: Faust on July 06, 2009, 02:18:25 PM
Love or compassion

? relevance  . . .

see what cram posted.
basically everything in the first post could be linked to having a kid

Adios

Quote from: Faust on July 06, 2009, 11:33:49 PM
Quote from: MMIX on July 06, 2009, 04:30:07 PM
Quote from: Faust on July 06, 2009, 02:18:25 PM
Love or compassion

? relevance  . . .

see what cram posted.
basically everything in the first post could be linked to having a kid

True enough. Cram must have put some thought into his reply. Dying for someone is much easier than living for them, isn't it?

Faust

Depends on the persons mentality. Just like fetishes there people out there who will go for anything.
Some people feel fulfilled by living for someone else.

Template

Quote from: Faust on July 06, 2009, 11:47:42 PM
Depends on the persons mentality. Just like fetishes there people out there who will go for anything.

It's hard to notice what all is a matter of personal preference or ideology.  The first paragraph of this excerpt that Cain posted elsewhere might help.

Quote from: Cain on July 07, 2009, 10:50:56 AM

Quote from: ZizekFor me, ideology is defined only by how the coordinates of your meaningful experience of the world, and your place within society, relate to the basic tensions and antagonisms of social orders. Which is why for me no attitude is a priori ideological. You can be an extreme materialist, thinking that economic development ultimately determines everything; then you are truly ideological. You can be a fanatical millennialist religious mystic, and you are, in a certain way, not outside of ideology. Your position can be that of perfectly describing the data and nonetheless your point is ideological.

For example, I would like to use the wonderful model of Lacan. Let's say that you are married and you are pathologically jealous, thinking that your wife is sleeping around with other men. And let's say that you are totally right, she is cheating. Lacan says that your jealousy is still pathological. Even if everything is true it is pathological, because what makes it pathological is not the fact that is it true or not true, but why you invest so much in it—what needs does it fulfill? It's the same with the Jews and the Nazis. It is not a question that they attributed false properties to the Jews; the point is why did the Nazis need the figure of the Jew as part of their ideological project?

Adios

Quote from: yhnmzw on July 07, 2009, 04:47:45 PM
Quote from: Faust on July 06, 2009, 11:47:42 PM

It's hard to notice what all is a matter of personal preference or ideology.  The first paragraph of this excerpt that Cain posted elsewhere might help.

Quote from: ZizekFor me, ideology is defined only by how the coordinates of your meaningful experience of the world, and your place within society, relate to the basic tensions and antagonisms of social orders. Which is why for me no attitude is a priori ideological. You can be an extreme materialist, thinking that economic development ultimately determines everything; then you are truly ideological. You can be a fanatical millennialist religious mystic, and you are, in a certain way, not outside of ideology. Your position can be that of perfectly describing the data and nonetheless your point is ideological.

For example, I would like to use the wonderful model of Lacan. Let's say that you are married and you are pathologically jealous, thinking that your wife is sleeping around with other men. And let's say that you are totally right, she is cheating. Lacan says that your jealousy is still pathological. Even if everything is true it is pathological, because what makes it pathological is not the fact that is it true or not true, but why you invest so much in it—what needs does it fulfill? It's the same with the Jews and the Nazis. It is not a question that they attributed false properties to the Jews; the point is why did the Nazis need the figure of the Jew as part of their ideological project?

I need further clarification please.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Hawk on July 10, 2009, 02:24:25 AM

I need further clarification please.
The illusion of "I" seems to take on, at least at some level, the property of self-destructive behaviour patterns which do not directly benefit the individual - actions which make no sense at a surface level reading of evolutionary forces.

It being easier to move forwards than sideways, we have a tendency to assume that we do what we do because on some level, it "is" in our best interests. If our species is very lucky, we will never run out of fresh examples of this fallacy.

The price of liberty (seems to be) eternal vigilance, etc.