News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Choruses from the Rock: Hurry, a short rant

Started by Pariah, August 16, 2009, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pariah

People like to hurry. Now a days it's become part of the human condition. We like to hurry from place to place but's just a small part of the true journey, from time to time. In middle school we pray for highschool. In highschool we pray for college where after that we rush out into the working world where we get down on our (now extremely sore) knees and pray for  retirement. We treat each day as just a segment of the journey to the next milestone and when we reach that milestone, all it begins is the journey to the next one.

I wonder what happens when us humanoids reach retirement when we finally have been shuttled through 65 years of cattle drives and left us roam free with cash in our pocket and any where in the world to go. If you an American according to the average life expectancy you have  13 years left. Does 13 years of pure freedom account for 65 years of being in a trap? Especially if you're eyesight is gone and you hearing is shot.  That's the grand joke. We've hurried so much through life towards retirement, we go so fast and we lose parts of ourselves along the way that we are just a burnt-out husks of what we used to be.

I suppose this could be called pessimistic. But that's not quite true because there is any solution to this problem. You have to work sometime, that's a fact of life. Even your vacation days cut it most of the time. The answer is side roads. Places and times where we can lose our sense of time. Retire every weekend and every summers break.

Or kill me

Partly inspired by TGRR's Sermon #63
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20685.msg698824#msg698824
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Captain Utopia

I don't think that hurrying is new to the human condition, but I think our technology enables us to become more hurried, and in return we enable our technology:

For the most part I'm thankful that other people want to rush and hurry. It's really not that difficult to take yourself out of that mindset for at least long enough to make you start thinking of ways to reduce the ways we rush towards death. Protip: much of it involves manipulation of the fact that most people are rushing too fast to notice that you're not in it for the finish-line medal, even as you cheer them on.

I don't see that changing until we have a reliable way to inform a group of people (from a forum, to a nation, to a planet) that their preconceptions are stupid and ill-considered, and that they are spectacularly wrong on several crucial points. Once that comes into play, all bets are off.

The "side roads"/"retire every weekend" answer you give seems to fit the xtreme-sports/off-road/work-hard&play-hard/make-your-own-path vibe which marketing companies seem to have been howling increasingly loudly in recent years.

Pariah

Pariah

Quote from: L.D.D. Szarowka on August 17, 2009, 07:57:32 AM
seems a good write up for a 14 year old

:weary:
This...
Is why I didn't want to tell people how young I was.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Buckets O' Pariah on August 17, 2009, 09:52:22 PM
Quote from: L.D.D. Szarowka on August 17, 2009, 07:57:32 AM
seems a good write up for a 14 year old

:weary:
This...
Is why I didn't want to tell people how young I was.
I don't believe that you're 14, so ignore the age-based condescension already and get on with defending your ideas!

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Pariah

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 17, 2009, 06:26:05 AM
The "side roads"/"retire every weekend" answer you give seems to fit the xtreme-sports/off-road/work-hard&play-hard/make-your-own-path vibe which marketing companies seem to have been howling increasingly loudly in recent years.

Which was entirely accident
:sad:

Also I disown this rant

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Pariah Carrey on August 17, 2009, 11:04:34 PM
Also I disown this rant
It's your call, but I thought you were going somewhere interesting.

Pariah

Exactly. Going somewhere.
Pretty much this entire piece I came up with in my head last night.
It definitely needs some development

Pariah

And I appreciate it. For real.
All I'm saying is agreeing it needs some development

Payne

Quote from: Pariah Carrey on August 16, 2009, 07:15:26 PM
   People like to hurry. Now a days it's become part of the human condition. We like to hurry from place to place but's just a small part of the true journey, from time to time. In middle school we pray for highschool. In highschool we pray for college where after that we rush out into the working world where we   get down on our (now extremely sore) knees and pray for  retirement. We treat each day as just a segment of the journey to the next milestone and when we reach that milestone, all it begins is the journey to the next one.

This kind of reminds me of the "Paths" thing RWHN and others were discussing last year (or so), and I've been turning over my mind a lot recently, having come to a certain cross roads in my own life. We are all destined to die at some point, even Roger who is a GOD. With that ultimate destination in mind, it's no  surprise that we want to break it up into little chunks (milestones).

The point I see you trying to make here is that we shouldn't be "skipping forward" to what we believe are the best bits, and that we need to appreciate all the good shit we have in each arbitrary "mile" for what it is. Time, after all, moves at a pretty much constant "speed" from our point of view.

