News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

New guy over here...

Started by Dimocritus, July 29, 2009, 06:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

Okay, so I recently discovered Discordianism and I am genuinely intrigued by all that it entails. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what is required reading and what is simply suggested reading. I'm just about finished with the Illuminatus! Trilogy, but I came under the impression that these books are not regarded as significant sources of Discordian "doctrine." Also, reading on a computer really pisses me off and fucks up my back, so how much of the required reading comes printed on old fashioned paper? Thanks in advance. Unless you are a prick.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Dimo1138 on July 29, 2009, 06:01:37 PM
you are a prick.
Thanks, you seem to be pre-qualified. I'm not sure that even if there was such a thing as a required reading list, that it could ever be agreed upon. You may be given suggestions, and you're free to follow or ignore them as you wish. You're also free to consider yourself a Discordian at any point. Whether or not other people who consider themselves Discordian would agree, is another matter. Of course, you're free to consider yourself a Discordian who doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks you should think about yourself. And there isn't really a correct answer.

Cain

I would say the only required reading is the Principia Discordia and Illuminatus!  There are lots of other things you could read, but those two pretty much cover the essentials, and everything else is merely supplementary by comparison.

And naturally, both of those are available in dead-tree format, though you may have to work hard at finding them.

LMNO

It's all suggested reading.

There is no doctrine.

And all documents can be printed out.

That said...

Principia Discordia (so you can get the old jokes out of the way)
Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology
The Black Iron Prison
Godel Escher Bach
Naked Lunch
Listen, Little Man!
The Book of Lies
The Mass Psychology of Facism

For starters...

Dimocritus

I like this place...
Is the Principia Discordia really that hard to find in the deceased plant-matter incarnation? Like, for instance, I couldn't find one at a Waldenbooks or anything? Also, is there a place where I can print really long documents for free without going to a library?

LMNO

You'd probably get the worst incarnation of it, the Steve Jackson version. (shudder).

Cain

You should be able to get the PD off Amazon, but the current publisher is in the UK, so it might take a little longer for it to arrive.

Illuminatus, AFAIK, is out of print entirely, so that would be the harder one, IMO.  But of course you've said you've almost finished it, so I'm going to guess that isn't exactly a problem.

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on July 29, 2009, 06:19:09 PM
You'd probably get the worst incarnation of it, the Steve Jackson version. (shudder).

See, this is the stuff I need to know. What is the preferred version and what is the real difference? Need input...

LMNO

Hey, does Synaptyx still offer that spiffy hardcover version?

Also, the "preferred" version is usually the "free" version...

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on July 29, 2009, 06:20:57 PM
Hey, does Synaptyx still offer that spiffy hardcover version?

I hope so.  I bought one at the start of 2008, and its a pretty snazzy edition.

Plus it has a quote from me on the back....

LMNO

Heh.  Do you have a link to give to our new friend?

Cain

the last yatto

did that hardback publisher issue ever get resolved?

also  :lulz: at BIP wiki only have 1 active link and 3 dead ones
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

AFK

Yeah, that does kind of suck.  Where the hell did they all go? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Elder Iptuous

illuminatus is oop?
they had a copy at barnesandnobles when i went there yesterday...
almost picked it up to replace the second one i've lost....