News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Brewed Awakenings: The Hoegaarden Clone 08/13/09

Started by Suu, August 13, 2009, 03:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: ☠ Suu ☠ on August 14, 2009, 02:52:05 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on August 14, 2009, 08:59:01 AM
mmm Hoe Garden beer is delicious.

the traditional thing to consume on a sunny afternoon on a terrace on the street outside the bar is a large cool glass of Hoegaarden white with a slice of lemon (some people consider the lemon sacrilege, but it's good).

Lemon is the way to go, but it's not necessary. Have you tried an orange? Orange is more popular with Blue Moon than Hoegaarden, but it's a similar beer.

you're right, looking at your recipe it seems to be the stronger version of Hoegaarden, IIRC "grand prestige", which does go well with orange.

the "regular" one doesnt have (much?) coriander and orange zest in it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Hmm. We had no idea there was a stronger version. It appears you Eurospags are once again keeping all the good stuff to yourselves.

Also, I hope we have enough air in the carboy, cause uh...That foam is risin'.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Quote from: ☠ Suu ☠ on August 14, 2009, 11:44:44 PM
Hmm. We had no idea there was a stronger version. It appears you Eurospags are once again keeping all the good stuff to yourselves.

Also, I hope we have enough air in the carboy, cause uh...That foam is risin'.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! THE FOAM IZ RISIN'...WHATEVER SHALL WE DO....???!!!!"

I'll tell you what YOU shall do....

you shall:

and enjoy the beer when it's done. If I wanted limp-wristed sally-hangers drinking my beer, I would have asked Chuck Norris. That's right, I said it. Fuck you, Chuck. My beer could knock you down with a mere bubble from the airlock.

FUKK ALL YOU HATIZ! MAH BIER IS DA SHIZZ!

::PEACEI'MOUT::

Suu

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: ☠ Suu ☠ on August 14, 2009, 11:52:58 PM
Fine. If it go splodey you haz to clean.
:lulz:

i had a hoegaarden white earlier.. a whole pint... felt very tipsy.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I am excited to hear how this tastes.
I love the orange/coriander thing.

Suu

Suu

We were supposed to rack into the secondary today, but primary fermentation hasn't finished yet. However, the color is turning that nice Hoegaarden yellow.  :mrgreen:

Suu

Still bubblin'.

This is going to be a STRONG ASS brew.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Yeayer!!

Do you have a hydrometer to check your gravity?

We're about to start a "toilet hooch" type cider.

Suu

We never took a starting gravity, so we're going by, "I think it looks good to secondary, what do you think?"

:lulz:

General Stuart has never had a problem before with his beer by not using a hydrometer, so I trust his judgement. From what I understand you don't technically have to rack to a secondary anyway, but I think we're going to since we have a lot of funk in the bottom of the carboy. This way it's a bit clearer when we keg and force carbonate.

Sir Squid Diddimus

It isn't mandatory.
Just wondering what the ABV would be.

Suu

We're using a witbier yeast, which is genetically engineered to go so far from what I understand. So if it goes as it should, we should have about 6% ABV. I just don't want it to get undrinkable.

Triple Zero

Regular Hoegaarden is about 5 or 6% ABV, but the "Grand Prestige" version (that you appear to be making) is something like 8.6% ABV afaicr.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

They need to import more Hoegaardens over here.  :argh!:

Here's some pics:

First day we had the krausen.

Today.

That's only been about a week and a half. The color change is pretty cool.

In the other carboy is a lemon, ginger, orange, and long pepper mead.