News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

FWD: Testing

Started by Captain Utopia, July 17, 2009, 04:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 17, 2009, 05:54:04 PM
Yeah, sorry man, that's pretty old news. I think it's one of those games the phys ed teacher had us play in 6th grade.
Then can you tell me the punchline - why it works the way it does? It's a two part question I ask, the first being the initial post, but I can't ask the second without invalidating your answers to the first.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 17, 2009, 05:58:18 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on July 17, 2009, 05:56:46 PM
Give the kid a break, Nigel.  she's probably just now in 6th grade....
Illuminatus! is on the 6th grade reading list, isn't it?

I'm rereading it and it's a lot less interesting now that I'm not in high school any more.

I'm thinking it's not age, or your lack of enrollment in high school that makes it less interesting.  You've just internalized all the exciting novelty that it offered you the first time.  you need new taboos and wrecking balls...
incidentally, are you joining in on the PD book club thang, Badge?

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Elder Iptuous

the book club thing....
we're reading 'Poker without Cards' right now, and then we will discuss over tea and crumpets....

also, when are you gonna change your name back since that other, less desirable, badger fellow is gone?

BADGE OF HONOR

Finding a copy of Poker Without Cards = effort.  And I like this name.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Iptuous on July 17, 2009, 06:10:39 PM
the book club thing....
we're reading 'Poker without Cards' right now, and then we will discuss over tea and crumpets....

also, when are you gonna change your name back since that other, less desirable, badger fellow is gone?

SHIT! I want crumpets and tea!
But if it means reading.... well.....

maybe.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 17, 2009, 06:12:19 PM
Finding a copy of Poker Without Cards = effort.  And I like this name.

there's a link-o to a pdf in the thread....
i think that's going to be a requirement for any book we choose, that it be available in pdf for all to read....

Captain Utopia

Is there _anyone_ on this board with enough intellectual curiousity to try the experiment?

Payne

There are plenty of people on this board with enough intellectual curiosity for this. In fact, mostly they have so much more intellectual curiosity than is required that they're off doing something else more interesting to satisfy it.

If I were you, I'd just let this go.

AFK

Why does it take intellectual curiousity?  Our human bodies have lots of weird quirks to them, this appears to be one of them, though, with a bit of concentration, I'm able to do it.  So why don't you give us your take on this little bit of motor-skill quirkery?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 17, 2009, 06:57:14 PM
Is there _anyone_ on this board with enough intellectual curiousity to try the experiment?

What makes you think we haven't.... in 6th grade? (as previously mentioned)
Pick a real brain teaser and try again.

trippinprincezz13

Yea, just kinda reminds me of the " try pat your head while rubbing your stomach" thing which I'm pretty sure parents and/or teachers introduced us to in early grammar school or so.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I'm with trippinprincezz... this is making use of the same neurological quirks that the pat your head/rub your tummy trick uses...

Our brains have a hard enough time getting through the day without intentionally trying to get them to send opposite commands to two different extremities at once. You can do this with legs only, hands only, a mix of the two etc. Out of all the ways to confuse your own neurological system this is a pretty simple one.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 17, 2009, 07:06:57 PM
Why does it take intellectual curiousity?  Our human bodies have lots of weird quirks to them, this appears to be one of them, though, with a bit of concentration, I'm able to do it.  So why don't you give us your take on this little bit of motor-skill quirkery?
Thank you. And sorry (forum) for the intellectual curiusity/kick to the balls. Especially to those members who have no balls. You kinda broke the spell with the "bit of concentration" line. It's not a motor-skill issue - it's just a mind-fuck - literally.

It has a whole bunch of manipulative elements: the comic sans font (I'm not threatening), it came from a doctor (appeal to authority fallacy), repetition that you won't be able to do it - "there's nothing you can do about it" (power of suggestion), "how smart is your right foot" - repeated (encouraging separation of consciousness), the author professes they can't do it either (follow-the-leader).

Question - is it likely all these elements came together by accident? If not - who has an interest in monitoring the collective suggestibility of the populace with forwards like these?

If you're still having trouble doing the simple exercise, just repeat "I am not a robot" a few times, and understanding that all talk of the "difficulty" is an intentionally made-up lie, you'll have no trouble doing it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 17, 2009, 07:28:24 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 17, 2009, 07:06:57 PM
Thank you. And sorry (forum) for the intellectual curiusity/kick to the balls. Especially to those members who have no balls. You kinda broke the spell with the "bit of concentration" line. It's not a motor-skill issue - it's just a mind-fuck - literally.

It has a whole bunch of manipulative elements: the comic sans font (I'm not threatening), it came from a doctor (appeal to authority fallacy), repetition that you won't be able to do it - "there's nothing you can do about it" (power of suggestion), "how smart is your right foot" - repeated (encouraging separation of consciousness), the author professes they can't do it either (follow-the-leader).

Question - is it likely all these elements came together by accident? If not - who has an interest in monitoring the collective suggestibility of the populace with forwards like these?

If you're still having trouble doing the simple exercise, just repeat "I am not a robot" a few times, and understanding that all talk of the "difficulty" is an intentionally made-up lie, you'll have no trouble doing it.

It's like memetic magic, done poorly with failsauce applied liberally to the top.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson