News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

So long, Sarah. You won't be missed.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 26, 2009, 10:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

QuoteFAIRBANKS, Alaska – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin steps down Sunday giving few clues about her political future, which has been clouded by ethics probes, mounting legal bills and dwindling popularity.

A few things are known: She is scheduled to speak Aug. 8 at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California, and has said she plans to write a book, campaign for political candidates from coast to coast and build a right-of-center coalition.

She also plans to continue speaking her mind on the social networking site Twitter.

"Wrapped up Anch Gov's Picnic, awesome," she wrote in a message posted Saturday. "Now road trip to Fairbanks for farewell speech/changing of the guard. Camper full of kids & coffee."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090726/ap_on_re_us/us_palin_resignation

Twitter.    :lulz:

So long, Sarah.  We won't be seeing you again.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Captain Utopia

She was demonstrably more moronic and vapid than W, and was almost one heartbeat away from being potus. That was a bit of a mindfuck. There are decent odds that McCain won't survive Obama's first term, at which point that issue will be revisited in more horrifying detail. She still has support, but without a national stage to reinforce it, that's surely going to dwindle?

Overall, I think she did great work undermining faith in the established political systems and the media who were compelled to treat her candidacy seriously by the restrictions of the two-party game. I mean, yes - her contributions weren't a game-changer, but every little helps.

Iason Ouabache

Her Twitter account: http://twitter.com/AKGOVSarahPalin

Wonder if she'll change it now that she isn't the AK GOV.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

hooplala

I don't know all the ins and outs of US politics, can someone explain to me why her dropping out makes her seem MORE likely for the presidential candidacy in the future?

To me a quitter is just a quitter.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Because if you're going to be President, you'll have to give up your previous seat of office anyway.  Plus it shows boldness, giving up a position you've already got to go after a very difficult one to obtain, and no-one gets to be President without at least a bit of crazy risktaking in their behaviour.

Also because Bill Kristol, who started the idea that her resignation was the beginning of a Presidential bid, is a nutter who has lost the ability to engage critically with reality, and doesn't realize that Palin is essentially useless and unreliable.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on July 28, 2009, 09:14:48 PM
I don't know all the ins and outs of US politics, can someone explain to me why her dropping out makes her seem MORE likely for the presidential candidacy in the future?

I think most of America is in the same situation as you.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Quote from: Hoopla on July 28, 2009, 09:14:48 PM

Yeah, but she is quitting for them.  To save them from the horrible expenses of all those ethic charges which actually weren't extra expenses because the state of Alaska keeps counsel on payroll whether or not they are used. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Da6s

If your career and reputation is ruined by the truth of all your shortcomings being told, then you can't make bukoos of money by writing books and launching a speaking tour.

Just ask Mark Foley, Mark Sanford, or any other would be politician that's fallen from grace and missed the neverending paychecks.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Cramulus

her running for president: awesome
here's why

1. her constituency (primarily) consist of goobers who are easily swayed by putting your hand over your heart and saying "America", "Mother", and "God".
2. if the right wing manages to put forth a candidate with a shot at winning, Palin's camp will be divided and confused. Where's the republican party? Won't somebody please think of the children?
3. I mean seriously, she's not going to win. Go ahead and run. That's term 2 for mah man Barack, who is still looking better than those other stooges the left wing came up with.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

AFK

Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2009, 05:16:11 AM
Har.  The Bill Kristol/Jon Stewart interview last night was AWESOME.  http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-july-27-2009/bill-kristol-extended-interview

I saw an excerpt of that one on Countdown last night, the part where Jon Stewart very adeptly cornered Kristol into admitting that the government can operate a top-class health care system (for the military) and that they can do it very well. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

I knew, as soon as they flashed the "WATCH TEH WHOLE INTERVIEW ONLINE" that Stewart was going for the kill. That was some awesome television. I stood up and clapped. It was such an expertly laid trap and Kristol went for it hook line and sinker.

Jenne

His backpedaling was awesome to watch.  I don't know WHY people like him go on that show, or the Bill Maher show for that matter, but damn it's good TeeVee.