News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

reality and all that

Started by matthewsquires, July 17, 2009, 09:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 20, 2009, 10:31:00 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 20, 2009, 10:25:09 PM
Quote from: fomenter on July 20, 2009, 10:23:24 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 20, 2009, 10:14:40 PM
Quote from: Kai on July 20, 2009, 09:53:35 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 20, 2009, 09:49:23 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 20, 2009, 09:47:22 PM
statistics =/= current memes
Then show your statistics and how they are disassociated from current memes, or you have no argument.

The way you use language shows you have absolutely no fucking clue what you are talking about outside your own head.

basically formentor made a a statement where he said he suspected the statistics went one way (a statement I don't agree with) and fictionprick counter with some meme crap... and he just can't understand these are not the same.

i went looking to see if i could find stats or this before i spoke but every pitch Artist selling a quit method claims to be the most successful and i couldn't be bothered to figure out how to eliminate the millions of sales offers from the search..
fiction feline does seem confused or unable to communicate what he means i am not sure which yet.

he could have caught a bad case of DK fever... that shit is contagious
Is this paranoia on a wiki somewhere? What is a DK?

Look - statistics describe a very narrow view of reality. Trying to take into account both statistics and the memes which support them looks to be a superset, but even so, not necessarily correct - and definitely open to more than one interpretation. I gave you my interpretation based upon my _personal_ experiences.

Why does this have to be more than it is?

A) You're new
B) You pushed some memes that have recently become old and funky (happenstance)
C) This is PD.com, welcome to it.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Quote from: matthewsquires on July 20, 2009, 09:57:14 PM
Quote from: matthewsquires on July 20, 2009, 10:46:32 AM

When one constructs a philosophy, he or she is making up a theory of how the universe works, and logical conclusions are mental tools that enable theories to work.  If we didn't have mental theories we wouldn't be able to cope in an objective universe. As subjective-feeling creatures we are forced to theorize about "how we fit into the big picture" in order to operate objectively.  There is no internal essence of things outside of what we give them, but because we give them meaning, they have meaning.  This does not depreciate the value of these objects.   They are important because we have the power to make them important, and it just happens that one of the theories we like to believe in is that objects must be valuable in-them-of-themselves in order for them to be authentically valuable.  The only reason this value-system seems necessary to us is because it was logically concluded to after theorizing about how we fit into the world.  It is like living in a world where everyone sees the color green differently.  We then all agree to label it as the word green.  So we can agree on it but that doesn't make us see the same thing.  If we say that it looks the same for everyone, we're obviously speculating.  But let's say the taste of oranges brought joy to everyone, but everyone's actual experience of the taste was different.  Like we were programmed to taste goodness so that we could keep eating it, but the actual experience of what joyfulness was, was up to everyone's imaginations after absorbing the stimuli.  Well does this mean the enjoyment is gone.  As long as your saying it's a joyful experience, you will experience joy.  So as long as you say that life is meaningful, you will experience meaning in the same way.  Life is life.  It doesn't have meaning or a lack of meaning.  We create that.  So to be bothered by this fact is like setting up a machine that has artificial intelligence and telling it to be unhappy. 

To conclude that there is a god is just as much a theory as concluding that there is no god.  Neither has more going for it or against it.  The world working according to laws means that the world works according to laws.  It does not mean there is no god, or there is a god.  Take your best guess, but you do not know either way.  Belief is different then religion.  You can belong to a church and not believe in god, and you can believe in god and not go to church.  When we choose to believe in god, we then create an image of him in our likeness.  We make him reward and punish whatever our culture happens to tell us that he rewards and punishes.  So we imagine god seeing murder bad, and that becomes one of the things he told us in the ten commandments, Over-active imaginations lead to crusades and things like that. 

Does anybody have thoughts on that.  I'm sure it's been talked about before, but it was the first time I thought it, i guess, I'm curious to see if people wanna build off that.  Like life being an onject that we experience subjectively.

You had me (and were pretty well on) up until "oranges tasting of joy".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 20, 2009, 10:44:51 PM
A) You're new
B) You pushed some memes that have recently become old and funky (happenstance)
C) This is PD.com, welcome to it.
Ah - thanks. Yeah, I'm not whining - I'm here because I'm not able to call myself out on my bullshit concepts as... efficiently... as this group can.

Cramulus

i went looking to see if i could find stats for this before i spoke, but every pitch Artist selling a quit method claims to be the most successful and i couldn't be bothered to figure out how to eliminate the millions of sales offers from the search..

Advanced Search tip: Put a -minus before a word to exclude it from search results. "-.com" cuts out most of the fat from info searches. If there's a topic that's confounding your results, -minus that too.

/off topic

Cain

For instance http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=cramulus+-moustache&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq= finds me a picture of Cram without his moustache, thus rendering his mystical powers useless and making him vulnnerable to being killed.

Payne

fomenter

Quote from: Cramulus on July 21, 2009, 02:35:34 AM
i went looking to see if i could find stats for this before i spoke, but every pitch Artist selling a quit method claims to be the most successful and i couldn't be bothered to figure out how to eliminate the millions of sales offers from the search..

