News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Google-bombing and AoM in intent propagation

Started by Rococo Modem Basilisk, July 11, 2009, 01:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

An idea I have been playing with (and experimenting with, though with no rigour) for a while is that of using google as a medium for relaying intent.

Google's pagerank, given that it is used constantly by lots of people and that it is trusted to be more or less functional, is in control of a large amount of people's semantic environment -- specifically, the invisible stuff that they assume and don't consider. The outcome of pagerank's machinations is the internet equivalent of the unspoken cultural norms that make, say, Japan different from Britain different from the US.

Pagerank, however, is mutable by more or less invisible processes. It's based on statistics, and the mechanisms are well known. By slightly shifting the meanings of key words and phrases, you can affect the way those key words and phrases are perceived. In theory.

I use a blogger blog for this, linked in my sig, and I generate (mostly) nonsense which is then linked to arbitrary web pages based on a slight semantic shift in the meaning of the linked phrase in its context. The pagerank of the page itself is kept up using blogger's own header/footer feature. The slight semantic shift is, in AoM terminology, both the capsid and the mutagen (the fact that it is slight is the capsid, and the fact that it's a semantic shift is the mutagen).

If anyone has further ideas for experimentation in this method, or wants more info or is willing to try on their own, I would like to hear about it.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

impu

Wouldn't that just lead the user to a search they could spot as incorrect and/or fake?  At most it might screw up some stat whoring nonsense.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: impu on July 11, 2009, 01:14:40 AM
Wouldn't that just lead the user to a search they could spot as incorrect and/or fake?
That would be the case if the semantic shift were not SLIGHT.

QuoteAt most it might screw up some stat whoring nonsense.
The human brain is the most complex stat whore in existence.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.