US Lutheran Church to Ordain Gay Ministers - impacts, thoughts.

Started by Kai, August 23, 2009, 08:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8216604.stm

I wonder about the result of this. Will there be a large split and new denominations from the Lutheran Church? Is this a slowly snowballing effect that started with the Anglicans ordaining a gay man? Will we see more measures like this pass in the next several years in denominations such as the Presbyterian Church?

Or, most importantly, is this going to cause the moral majority Movement to become even more crazy and dangerous?

I'm not quite sure where my opinions lie.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

What's this nonsense about appeasing the moral majority?  They do not understand compromise.  The only way to prevent Matthew Shepards is to show them you won't back down.  They do not respect reasonableness, they are either at your feet or at your throat.

Fuck 'em.  I hope this gives them screaming fits.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

If the Lutheran Church has splits and issues with it internally, it's not my problem, but more power to them if this flies.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Quote from: Kai on August 23, 2009, 08:13:49 PM
Or, most importantly, is this going to cause the moral majority Movement to become even more crazy and dangerous?

At this point, nothing is going to appease them anyway. 

Like Roger said, they're either at your throat or at your feet.  Might as well have them choking on their own spit, while they're down there.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2009, 08:39:08 PM

Like Roger said, they're either at your throat or at your feet. 

I totally ripped off Lord Kitchener, there.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

I thought it sounded familiar.  He said it about Arabs, right?

Either way, the description does fit the Christian Theocrats in the Movement.  Ask LMNO, he's been reading "The Family" by Jeff Shartlet:

Quote"You guys know about Genghis Khan?" he asked. "Genghis was a man with a vision. He  conquered"—David stood on the couch under the map, tracing, with his hand, half the northern hemisphere—"nearly everything. He devastated nearly everything. His enemies? He beheaded them." David swiped a finger across his throat. "Dop, dop, dop, dop."

Genghis Khan's genius, David went on, lay in his understanding that there could be only one king. When Genghis entered a defeated city, he would call in the local headman. Conversion to the Khan's cause was not an option, as Genghis was uninterested in halfhearted deputies. Instead, said David, Genghis would have the man stufed into a crate, and over the crate's surface would be spread a tablecloth, on which a wonderful meal would be arrayed.

"And then, while the man suffocated, Genghis ate, and he didn't even hear the man's screams." David stood on the couch, a inger in the air. "Do you know what that means?"

To their credit, my brothers did not. Perhaps on account of my earlier insight, David turned to me.

"I think so," I said. "Out with the old, in with the new."

Yes, he nodded. "Christ's parable of the wineskins. You can't pour new into old." One day, he continued, some monks from Europe show up in Genghis Khan's court. Genghis welcomes them in the name of God. Says that in truth, they worship the same great Lord. Then why, the monks ask, must he conquer the world?  "I don't ask," says Genghis. "I submit."

David returned to his chair. "We elect our leaders," he said. "Jesus elects his."  He reached over and squeezed the arm of Pavel. "Isn't that great?" David said. "That's the way everything in life happens. If you're a person known to be around Jesus, you can go and do anything. And that's who you guys are. When you leave  here, you're not only going to know the value of Jesus, you're going to know the people who rule the world. It's about vision. Get your vision straight, then relate. Talk to the people who rule the world, and help  them obey. Obey Him. If I obey Him myself, I help others do the same. You know why? Because I become a warning. We become a warning. We warn everybody that the future king is coming. Not just of this country or that but of the world." Then he pointed at the map, toward the Khan's vast, reclaimable empire.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2009, 08:45:48 PM
I thought it sounded familiar.  He said it about Arabs, right?

Yep.  Right after he avenged Chinese Gordon.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 23, 2009, 08:26:05 PM
What's this nonsense about appeasing the moral majority?  They do not understand compromise.  The only way to prevent Matthew Shepards is to show them you won't back down.  They do not respect reasonableness, they are either at your feet or at your throat.

Fuck 'em.  I hope this gives them screaming fits.

I don't think appeasing them was what I was going for. Was more wondering just how crazy and dangerous they're all going to get before they finally fall to pieces. I see more abortion clinic bombings in our future, and worse.

But yeah, I don't mind seeing them upset over this. More like a pleasure.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Kai on August 23, 2009, 08:13:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8216604.stm

I wonder about the result of this. Will there be a large split and new denominations from the Lutheran Church? Is this a slowly snowballing effect that started with the Anglicans ordaining a gay man? Will we see more measures like this pass in the next several years in denominations such as the Presbyterian Church?
Of course there will be splits. Schisms is what Christians do best.

QuoteOr, most importantly, is this going to cause the moral majority Movement to become even more crazy and dangerous?

I'm not quite sure where my opinions lie.
I keep thinking that they can't get any crazier but they keep surpassing my expectations. I don't think that they will stop until someone takes it a bit too far and innocent people die (ala Oklahoma City). It's all fun and games until someone bombs a preschool.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Corvidia

I can't wait to hear my grandmother and father's reaction. :lulz:

I think the older/traditional ones, like my grandmother's family, aren't going to be thrilled. Some are going to split off, I think, but that will be decided by the board of elders for individual churches. I honestly don't know if there would be a movement, though.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Iason Ouabache

:lol: I just realized that this will be EXACTLY like the split of the Triennial Baptists and Southern Baptists back in the 1840's. Which means that the anti-homosexual Lutheran should be issuing an apology somewhere around 2160.
    \

Chairman Risus

I don't know. They said it was going to be a big deal when the episcopalians got their gay bishop, but nothing really happened.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on August 23, 2009, 11:56:10 PM

I don't think appeasing them was what I was going for. Was more wondering just how crazy and dangerous they're all going to get before they finally fall to pieces.

I think I'd like to find out.

Thurnez Isa

Does this mean the Lutheran's are throwing out the entire book of Exodus now?
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 24, 2009, 05:53:10 AM
Does this mean the Lutheran's are throwing out the entire book of Exodus now?
It's Leviticus that talks shit about "men lying with men". Most Christians threw out Leviticus a long time ago. You'd run out of stones and bonfires before you ran out of people who have broken the laws in that book.
    \