News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Bread

Started by NWC, August 19, 2009, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

I made a really good bread 2 days ago, well actually I made 2 breads, one banana bread and one real bread. The normal bread was just a good bread recipe with mustard and emmentalle cheese rolled into and baked into it. And it's awesome! Now I was to make a bunch more bread, but interesting stuff you wouldn't be able to find in a store. Ideas?
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

LMNO

Man, I haven't made bread in a few years.  Somewhere I've got recipies kicking around for ciabatta, standard french, and focaccia.  I use a food processor to make the dough, so you don't have to do much kneading.  It does have to rise twice, though.

NWC

I'm using primitive tools. I don't even have a mixing bowl, I use a casserole dish for that. But I don't mind so much, it feels even more home made.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I put all sorts of stuff in my bread. I dunno... just toss stuff in? Dried apricots? Coconut? Shredded beef?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Awesome Bread for Lazy People:

3 cups flour + extra for dusting
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
cornmeal or wheat bran as needed

Combine flour, yeast, and salt in large bowl. Add 1 5/8 cups of water, stir until blended (don't overdo it). Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for a minimum of 12 hours, up to 18 hours, at room temperature.

Surface of dough will be dotted with bubbles when it's ready. Flour up a work surface and put the dough on it, sprinkle with moar flour. Fold the dough over itself once or twice without overhandling it. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Gently shape dough into a ball. Coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth like a bath towel) with flour, wheat bran, or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and cover with another towel. Allow it to rise for about 2 hours.

At least a half-hour before the dough is ready, preheat over to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot with a lid in the oven as it heats (dutch oven, Pyrex, cast iron, etc). When dough is ready, remove the pot from the oven, being careful so as not to burn your dumb ass. Slide hand under towel and let the dough roll off the towel into the pot. Shake the pot a bit if the dough is unevenly distributed, but don't fuss over it. Cover with lid (remembering that the lid is still hot as shit you dumb fuck) and bake for 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake for another 15-30 minutes until it is a sexilicious brown color. Cool on a rack (a metal rack, you pervert).

No kneading involved, and this recipe is incredibly forgiving. You could put your dick in it and it would still be a decent loaf of bread.

Oh, and if you could find that ciabatta recipe, LMNO, I'd be very interested.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The recipe sounds tasty, and made me  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Replacing 1 cup of the flour with rye flour and sprinkling the dough with caraway seeds and kosher salt is by far my favorite variation on it.

Nast

No knead bread is awesome! I made some once, but my oven has the gall to bake in half the time, so it was kinda scorched. Nevertheless, best bread I ever made. I'll definitely save this recipe.  :)
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nasturtiums on August 19, 2009, 10:15:10 PM
No knead bread is awesome! I made some once, but my oven has the gall to bake in half the time, so it was kinda scorched. Nevertheless, best bread I ever made. I'll definitely save this recipe.  :)

You can always get an inexpensive oven thermometer and figure out how much too hot your oven is, and adjust accordingly... mine's almost 50 degrees hot.

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Nasturtiums on August 19, 2009, 10:15:10 PM
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Sir Squid Diddimus

NWC

today: banana bread and focaccia

banana bread: I went a different route than usual, and added chocolate chunks as well as peanut butter into the batter. However, I spaced on the baking soda, so it's not really bread. more like banana brownies. Still good though

focaccia: never made it before, used a recipe I found online. Basically a standard bread recipe plus olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Well sun dried tomatoes are expensive, so a day ahead I made them myself in the oven. Delicious and fun, recommended! Yeah then you throw those in the bread dough and mmmm mmm it was delicious. Fairly easy to make as well. it's very pretty too

Jenne

Haven't made bread in AGES.  The weather's been cool enough here, I should really get into baking again.  Before the Indian Summer/Santa Anas arrive and any hope of decent coolness to battle the kitchen heat is gone for months and months.

Rumckle

Cainad:
I used your bread recipe yesterday, it is damn good bread (although I slightly over cooked it).

It's not trolling, it's just satire.