News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Horrormirth: The Sarah Palin Chronicles

Started by Cain, December 10, 2009, 10:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on December 30, 2009, 02:12:06 PM
Bump, because the NY Review of books also took a swing at Palin:

QuoteCommonsense Conservatism hinges on the not-so-tacit assumption that the average, hardworking churchgoer, like the ladies at the booth, equipped with the fundamental, God-given ability to distinguish right from wrong, is in a better position to judge, on "principle," the merits of an economic policy or the deployment of American troops abroad than "the 'experts'"—a term here unfailingly placed between derisive quotation marks. Desiccated expertise, of the kind possessed by economists, environmental scientists, and overinformed reporters from the lamestream media, clouds good judgment; Palin's life, by contrast, is presented as one of passion, sincerity, and principle. Going Rogue, in other words, is a four-hundred-page paean to virtuous ignorance.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23532

Interestingly, John Ralston Saul would claim both are as bad as each other (I need to do a writeup re: Voltaire's Bastards, if I ever finish it).

And because I got books for Xmas, I have not gotten much further with Palin, as of yet.

Mangrove

lamestream media

a four-hundred-page paean to virtuous ignorance.

I like these phrases.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

BadBeast

Quote from: - on December 15, 2009, 08:19:18 AM
Progress is slow on the Sarah Palin front, but I have a few more snippets to share:

And I remember arguing with the nun who taught catechism and tried to teach me to write the letter E. It seemed a naked letter to me, so I was determined to reinvent it. I insisted she let me improve it with at least a few more horizontal lines.

Is this implying that at the tender age of eight years old, she was rebelling against the teachings of this Nun, who jus' dun given her Nekkidletters to write with? 

QuoteGrandma was a Christian Scientist who didn't believe in doctors or medicine, and believed that physical illness was merely a manifestation of the mind.

Grandma was a stanky, demented old Witch, who sat in her own piss all day, drinkin' moonshine, and muttering to herself, about how FDR once goosed her, on a Moose hunt. Good job Grandpa never found out, or he'd have horsewhupped him, President or not!

My aunts tell me she was the hardest-working housewife they ever knew; they'd come home from school to see Grandma's bloody knuckles from her reupholsteting projects, back when they used hammers and nails

Grandma was a bare-knuckle fist fighter, but my Aunts, (who were like the Baldwin Ssiters from "The Waltons") Used to say how she worked her fingers to the bone, selflessly making sure we all had somewheres soft to sit.

Quote. He knew her potential to help secure the nation with her resources and strategic position on the globe.

"He thought it was prolly best if I stayed in Alaska, out of the way of anyone who might ask me any tough questions, like whut magazines I like to read"

QuoteMy siblings were better athletes, cuter and more sociable than I, and the only thing they had to envy about me was the special passion for reading that I shared with our mother, who we all thought ranked somewhere up there with the female saints.

I was the ugly duckling of the family, my Sisters were all prettier than me, and had more friends, but they sure was jealous when they saw me, and Momma, both reading out of books! Momma was a good Christian Woman, and tawt me to read, and write, jus' like she could. That's why my lips still move when I'm  readin' today.

My favourite story was the one about the Cat, in the Hat, me and Momma used to laugh til we was fit to bust at that one. But one cold winter, my spiteful sister, in a fit of jealousy dun threw my books on the fire. So I pulled big chunks of her hair out before they could pull me off of her. She was the one who had to wear a hat that winter, so's nobody could see the bald patches, and think she had teh aids or sometin'. I thought that was funnier than that ol' Dr Seuss anyways.

I

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4