Beautiful example of the Law of Fives in action

Started by Triple Zero, July 25, 2009, 06:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Kai on July 26, 2009, 11:51:49 PM
Quote from: forgetfulmari on July 26, 2009, 10:31:17 PM
Quote from: Kai on July 25, 2009, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 25, 2009, 08:57:15 PM
Oh it doesn't bother me, no. In fact I noticed the rough similarity to the 7 day creation story and general evolutionary timeline myself as well, long time ago.

However the way the stuff they gloss over when it doesn't work is almost as big as the "incredible coincidences" they tout when it does happen to coincide, it's exactly what I said, beautiful example of the Lo5 in action :-)

The catholics have actually been running the "Genesis is a metaphor" idea for years now. I remember being taught about punctuated equilibrium in sunday school (CCD, for those of you who recognize that term), no joke. The catholics actually aren't that bad anymore when it comes to science and social justice. There's just a few things they hang onto, like abortion, homosexuality and stem cell research; and believe it or not, they don't talk about these things much, if ever. Whereas you might hear all about the deadliness of sin and "you're all going to hell" and "repent" in other churches, the mass is three readings from old testament, new testament and the gospel, a generally kind and gentle homily from the priest or deacon, some prayer chanting, singing (hyms and psalms and responses) and a rather nice and powerful retelling of the last supper and sharing of a meal.

I don't know why I said all that really; sum it up, catholics aren't all that bad.

I wouldn't call it "hanging on" to abortion, as much as "perhaps the best organized global pro-life group."  Stem cell research and homosexuality are a lot more tolerated in the "new guard" of younger people growing up now, though.  The thing about the Catholic church is that even though it seems small in America, it's huge worldwide, and there are loads of opposing factions within the church.  My old Jesuit high school used to get protested by other Catholics over having pro-tolerance of homosexuality speakers and such.  They have to walk a fine line between creating a respectful, nurturing atmosphere (especially at an all guys school) while also not directly (or at least publicly) going against higher-ups in another continent.  They pulled the (inter?)National Day of Silence from the calender of school events a while back to head off a public kerfuffle, but the students still do it anyway with the tacit approval of the staff.

ETA: Yes, the Catholics have been pushing the metaphorical interpretation of Genesis, but still like to see evolution as something that pulls humans towards the divine heaven-on-earth thing.  See Omega point.

Yeah, the Jesuits seem cool. So do the Franciscans. Every religion has a mystic, forward looking branch.

Jesuits are generally a bunch with lots of questions, right? I bet Vatican City has a handful trying to keep them in line.

At one point the Vatican actually disbanded the Jesuits, although I think that was more due to international politics.  The Jesuits had their own share of scandals, though - a Jesuit missionary to India had the temerity to dress with and eat like the Brahmin caste, learn Sanskrit, study the Vedas, and even produce a theological commentary on them in Tamil.  (incidentally, also being the first European ever to seriously study the Vedas, much less write theology about them.)  There was a line in the Society's rules that its members were to wear the priestly attire of the local area - intended to to refer to the ways different European priests and monks dressed.  de Nobili shaved his head and put on a red robe, complete with the triple cotton thread of the Brahmin, and took on the diet and most of the lifestyle of a Sannyasi.  He avoided the Inquisition only because the Inquisition decided they didn't have the authority to inquisite into a matter that was already the subject of a Papal investigation.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Kai

Okay, that is AWESOME.

Kai,

Needs to get to know some Jesuits.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish