News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

The Horrible Creep of Linguistics

Started by Richter, July 30, 2009, 01:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2009, 06:53:06 PM
And you thought George W Bush was mangling the language...

...wait, he was an MBA, too...  "Strategery" makes sense, now. 

We must strategerize our core...UNNNNNNNNNNNG!  I CAN'T DO IT!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2009, 07:03:24 PM
Easy on that ticker, old man!

Bah!  If I can't rage out, why live?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Brotep

Honestly, I thought this thread would be about Noam Chomsky.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anton on July 31, 2009, 08:37:07 PM
Honestly, I thought this thread would be about Noam Chomsky.

No, that would be "The horrible creep of blame America for every bad thing in the world."

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2009, 06:53:06 PM
And you thought George W Bush was mangling the language...

...wait, he was an MBA, too...  "Strategery" makes sense, now. 

:x :lulz: :lulz: :argh!:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Richter

Quote from: MMIX on July 31, 2009, 06:47:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 31, 2009, 06:44:22 PM
Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2009, 01:42:38 PM
"Leveraging core competecies to incent the drive for bleeding edge mission critical turnkey solutions."

Yes, I actually heard the above sentence used.  For real.

That's when I reach for the bludgeon. 

"incent"  what the fuck is that shit?  :crankey:

its a verb Roger . . . you obviously don't got an MBA [Must Be an Asshole]

Load your portfolio with quarters.  Just in case.
I avoid meetings unless something is actually happening in them.
For good fun, question people when they get into that sort of language.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Epimetheus

I've never said "Bonus!" (nor heard it said), and I've never used "leverage" as a verb.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

I need to be a consultant, to teach these fuckwads how to speak English again.

Yes, it will involve negative reinforcement.

Yes, it will hurt a great deal.

No, rides to the ER will not be included.

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on August 01, 2009, 06:01:41 AM
Document, document, document.

If anyone on my payroll ever says "incent", I will fire, fire, fire.

BADGE OF HONOR

Most excellent.  I've recently had to read a couple books on business management and they're chock full of that kind of shit.   :x
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Rumckle

I still hate the word "synergy"

Fuck you Ben Mack, and your Fullerine lingo
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on August 01, 2009, 06:06:37 AM
Most excellent.  I've recently had to read a couple books on business management and they're chock full of that kind of shit.   :x

It makes up for the fact that the author doesn't know anything about management.

Business management is actually quite simple.  Either you can get the producers (and believe me, as a manager you are NOT a producer) to produce, or you can't.  Personally, I take the easy way out.  I treat my people like adults, and then fire the people that don't respond to that.