News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Breaking news on the linguistics front!

Started by LMNO, July 31, 2009, 01:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

...Apparently, the phrase "banana-eating jungle monkey" is not racist.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/07/30/2009-07-30_boston_cop_jason_barrett_suspended_for_calling_henry_louis_gates_a_jungle_monkey.html

QuoteA Boston cop who was suspended for calling Henry Louis Gates a "banana-eating jungle monkey" in a mass email insists, "I didn't mean it in a racist way."

Elder Iptuous

HA!
Quote"The words were being used to characterize behavior, not describe anyone," Barrett told WCVB-TV.

sooooo.... it was a metaphor commenting on his poor enunciation, as one with a mouth full of banana might have, along with his proclivity for 'flinging shit'?....

seriously, i'd like to hear him wriggle his way out of that comment...
:lol:

Jenne

Does this mean the beer summit went poorly?

Jenne,

Goes to bed on Eastern time these days... :(

AFK

Now why would anyone think that some cops still engage in racial profiling?  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on July 31, 2009, 01:45:36 PM

Jenne,

No, it means for every Boston cop that honestly over-reacted, there is another that's a flat-out asshole Klansman.

MMIX

Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2009, 01:47:09 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 31, 2009, 01:45:36 PM

Jenne,

No, it means for every Boston cop that honestly over-reacted, there is another that's a flat-out asshole Klansman.

Is that the Bostonian version of good cop/ bad cop?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Yeah. 

They both arrest you, but only one of them calls you a spearchucker to your face.

Bruno

Clearly not racist. Most primates have white skin.

Also, white people are hairier than blacks.
Formerly something else...

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on July 31, 2009, 02:43:11 PM
Clearly not racist. Most primates have white skin.

Also, white people are hairier than blacks.
Facts are meaningless?

Bruno

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on July 31, 2009, 04:03:57 PM
wut
Sorry - too brief. I meant that if you told those facts to the cop, he'd not give a crap since those phrases he used are loaded with meaning which better conveys his intent than "Hey, look at how our skin is coloured differently. Incidentally, I have an irrational hatred of you, and I want you to feel bad about yourself." Secondly, since we know the cops intent in using the phrase, us knowing the inaccuracy of the comparison adds no additional meaning other than the cop displays common ignorance. Finally, pointing this out to the cop, or anyone of racist intent, is not likely to meaningfully change their actions since they are more concerned with maintaining the hate, not the logical aesthetic of the insult used. Especially as the hate is directed not at monkeys, but at people of different races/backgrounds/etc.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2009, 02:00:49 PM
Yeah. 

They both arrest you, but only one of them calls you a spearchucker to your face.
Every single time I see the word "spear chucker" I can't help but think of this guy:

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Bruno

Quote from: fictionpuss on July 31, 2009, 04:14:21 PM
wut
Sorry - too brief. I meant that if you told those facts to the cop, he'd not give a crap since those phrases he used are loaded with meaning which better conveys his intent than "Hey, look at how our skin is coloured differently. Incidentally, I have an irrational hatred of you, and I want you to feel bad about yourself." Secondly, since we know the cops intent in using the phrase, us knowing the inaccuracy of the comparison adds no additional meaning other than the cop displays common ignorance. Finally, pointing this out to the cop, or anyone of racist intent, is not likely to meaningfully change their actions since they are more concerned with maintaining the hate, not the logical aesthetic of the insult used. Especially as the hate is directed not at monkeys, but at people of different races/backgrounds/etc.

Oh. I was just making fun of him for being stupid.

Also, "spearchucker" is not racist because white people also throw spears!  :p

LMNO

Oh, did I say "spearchucker"?  I meant "Porch Nigger".

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on July 31, 2009, 05:01:15 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 31, 2009, 04:14:21 PM
wut

Oh. I was just making fun of him for being stupid.
Fair enough! Speaking of stupidity, I just realised that my first and third points are almost identical.