News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

ATTN Geopolitics geeks

Started by Cain, July 26, 2009, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Asia Times' Pepe Escobar has a new book out.

And its been released under a creative commons licence.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13670230/Pepe-Escobar-Globalistan

Elder Iptuous

Cain

Apologies, this isn't his latest book, but his previous one.  Still worth reading though.

Elder Iptuous

So a quick search for his latest "Obama does Globalistan" + "creative commons" didn't immediately turn anything up....
i wonder if he perceived it as biting his sales excessively?

Cain

Maybe.  Or he might have only released this Creative Commons version once sales of the hard copy dropped off.  I know a few artists and authors who do that, which is pretty cool of them.

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on July 27, 2009, 05:49:32 PM
Maybe.  Or he might have only released this Creative Commons version once sales of the hard copy dropped off.  I know a few artists and authors who do that, which is pretty cool of them.

Still looks like a worthwhile read even if it is off the boil as a money maker
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

Any book that references Wallerstein, Bauman, Foucault, Virilio, Giddens, Brzeziński and Trotsky in the first thirty pages is a winner as far as I'm concerned.

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on July 27, 2009, 08:29:10 PM
Any book that references Wallerstein, Bauman, Foucault, Virilio, Giddens, Brzeziński and Trotsky in the first thirty pages is a winner as far as I'm concerned.

be still my beating heart - ex-social theory wonk in another lifetime  :) . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

I wish there had been more social theory when I was studying.  I started to get into Historical Sociology in the final year, but the department was geared mostly towards Realism/Liberalism/Constructivism, and the final one only at the upper levels.  There was a certain...poverty of theoretical thinking which I didn't like.

But given it wasn't a postgrad course, maybe I was expecting too much.

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on July 28, 2009, 12:03:28 PM
I wish there had been more social theory when I was studying.  I started to get into Historical Sociology in the final year, but the department was geared mostly towards Realism/Liberalism/Constructivism, and the final one only at the upper levels.  There was a certain...poverty of theoretical thinking which I didn't like.

But given it wasn't a postgrad course, maybe I was expecting too much.

mutter mutter - rampant grade inflation - bums on seats - edubusiness - aaaagh

my partner just chipped in that theory has become something to frighten people with not the vital structural underpinning of the learning process - she felt like she was learning in a vacuum as an undergrad - they were trying to tell us what to think not how to think.

By the time I graduated Social Theory, which had been a key compulsory in my Degree programme [Behavioural Sciences] when I signed up, had been dropped from the curriculum.
We both went on to teach and believe me