I wonder what happens when us humanoids reach retirement when we finally have been shuttled through 65 years of cattle drives and left us roam free with cash in our pocket and any where in the world to go. If you an American according to the average life expectancy you have  13 years left. Does 13 years of pure freedom account for 65 years of being in a trap? Especially if you're eyesight is gone and you hearing is shot.  That's the grand joke. We've hurried so much through life towards retirement, we go so fast and we lose parts of ourselves along the way that we are just a burnt-out husks of what we used to be.

Everything I've seen is that the same shit happens to you when you're 65 as when you're 16. You just have more experience to call on. If you've been beavering away and sacrificing what you term 'Pure Freedom' for 65 years, why would you do any different for the last 13 years?

I don't think anyone really loses anything by focusing entirely on getting to retirement, they just condition themselves (easy for a human to do to itself) to see their world as being Just That Way, and will likely be disillusioned in retirement when they get there.

I suppose this could be called pessimistic. But that's not quite true because there is any solution to this problem. You have to work sometime, that's a fact of life. Even your vacation days cut it most of the time. The answer is side roads. Places and times where we can lose our sense of time. Retire every weekend and every summers break.

You need to retire every day. Work is work, not life. It's an essential part of life, but only a part, and there is no reason to gear everything else in your life towards it.

QuoteCome on underachievers
     Come on all you underpass believers
     We'll give you the skill for street livin'
     It feels pretty great to just give in,
     so just give in

Dropouts, repeat offenders
      We'll take the weary, weak, the street bartenders
      Show 'em the best times are on the street
      Satisfaction through the thrill of defeat,
      ain't it sweet

Once you stop yourself from caring
      About owning stuff, that's when you wanna start sharing
      Cuz all the things we want are cheap or free
      I define success as not working
      and I live like a king

We've got no competition
      We've got no accomplished mission
      We just wanna live and let others live
      Of course we'll take anything you wanna give,
      so fucking give

Come on, dance like a retard
      Life's an endless party not a punch card
      I don't understand some people's drive
      Let's just fuck and drink and be alive,
      not just survive

NOFX- The Agony of Victory

Richter

People like to hurry. Now a days it's become part of the human condition. We like to hurry from place to place but's just a small part of the true journey, from time to time. In middle school we pray for highschool. In highschool we pray for college where after that we rush out into the working world where we get down on our (now extremely sore) knees and pray for  retirement. We treat each day as just a segment of the journey to the next milestone and when we reach that milestone, all it begins is the journey to the next one.

Or kill me

Partly inspired by TGRR's Sermon #63
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=20685.msg698824#msg698824

Works for me!  The time soemone decides this sort of thing isn't worth talking about is the time someone doesn't hear it. 

Quote from: Payne on August 18, 2009, 11:01:44 AM
You need to retire every day. Work is work, not life. It's an essential part of life, but only a part, and there is no reason to gear everything else in your life towards it.

You can retire anytime you like.  Look at the rushing about, the work, and whatever everyone else thinks is so balls - aflame important (they aren't).  Nothing short of direct threats to your life are worth the adrenaline they get credit for, and it's perfectly possible to take things seriously without freaking out over them.  Flunking a class, getting a bad midyear review, or delivering a report a week late doesn't deserve panic, it's just a bad play in a very long game.  Keep the effort, loose the strife.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Payne

Quote from: Richter on August 18, 2009, 01:41:50 PM
Quote from: Payne on August 18, 2009, 11:01:44 AM

You can retire anytime you like.  Look at the rushing about, the work, and whatever everyone else thinks is so balls - aflame important (they aren't).  Nothing short of direct threats to your life are worth the adrenaline they get credit for, and it's perfectly possible to take things seriously without freaking out over them.  Flunking a class, getting a bad midyear review, or delivering a report a week late doesn't deserve panic, it's just a bad play in a very long game.  Keep the effort, loose the strife.

Indeed. Pretty much what I was trying to say.

I actually enjoy a bit of strife and panic once in a while though (even in myself, never mind in others). I prefer to not have others say I have to be that way though.

I guess the real thing is work for yourself, not the bosses, and have fun for yourself too.

Richter

Exaclty.  I think I missed that sentiment on my first pass through.
You can do what you love, and it will still drive you nuts.  Have a job you can Slack, and you'll have a much more relaxed life. 
I'm a BIG fan of only having jobs that I can leave at the office too.  No money is worth wrecking my down time.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat