News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Why is Discordia Irrelevant in the Year 2009?

Started by Cramulus, August 18, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 19, 2009, 02:29:28 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on August 18, 2009, 11:58:16 PMdont ta
People are starting to take us for granted (among weird/underground circles on the West Coast, anyway) so this is the time to lie low, build up a body of work, and emerge again far, far weirder and more fully-developed than anyone remembers us being.

or maybe time to get known outside the West Coast?

or maybe, take this wrong, but I can't really imagine living in an environment where people take discordianism for granted? only a small group of my friends know even what it is, and less than one hand really knows what it is about.
i can totally imagine that you may have surrounded yourself with friends and acquantainces in a social network that sees Discordianism as "just another crazy thing", "for granted" or "yet another faux religion", and you are most definitely not the only one. I get the same idea from Suu/Richter, StMae and Cram.
but if your entire world knows discordianism and takes it for granted, doesnt that mean it's perhaps time to step out of that particular comfort zone? cause if you sort of turn your complaint around, doesn't it basically mean that you are in a situation where people will tell you what you expect to hear? not that you always agree with what you expect to hear, but will it teach you anything new?

well just some critical thoughts to mull over for a while, if you like.

apart from that I'm of course stinking jealous that some of you people actually have Discordians living within driving distance :-P

Not complaining, actually. I'm fine with it the way it is.

Sure, my friends are largely weirdos, but also Discordianism started on the West Coast, and there are a lot of active offshoots of Discordianism, a very active Cacophony Society with highly visible public events like SantaCon and the Mad Hatters Tea Party, etc., so basically a lot of people have heard of Discordianism and aren't really fazed by it at all. Burning Man was started by a bunch of Discordians, so, you know. Visibility.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 19, 2009, 03:37:50 PM

and we are free discordia, we can find new tricks. hell, I only talk to people about the crazy woman when I think they are susceptible to it. i leave the hotdog buns out of it entirely (I always thought that part of discordia was kind of retarded and about eating the menu. Plus, hotdogs suck)

I always thought that the whole point of that piece of doctrine was that it's part of TFY,S: It introduces the idea of a stupid, pointless, self-contradictory doctrine within a religion whose doctrine is anti-doctrine, and if you wade through it you realize that you should eat a hot dog or not, with a bun or without, whenever you damn well please.

LMNO

Kai

Discordia is irrelevant because satire is dead. Reality has killled satire, so the only way to resurrect Discordia is to kill reality.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on August 19, 2009, 06:53:57 PM
Discordia is irrelevant because satire is dead. Reality has killled satire, so the only way to resurrect Discordia is to kill reality.

Hell yeah!

Verbal Mike

Ungh, to clarify, I didn't mean that Pastafarians etc. are honest-to-Goddess Really Real Discordians or Discordians in any way. I just meant that since we can half-reasonably claim to be part of the movement that they result from (20th-century self-ridiculing irreligion) we should claim they're Discordians to make Discordia look more significant. I think it wouldn't be entirely dishonest, and even if it is, since when is Discordia about the honest truth?

But this discussion has gone in a more interesting direction so ignore that noise. :)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on August 19, 2009, 06:57:43 PM

Hell yeah!

Blarg.  The only way to ressurrect Discordia is to punch a motherfucker in the nads.

IN THE NADS!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Discordia is irrelevant because satire is dead. Reality has killled satire, so the only way to resurrect Discordia is to punch a motherfucker IN THE NADS.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

This sounds exactly like the stereotypical smoky 60s jazz club full of semi revolutionary hippies spouting off philosophical nonsense and being really deep and such :-) and groovy

Quote from: Kai on August 20, 2009, 03:13:06 AM
Discordia is irrelevant because satire is dead. Reality has killled satire, so the only way to resurrect Discordia is to punch a motherfucker IN THE NADS.

this, is a lot better ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Hey daddy-o, if you can't grok what it means to "kill reality," then you just can't dig, man.
   \

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

A hippie would never be in a jazz club.  Get your American cultural stereotypes right.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We are the direct descendants of the Beat movement; show some respect for your elders.