Advanced Search tip: Put a -minus before a word to exclude it from search results. "-.com" cuts out most of the fat from info searches. If there's a topic that's confounding your results, -minus that too.

/off topic

good to know i didn't find any good stats, but cram w/o mustache  the info has paid for itself already....
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

matthewsquires

Quote from: Kai on July 20, 2009, 11:25:23 PM

When one constructs a philosophy, he or she is making up a theory of how the universe works, and logical conclusions are mental tools that enable theories to work.  If we didn't have mental theories we wouldn't be able to cope in an objective universe. As subjective-feeling creatures we are forced to theorize about "how we fit into the big picture" in order to operate objectively.  There is no internal essence of things outside of what we give them, but because we give them meaning, they have meaning.  This does not depreciate the value of these objects.   They are important because we have the power to make them important, and it just happens that one of the theories we like to believe in is that objects must be valuable in-them-of-themselves in order for them to be authentically valuable.  The only reason this value-system seems necessary to us is because it was logically concluded to after theorizing about how we fit into the world.  It is like living in a world where everyone sees the color green differently.  We then all agree to label it as the word green.  So we can agree on it but that doesn't make us see the same thing.  If we say that it looks the same for everyone, we're obviously speculating.  But let's say the taste of oranges brought joy to everyone, but everyone's actual experience of the taste was different.  Like we were programmed to taste goodness so that we could keep eating it, but the actual experience of what joyfulness was, was up to everyone's imaginations after absorbing the stimuli.  Well does this mean the enjoyment is gone.  As long as your saying it's a joyful experience, you will experience joy.  So as long as you say that life is meaningful, you will experience meaning in the same way.  Life is life.  It doesn't have meaning or a lack of meaning.  We create that.  So to be bothered by this fact is like setting up a machine that has artificial intelligence and telling it to be unhappy. 

To conclude that there is a god is just as much a theory as concluding that there is no god.  Neither has more going for it or against it.  The world working according to laws means that the world works according to laws.  It does not mean there is no god, or there is a god.  Take your best guess, but you do not know either way.  Belief is different then religion.  You can belong to a church and not believe in god, and you can believe in god and not go to church.  When we choose to believe in god, we then create an image of him in our likeness.  We make him reward and punish whatever our culture happens to tell us that he rewards and punishes.  So we imagine god seeing murder bad, and that becomes one of the things he told us in the ten commandments, Over-active imaginations lead to crusades and things like that. 

Does anybody have thoughts on that.  I'm sure it's been talked about before, but it was the first time I thought it, i guess, I'm curious to see if people wanna build off that.  Like life being an onject that we experience subjectively.

You had me (and were pretty well on) up until "oranges tasting of joy".

ehy does the oranges part throwe you off?

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Cain on July 21, 2009, 02:39:39 AM
For instance http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=cramulus+-moustache&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq= finds me a picture of Cram without his moustache, thus rendering his mystical powers useless and making him vulnnerable to being killed.

Im not clicking that out of fear that seeing this would cause the walls of my reality to come crumbling down
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cramulus

sorry to threadjack again, but did you see this on the results for that cram -moustache search?

http://accessing-website-in-progress.info/omgasm.com/   :?

Payne

Quote from: Cramulus on July 21, 2009, 01:08:17 PM
sorry to threadjack again, but did you see this on the results for that cram -moustache search?

http://accessing-website-in-progress.info/omgasm.com/   :?

My bet is TazerKitten.

LMNO

The first paragraph seems disjointed.  "There is no internal essence of things outside of what we give them, but because we give them meaning, they have meaning" seems to conflate a few separate ideas with a flash of solipsism.

The second paragraph creates an "either/or" system, and then chooses door C.  "When we choose to believe in god, we then create an image of him in our likeness" doesn't explain all the non-human gods mankind has belived in.

matthewsquires

The first paragraph seems disjointed.  "There is no internal essence of things outside of what we give them, but because we give them meaning, they have meaning" seems to conflate a few separate ideas with a flash of solipsism.

The second paragraph creates an "either/or" system, and then chooses door C.  "When we choose to believe in god, we then create an image of him in our likeness" doesn't explain all the non-human gods mankind has belived in.

Objects don't have any meaning beyond what we give them.  A knife, for example, could be used to cut things if I gave it that purpose.  But i could also look into it in order to see my reflection, and suddenly it's purpose has changed.  If I view life as an object also, then just because the meaning isn't intrinsic, it doesn't mean it's not functioning if I allow it to.  So that's what I was saying with the first paragraph, if it's similar to other philosophies, it wasn't entirely intentional.

In the second paragraph, I'm saying that if we choose to believe in god, we then develop an idea about it.  We never know god, only our ideas about god.  and those ideas develop according to what we're taught, or even what we reject. 

Captain Utopia

Quote from: matthewsquires on July 22, 2009, 09:30:01 PM
In the second paragraph, I'm saying that if we choose to believe in god, we then develop an idea about it.  We never know god, only our ideas about god.  and those ideas develop according to what we're taught, or even what we reject. 
So what should we do about it in the here and now?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 22, 2009, 09:45:02 PM
Quote from: matthewsquires on July 22, 2009, 09:30:01 PM
So what should we do about it in the here and now?

Partake joyously of a hot dog and commune
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson