News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

I thought it got chilly in here: Fox News turns its back on Sarah Palin

Started by Da6s, July 06, 2009, 06:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: navkat on July 06, 2009, 08:41:47 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 06, 2009, 08:36:42 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 06, 2009, 07:10:36 PM
Yes, but they can't control these people and one day they have to know the fundies will eat them alive.

Happened in Kansas and it'll happen on a national level too.

110 % agree

One of the main problems is they think the fundamentalism of religion will unite the people... what they failed to understand is that much of American fundamentalism is apocalyptic

That's a good way of putting it.
The Republican party is not going to get any more support from the middle until they get it through their heads. This is not about "separation of church and state," it's about "we think your magical beliefs about a guy in the sky telling me I can't marry a girl or take drugs makes you a questionable character for public leadership."

that only works on high voter turn out...
when the fundies are mobilized they have proven they could vote in bulk.
They were never that shit over McCain, and didn't reach the over 80% evangelical vote that they did for bush

But voter turn out goes down.. its all matter of numbers. And one large group giving over 80% for one party maybe just enough
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Template

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 06, 2009, 08:36:42 PM
Yes, but they can't control these people and one day they have to know the fundies will eat them alive.

110 % agree

One of the main problems is they think the fundamentalism of religion will unite the people... what they failed to understand is that much of American fundamentalism is apocalyptic

I really, really wish that sentence ended with a period.  It's just creepy.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Iason Ouabache

A new study showed that the number of Southern Baptists will be less than half what it is now in roughly 40 years. That's a huge chunk of their voting bloc right there. The Republican party will either implode with a whimper or find a way to appeal to Hispanics.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 07, 2009, 02:20:24 AM

A new study showed that the number of Southern Baptists will be less than half what it is now in roughly 40 years. That's a huge chunk of their voting bloc right there. The Republican party will either implode with a whimper or find a way to appeal to Hispanics.

That study is shit.

It assumes that recruitment will stay steady, when anyone old enough to remember the 80s knows these things operate in cycles.

Iason Ouabache

This is what I get for not RTFA.  It was the Southern Baptists themselves that did the study.

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2009/06/25/southern-baptists-and-republicans-old-white-and-in-decline/

QuoteIts research arm LifeWay Research released the following projections this week at the convention's annual meeting in Kentucky:  it said its numbers would fall nearly 50 percent by 2050 "unless the aging and predominantly white denomination reverses a 50-year trend and does more to strengthen evangelism, reach immigrants, and develop a broader ethnic base."

"Using U.S. Census projected population figures, SBC membership could fall from a peak of 6 percent of the American population in the late 1980s to 2 percent in 2050," said LifeWay director Ed Stetzer.

"Using U.S. Census projected population figures, SBC membership could fall from a peak of 6 percent of the American population in the late 1980s to 2 percent in 2050," said LifeWay director Ed Stetzer.

The SBC in 1951 enjoyed robust annual growth of four percent and still had two percent in the early 1970s but in recent years it has been falling about 0.6 percent per year.
    \

Dysnomia

Quote from: Da6s on July 06, 2009, 06:21:50 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 06, 2009, 06:18:36 PM
Well, Da6s, the GOP tolerates no failure.  Well, they do, they just wait 10 years and bring you back (see Gingrich, Newt).

Yeah, I'm just surprised they're already doing this. Despite being a fucking psycho, she has the biggest titssince Reagan.

fixxord for accuracy
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Da6s

That's because 70% of southern baptists will be dead within the next 20 years, along with almost all the other baby boomers.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Da6s on July 07, 2009, 04:34:53 AM

That's because 70% of southern baptists will be dead within the next 20 years, along with almost all the other baby boomers.

Oh, there's no shortage of Baptists in the generation following the boomers (ie, mine). 

Da6s

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 07, 2009, 04:42:24 AM

Oh, there's no shortage of Baptists in the generation following the boomers (ie, mine). 

That's surprising, considering the looney bin of a southern baptist convention church I was "raised" in maintained maybe 3 of the younger members through the years. All the others got smart, or got arrested.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Da6s on July 07, 2009, 04:44:49 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 07, 2009, 04:42:24 AM

That's surprising, considering the looney bin of a southern baptist convention church I was "raised" in maintained maybe 3 of the younger members through the years. All the others got smart, or got arrested.

Illinois breeds the fuckers.  And they stay in the church, and are even more annoying than their parents.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 07, 2009, 04:48:08 AM
Illinois breeds the fuckers.  And they stay in the church, and are even more annoying than their parents.
This is true. I went back to my hometown in Illinois this weekend. The Southern Baptist church there was slowly enveloping an entire city block. Scary stuff.  :scared:
    \