News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

FWD: Testing

Started by Captain Utopia, July 17, 2009, 04:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 18, 2009, 06:53:03 AM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 18, 2009, 05:09:41 AM
Aww, that's not very nice. But very well done. Even if you still completely misunderstand my intent. I think I'm going to like it here. *stretches and yawn*

Stop being an insufferable stuffed shirt.
Or - how about I _be_ how I want to be - which includes, but is not limited to, not trying to dominate others with non-constructive put-downs and other forms of forum-wank? If that's how you get your kicks - fair enough. If it's not how you get your kicks, then why the fuck are you engaging in it?

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Squid on July 18, 2009, 05:57:55 AM
and can I shit in it for you?
See, that's funny. But I can't see what function it serves other than suggest quite plainly that you're happy being part of the mob-mind. The monkey-mob says the n00b hasn't been kicked enough, and you supply the foot. Well done. You should feel proud.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 18, 2009, 10:31:03 AM
it's not hypnosis. i dunno what you think you were trying to prove with the museumofhoaxes link, I suppose it's about the comments (cause the article just quotes a variation on your OP).

what I get from those comments is, that it's a question of motor skills and not belief. some of the people in those comments could do it right away, some couldnt even make a circle with their foot without moving their hand. the rest falling in between could with some concentration, pull it off or still fail.

i don't think it has anything to do with the supposed suggestive language you see in your picture.

so far the only evidence you've given it might be based on hypnosis is that 1) you think this is an extreme case of suggestive writing 2) you couldnt do it at first but as soon as you believed it was because the writing hypnosed you, you could do it.

problem is, you seem to be the only person with this experience.

so, you might say "guys I managed to hypnotize myself with this chain letter I received from the email", but we will still reply with :|

btw a fun thing to try for you would be, if it's really hypnosis (for you), you should be able to reverse it as well. believe it's really real and you can't circle your foot while making a 6 with your hand. go ahead, try it! it should be interesting! but please, don't feel the need to keep us informed about it, really, we dont care.
Finally, an explanation. Thankyou Triple Zero, for your explanation. I don't think I would be the only person with this experience if I had presented it better. However, it does seem that appearing in the way I did has left an indelible first impression which no-one here can get themselves over - half the respondents seem to have concluded I was female with no prompting from myself - yet the general I-know-it-all mindset remains evident. If you can't get over that, then you certainly won't be able to get over the power-of-suggestion contained in the OP - you make it clear that the status-quo is to be desired - the elders decree it's physiological rather than psychological and no independent experimentation to contradict that occurs - fine, I'll let it drop for now.

Cramulus

Friends, neighbors,

if you spend any more time discussing this e-mail chain letter,

you have been trolled

newbie/troll: your style is too oppositional and the wounded newcomer bit is played out.  It was a good gambit though! Go make another one and try again.  :lulz:

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Cramulus on July 18, 2009, 01:24:37 PM
newbie/troll: your style is too oppositional and the wounded newcomer bit is played out.  It was a good gambit though! Go make another one and try again.  :lulz:
I have no interest in trolling, for the most part I find it childish. If I did, I almost certainly wouldn't have the balls to try it in this court. And I almost certainly wouldn't do it in such a traceable manner, which could be used to inflict a thousand-times more pain on myself than my ham-fisted introduction may have caused others. From that you can extract my real name and address with less effort than it takes to scratch your ass. I'm genuine when I say I had something I thought might be of interest. I'm also genuine when I criticise the closed-mind group-think on this board as being part of the problem. My own innumerable flaws aside, of course.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quickly!  What's your opinion on Cartesian duality?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 18, 2009, 01:11:28 PM
See, that's funny. But I can't see what function it serves other than suggest quite plainly that you're happy being part of the mob-mind. The monkey-mob says the n00b hasn't been kicked enough, and you supply the foot. Well done. You should feel proud.

Fuck, I just like shitting in coffee. So suck it.

And LOL Badge

Captain Utopia

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on July 18, 2009, 04:42:02 PM
Quickly!  What's your opinion on Cartesian duality?
Um, both of your maps are nice? What's the hurry? If the test requires that I be at my keyboard all day, then I've already failed. If the test requires that I know the terms for specific concepts, then I've already failed. If the test is intended to show such a deficiency in my thinking, then I've failed already without effort on my part.

But in general, and after some unabashed googling, I am not awed by Descartes' constructs. Just because the mind _could_ be immaterial, does not make it so. The model does not inform the universe, and in the same sense, thinking is no proof of thought. All that really says is "I think therefore I think I am".

Despite some quite convincing conclusions that I came here to troll (and in the same sense, trolling is no proof of trollhood), my intent was and remains some form of illumination. If you can explain your insight, I would be most grateful.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 18, 2009, 01:36:31 PM

I have no interest in trolling, for the most part I find it childish.

Then this isn't gonna be your crowd.   :lulz:

I'm also genuine when I criticise the closed-mind group-think on this board as being part of the problem. My own innumerable flaws aside, of course.

Yeah, well, it works for us.  We don't particularly care what you think or want.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Squid on July 18, 2009, 05:50:38 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 18, 2009, 01:11:28 PM

Fuck, I just like shitting in coffee. So suck it.
I'm guessing that you find that line more convincing than I do.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 18, 2009, 05:59:17 PM

I didn't say that it was without utility.

I'm also genuine when I criticise the closed-mind group-think on this board as being part of the problem. My own innumerable flaws aside, of course.

Yeah, well, it works for us.  We don't particularly care what you think or want.
Then with all due respect, we have that in common. I'm not writing for you, I'm writing for the mind that is capable of taking leaps of independent thought and practising it often. Was the crowd completely right in their opinions about Hitler? Oh wait, I see what I did there. Thread over everyone!

fomenter

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 18, 2009, 06:05:36 PM

Then with all due respect, we have that in common. I'm not writing for you, I'm writing for the mind that is capable of taking leaps of independent thought and practising it often. Was the crowd completely right in their opinions about Hitler? Oh wait, I see what I did there. Thread over everyone!

he has seen the hive mind "oh noes" everybody run !!!!!!
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

The Good Reverend Roger

Trolling is not a tool, it is its own end.

Yes, I have no independent thought.  All of my ideas are beamed directly into my head by Iason, then I use my nefarious mind control rays to make everyone else here think the same way.  No, really.  We're like a hive, only without the honey.

Sorry we don't meet up with your high standards of "writing", ie, posting stupid fucking email forwards.

:whack:

But, please, hang around and try to prove to us how smart/wise/right you are.  We're not going to use it to pummel you like a NASCAR wife.  No, really.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Thurnez Isa

This shit got old 2 years ago
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on July 18, 2009, 06:20:52 PM
This shit got old 2 years ago

This shit NEVER gets old.  It's lkke having sacrificial victims line up outside my door.

BLOOD FOR THE RAIN GOD!
\