News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Skeptics and dismissiveness.

Started by Kai, August 23, 2009, 02:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Anton on August 26, 2009, 08:20:08 PM
What if they didn't really know what the placebo effect means?  Then it would still be the regular belief-based placebo effect.  Eh?  Eh?

some of what i read in looking that up makes me wonder where the patients really are on the spectrum of belief.  for instance, one of the prescription brand name placebos is called Obecalp.....  seriously, if you know what a placebo is, i would think, even if you didn't in full awareness catch what the name was, there would be some little homonculus in your head screaming 'its a fake, buddy!'.....
also, there were examples in that article where the patient was told it's a sugar pill, asked if they knew what that means, explained to that they don't understand why it works, and then it still does....
they also point out that the size of the treatment makes a difference. a big sugar pill works better than a small sugar pill.  a shot works better than a big sugar pill. an iv works even better. and fake surgery better yet....
i wonder if there has been a study regarding whether there is better results from surgery when there is religious pomp and ritual present at the time?

LMNO

Faith healing/psychic surgery, anyone?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on August 26, 2009, 08:35:09 PM
psychic surgery, anyone?

Goddammit, my mother believes in that shit.  And she should know better, she's a trained fucking scientist.  Then, when she's shown how the fraud is done, she says "Well, yes, but not ALL of them are frauds".

You ever wonder who gets taken in by these assholes?  I don't.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

the distinction between fraud and genuine treatment with placebo isn't totally unambiguous, though.  obviously the quacks in 3rd world countries that make a killing by treating peoples cancers by palming chicken livers are scumbuckets, but the article i posted with its example of the placebo surgery for knee arthritis is not quite the same, right?

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on August 26, 2009, 08:33:27 PM
Quote from: Anton on August 26, 2009, 08:20:08 PM
What if they didn't really know what the placebo effect means?  Then it would still be the regular belief-based placebo effect.  Eh?  Eh?

some of what i read in looking that up makes me wonder where the patients really are on the spectrum of belief.  for instance, one of the prescription brand name placebos is called Obecalp.....  seriously, if you know what a placebo is, i would think, even if you didn't in full awareness catch what the name was, there would be some little homonculus in your head screaming 'its a fake, buddy!'.....
also, there were examples in that article where the patient was told it's a sugar pill, asked if they knew what that means, explained to that they don't understand why it works, and then it still does....
they also point out that the size of the treatment makes a difference. a big sugar pill works better than a small sugar pill.  a shot works better than a big sugar pill. an iv works even better. and fake surgery better yet....
i wonder if there has been a study regarding whether there is better results from surgery when there is religious pomp and ritual present at the time?

I've heard that patients who believe people praying for them will get god's help actually end up WORSE from surgery, because they're less careful.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Quote from: Iptuous on August 26, 2009, 08:33:27 PM

Actually, there was a study about the effectiveness of prayer...is that close enough?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

Kai about beat me to it up there, but the synopsis is the first couple of sentences in the article: 
QuotePrayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

Elder Iptuous

hmm....
if this is, in fact, the case, why the discrepancy?
what's the difference?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on August 26, 2009, 08:55:31 PM
hmm....
what's the difference?

NEVER FUCKING PRAY.

You don't know what is listening.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

:lulz: 

Shit...I gotta quote you on that one, Rog.

Jenne

hmm....
what's the difference?

Do you mean the discrepancy in placebo effect vs. the "power" of prayer?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Well, the placebo medication means that the individual is engaged in a daily (or multiple times daily) ritual. They are performing Action... repetitively. The other poor schmucks with the prayer are having someone else do the work and just waiting for the results...

maybe...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

They put it down to "performance anxiety" in the article..."If they are praying for me, why aren't I getting better?"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2009, 09:06:25 PM
They put it down to "performance anxiety" in the article...

Don't worry Jesus, it happens to everyone sometimes... It's not your fault.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 26, 2009, 09:07:17 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2009, 09:06:25 PM
They put it down to "performance anxiety" in the article...

Don't worry Jesus, it happens to everyone sometimes... It's not your fault.

More like:  Jesus Hates Me--I'm Not Well in 24 Hours or Less

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2009, 08:59:39 PM
hmm....
what's the difference?

NEVER FUCKING PRAY.

You don't know what is listening.

i actually had a dream about just this a few nights ago:

begin dream description/
i was helping some way-too-drunk guy walk down the street of my neighborhood to get him to my house to safety.  it was particularly difficult because he was stumbling drunk, it was dark night, and its on a particularly steep hill in my neighborhood.  i looked up to the sky and prayed for help.  as i am a pantheist, my prayers are just, sort-of, generalized things to the universe as a whole. (which is odd, now that i think about it, since i direct them 'up' when thats silly in the context....) next thing i know, theres a fuckin UFO that lands behind me.  (oddly it was made out of brick and was about the size of a McMansion type house)  The luminous grey alien that steps out indicates that he's here to answer my call for help like he's the fucking AAA.  i excitedly wave him off with what i figure must be a universal 'my bad' look on my face.  he seemed annoyed as he left....  i dragged the drunk guys ass to the house by myself after that....
/dream description