News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

FWD: Testing

Started by Captain Utopia, July 17, 2009, 04:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 17, 2009, 09:35:20 PM
If you're trolling it's one of the best trolls ever, nothing pisses off people more than deliberate stupidity.
True!

I'm not discounting the possibility that I'm being stupid. I don't see it yet though :-/

Not that I necessarily would of my own accord. But seems like a loop of infinite recursion. I try to avoid those.

BADGE OF HONOR

Hey take some time off from trying to prove yourself right and read this instead.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Captain Utopia

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on July 17, 2009, 09:40:26 PM
Do you think those chain e-mails that warn you that YOU'D BETTER FORWARD THIS OR SOMETHING REALLY BAD FOR REALS WILL HAPPEN CUZ MY FRIEND DELETED IT AND HE GOT HIT BY A TRAIN! are hypnosis too?  
No. Yes. In a way they are a low-level form of suggestion which works on particularly suggestible people. Maybe hypnosis is too strong/loaded a word. Mind-virus?

The mention of an orthopaedic surgeon is a bit of an appeal to authority but....so? It reads like a childhood dare (betcha can't do this!) with a reference to a doctor to make it more of a challenge (a doctor says it's impossible? - or whatever the OP said - I'll show him!!). Doesn't read like hypnosis to me and really not any different than if someone asked you in person to do it. At most it's a challenge and introduction to a quirky bodily reaction.
It's only a bodily reaction if we don't allow ourselves to bring it under our conscious control.

If you allow yourself to believe me then you will find that you can do the circle and the six with or without concentration, and you will have escaped that particular program.

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on July 17, 2009, 09:14:27 PM
By the way, did you see the wicked cool picture I posted above?
I get your sarcasm. It wasn't terribly subtle. :-)
:thumb: AWESOME!!!! Also, I just hypnotized you with my words to make you think I was being sarcastic. I was actually being super-srs.
That possibility occurred to me too. The interpretation rested upon whether you had vastly more insight on this matter than I. Since you haven't demonstrated such, I assumed the former. Which, as you suggest, you only have yourself to thank for.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 17, 2009, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 17, 2009, 09:18:22 PM
I see it like this:

You make post about phenomena.
Several of us say "Been there, Done that in school"
You say "NO IT'S HYPNOSIS"
We say, Uhhh.... probably not, why are you still harping on this"
You say "Cause its Hypnosis, cause it worked on me!"
etc...

It might appear as hypnosis to you... but having studied hypnosis, it doesn't seem like it to me (and possibly others posting here).

I think you'd need to make a much stronger case for this to go beyond a gainsaying thread of "Yes it 'tis, No it tisn't,"
Not one respondent has contradicted, or even addressed the case that I've already made. That would be a pre-requisite for a stronger case.

You are making the assumption that the things you're seeing in the email are there... Most of us, seem to think you're applying the Law of Fives to the email. So I'd say you would first need to explain why these lines in an email are hyponotic, rather than fluff that you percveived as hyponotic...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 17, 2009, 09:55:45 PM
You are making the assumption that the things you're seeing in the email are there... Most of us, seem to think you're applying the Law of Fives to the email. So I'd say you would first need to explain why these lines in an email are hyponotic, rather than fluff that you percveived as hyponotic...
I'm not sure I understand the distinction to your challenge. I think I'll take Badge of Honour's advice and read and ponder for a bit. Thanks everyone for your patience!

Cain

I think my IQ just dropped below room temperature thanks to reading this thread.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Captain Utopia

Aww, that's not very nice. But very well done. Even if you still completely misunderstand my intent. I think I'm going to like it here. *stretches and yawn*

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Sir Squid Diddimus

and can I shit in it for you?

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 18, 2009, 05:09:41 AM
Aww, that's not very nice. But very well done. Even if you still completely misunderstand my intent. I think I'm going to like it here. *stretches and yawn*

Stop being an insufferable stuffed shirt.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

the last yatto

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

it's not hypnosis. i dunno what you think you were trying to prove with the museumofhoaxes link, I suppose it's about the comments (cause the article just quotes a variation on your OP).

what I get from those comments is, that it's a question of motor skills and not belief. some of the people in those comments could do it right away, some couldnt even make a circle with their foot without moving their hand. the rest falling in between could with some concentration, pull it off or still fail.

i don't think it has anything to do with the supposed suggestive language you see in your picture.

so far the only evidence you've given it might be based on hypnosis is that 1) you think this is an extreme case of suggestive writing 2) you couldnt do it at first but as soon as you believed it was because the writing hypnosed you, you could do it.

problem is, you seem to be the only person with this experience.

so, you might say "guys I managed to hypnotize myself with this chain letter I received from the email", but we will still reply with :|

btw a fun thing to try for you would be, if it's really hypnosis (for you), you should be able to reverse it as well. believe it's really real and you can't circle your foot while making a 6 with your hand. go ahead, try it! it should be interesting! but please, don't feel the need to keep us informed about it, really, we dont care.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.