News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Blackwater founder implicated in murder

Started by Cain, August 06, 2009, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

LMNO

Is it false memory, or did I read something about Blackwater being part of "The Family"?

Cain

Erik Prince is a multi-millionaire (possibly now billionaire) Christian fundamentalist with an authoritarian agenda and previous experience working for a Republican administration and conservative focus groups.  Its unlikely the two have not crossed paths at some point.

Especially since the Family has political connections and government clout, and Prince has an army.  Lets call it the "Gladio complex", a shadow government in search of a security force and a security force in search of an executive, attempting to link up.

Edit: just checked.  Shartlet doesn't know, his membership rolls only go up to the late 80s, and Prince became politically active during the 90s.  A shame, but still, the latent potential for such a combination is there, assuming Prince isn't chucked in a prison somewhere soon.

Jenne

See what I mean for this being fodder for The Paranoia?  AKA:  The Horrible Troof.  Makes me wanna stockpile weaponry and hie myself into the lowly dark corner where Teh Man can't get me.  (har! as if such a place exists!)

Fucking Blackwater.  Fuck you.  Meh.  We spend $$$$$$$$$ training the fucks that go into service into Blackwater, then they re-up into Blackwater, and then we pay Blackwater AGAIN for their services.

True Fucking Evil(tm), if it exists, is found THERE.

Cain

You guys should all read Government of the Shadows: Parapolitics and Criminal Sovereignty.  Not only is it very reassuring, in that it shows academics taking the problems of shadow governments, organized crime and intelligence service nastiness seriously, it also provides an excellent framework for understanding models of operation. 

Well, beyond the first chapter, which reads like complete gibberish.

Elder Iptuous

Jenne, if you want any tips on your decent into paranoid survivalism, let me know. :)

Cain, thanks for the tip. i don't know the author so i clicked on him at amazon listing for this book.  it looks like he mostly writes fiction? (or is that another eric wilson whose books pop up?)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 26, 2009, 05:55:05 PM
You guys should all read Government of the Shadows: Parapolitics and Criminal Sovereignty.  Not only is it very reassuring, in that it shows academics taking the problems of shadow governments, organized crime and intelligence service nastiness seriously, it also provides an excellent framework for understanding models of operation. 

Well, beyond the first chapter, which reads like complete gibberish.

I'll order a copy this evening. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Its pretty expensive, I can just upload it instead.

Iptuous, I'd be surprised if he was.  The book was written after a three day conference by Monash Univerisity's Law Department on the issue of parapolitics, crime and political science, so I would presume he is a law professor with experience in International Relations.  But you never know, Joseph Nye wrote some (horrible) thrillers in addition to his IR texts.

Cain

Elder Iptuous

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 26, 2009, 06:17:34 PM

I have many problems, but money isn't one of them.  And a book is a solid object that feels like a book and smells like a book.  It's a fetish of mine.

Thanks anyway, though.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Corvidia

Quote from: Iptuous on August 26, 2009, 05:01:35 PM
just a point, since nobodies mentioned it in this thread....
Blackwater is now called Xe Services LLC.....
upon starting up Badassss name was good for rep.  now, not so much.

Oh that's lovely. Xe is Xenon. Supremacy is in their damned name.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Nerve-Ending Fairy on August 26, 2009, 06:32:34 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on August 26, 2009, 05:01:35 PM
just a point, since nobodies mentioned it in this thread....
Blackwater is now called Xe Services LLC.....
upon starting up Badassss name was good for rep.  now, not so much.

Fuck yeah.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2009, 06:30:16 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 26, 2009, 06:17:34 PM

I have many problems, but money isn't one of them.  And a book is a solid object that feels like a book and smells like a book.  It's a fetish of mine.

Thanks anyway, though.

Thats true, I had forgotten that.  And yeah, I know a lot of people prefer a book in dead-tree format.  I guess I'm lucky, in that ebooks don't bother me at all.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Nerve-Ending Fairy on August 26, 2009, 06:32:34 PM

Yes, it's pronounced 'zee', to be clear, too.

Supremacy because it's a noble gas?

also from wiki:
Ramsay [discoverer of xenon] suggested the name xenon for this gas from the Greek word ξένον [xenon], neuter singular form of ξένος [xenos], meaning 'foreign(er)', 'strange(r)', or 'guest'.[20][21]

funnay, in the context.
those moozlums are just Xe-nophobic.... how rude they are to their 'guests' :D

ETA: Cain, do you have an ebook reader?