News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

What has science created?!?

Started by Da6s, July 14, 2009, 05:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Kai

Was the moth able to move and navigate?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Da6s

Quote from: Kai on July 14, 2009, 06:02:54 PM
Was the moth able to move and navigate?

No clue, linked to the page it was on in the quote.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

LMNO

We have an emoticon for "horror" and "mirth" combined.

To we have one for "Awesome" and "Terrible"?

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on July 14, 2009, 07:08:06 PM
We have an emoticon for "horror" and "mirth" combined.

To we have one for "Awesome" and "Terrible"?

:|:1fap:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

LMNO

The delayed reaction of the "fap" made me coffeemonitor.

Kai

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Is this just a remake of the one with the cockroach? It seems like this one involves direct neural connections, to whatever kind of brain a silkworm has.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

They need to install a .50 railgun.

LMNO

Because scientists read comics, too.

[insert pic of attacking monkey from "The Filth" here]

Kai

More likely, that anyone trying to publish such an experiment wouldn't get published, because most scientists would see it as grotesque.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Kai on July 14, 2009, 09:52:35 PM
More likely, that anyone trying to publish such an experiment wouldn't get published, because most scientists would see it as grotesque.

So giving a monkey state of the art prosthesis rates as sicker than giving a dog two heads?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Kai

Quote from: Enki-][ on July 14, 2009, 10:23:11 PM
Quote from: Kai on July 14, 2009, 09:52:35 PM

So giving a monkey state of the art prosthesis rates as sicker than giving a dog two heads?

This isn't a prosthesis. This is sticking a head of an organism torn open onto a metal device with neural probes stuck in to run a short term experiment from which the subject won't survive. Insects, they don't have as much problem with, because they can pass them off as not feeling pain or whatever. I'm sure the monkey would be in a hell of a lot of fucking pain. Its vivisection, basically.

And apparently, if WWII is any meter, a hell of a lot of people have problems with vivisection on humans and other primates.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I was half-kidding. However, the monkey-head-on-a-robot would have some minimal level of mobility. I'm comparing that to the russian dude who transplanted and grafted dog's heads -- which of course ended up with the dogs being totally paralyzed since he couldn't reconnect the spine. The work is probably comparable in that where the transplant of dog's heads led to advances in life support systems, the transplanting of animal heads onto robots and the use of nerves in connecting these things would probably lead to advances in brain control of prostheses, perhaps allowing people who are fully paralyzed to eventually have some better level of mobility than those BCI wheelchairs that are state of the art right now. There have been experiments with monkeys and neurally controlled arms, so it's not as though it would be like doing it with absolutely no idea how to wire things up.

Your point stands, though, that  transplanting a monkey head onto a robot is irreversible -- however, there are similar things that have been done that have been accepted, not because they weren't sick as hell, but because they were terribly useful. So I would argue that if someone successfully gave a monkey a prosthetic body, it would probably be published eventually.

That is a world away from giving a monkey head power over a wheelchair, but they have already given monkeys neurally controlled prosthetic arms and so on. I can't imagine there is much to do with a silk worm.

Faust

apart from the monkey in the filth Grant also did a really nice little story called WE3 were weaponised animals are used instead of riot police etc
Sleepless nights at the chateau