News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Thoughts on a Conversation With NavCat

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 08, 2009, 06:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Nah, she's dead... just like every other spag with a political philosophy is, or will be at some point in their near future. Marx, Jefferson, Tucker, Spooner, Mao, Che, Rand, Hobbes, St. Augustine, Thoreau etc etc etc... all dead.

:fnord:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

It's not rape if he was being OBJECTIVE.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 10, 2009, 04:50:53 PM
Nah, she's dead... just like every other spag with a political philosophy is, or will be at some point in their near future. Marx, Jefferson, Tucker, Spooner, Mao, Che, Rand, Hobbes, St. Augustine, Thoreau etc etc etc... all dead.

:fnord:

The fact that a woman happens to be dead would not stop John Galt.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

navkat

Quote from: LMNO on July 10, 2009, 04:54:35 PM

It's not rape if he gives her a thirty-page lecture before, after and during explaining how his urges justify the end and her resistance is oppressive.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: navkat on July 10, 2009, 08:23:12 PM

It's not rape if he gives her a thirty-page lecture before, after and during explaining how his urges justify the end and her resistance is oppressive.

Damn Straight! Women should know their position as eternal cumbucket for every horny guy!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on July 10, 2009, 08:23:12 PM

It's not rape if he gives her a thirty-page lecture before, after and during explaining how his urges justify the end and her resistance is oppressive. yells "SURPRISE!"

Fixed.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

OK, explanation:

Virtù is about, broadly speaking, the qualities necessary for civic society.  Education is certainly one of these, as LMNO mentioned, but it also involves rewarding civic duty, active participation in society at large.  Alienation is certainly a huge issue, and at least part of this would involve looking at how we live our lives now, mostly isolated and concentrated on work and personal pleasure to the detriment of everything else.

Hegemony is about undermining the existing system.  The entire system.  Major political parties, the minor ineffectual political parties (who through their ineffectiveness prop up the existing system, even while proclaiming themselves to be its enemies), the media, public intellectuals, businessmen etc etc  All are part of an interlocking network bounded within a certain value range, and in a sense that makes them all on one side, albeit one with lots of infighting and factions vying for influence and dominance.

The two are complimentary in many ways, as theorists of hegemony often contend the best way to overcome it is to create a counter-hegemony, one which would be implicit in the idea of cultivating virtu and civic values, as an alternate society which works better, offers more and seems ethically superior to the present one.